Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: New G23 for me.

New G23 for me.

Well: I have been saying that I was looking for a Glock 23 for some time now, and one finally fell into my lap about a month ago.

I don't buy new Glocks as I can rebuild one quickly and cheaply, but this one was nearly new. It still had the copper anti-seize Glock uses for assembly on the slide ways, and looked like it had only been test fired. Essentially NIB with 6, 10 round mags! $500! I call that a deal!

I immediately installed an Extended Mag Release and Slide Catch, and got a Kydex Paddle Holster for it. I also reworked the Trigger Safety like the rest of my guns.

Cammenga, the Army Compass Outfit, is bringing out a line of Night Sights since they are one of the few outfits that are allowed to handle Tritium and do it for many other outfits. They decided it might be a smart idea to make their own line, and they have promised me a set for the gun. It pays to go to the SHOT Show and make friends, and this relationship will prove to be profitable.

The whole reason I wanted a G23 is because it is one of the guns you can swap the barrel out for a 9mm barrel and it will run just fine. That way by simply carrying the extra barrel, you have the option of two different calibers, one being probably being the most common pistol ammo out there today. So good to have in a SHTF situation. This gun will replace my CZ82 as my "closest to me" gun.

So anyway now I have 4 Glocks and they are all set up the exact same way, and run the same way, and the triggers are all the same as well. Pretty easy to pick up any of them and make hits.

This along with my new CA Legal AR are very likely the last guns I will buy as I now have virtually every gun I have ever wanted. I have several Project guns that I will complete and shoot, but I hardly need or even want any more. I will probably be selling off some of my collection soon to stay tuned.

Here's some pics of it.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-28-2017 at 04:52 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

You can also add a 357 Sig barrel for it in addition to a 9mm. I have an XD subcompact Mod2 with all 3 barrels, it is very handy.

Boolit Buddy
    I said to myself "this is the last one I will buy" a few times
    atleast you left yourself a out by using "likely"

Banned

glock 23 is probably my favorite black gun in the safe right now.

Boolit Master
    "The whole reason I wanted a G23 is because it is one of the guns you can swap the barrel out for a 9mm barrel and it will run just fine. That way by simply carrying the extra barrel, you have the option of two different calibers, one being probably being the most common pistol ammo out there today."

You may change your mind when you start picking up unfired cartridges from the floor. I would urge you to get the correct magazines for the 9MM. You will soon find that the 40 mag does not work out well with the 9MM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Try 4.5 grains HP-38 and a 175 grain boolit, I bet your 23 will really like it. If you would like to try some of my Lee 401-175-TC just let me know.

So, a 9mm barrel and mag is all you need to shoot a different cartridge? The .40 extractor and ejector will work just fine?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Check the numbers in your reloading manual.
    40 rim diameter .424
    9MM rim diameter .394
    Difference .030

Then consider that you are only dealing with half of that per side. Compare that with the thickness of a business card. Works fine for my Glock.

Boolit Master

When I am plinking/target shooting with a 23 but in 9mm, I don't bother to change out the ejector/extractor/firing pin. I've had no malfunctions either. Never tried the 9 in a 40 mag.

If I were to carry it, no, that's different. Then I change out all three and 9mm mags of course. Not willing to chance a problem I can avoid.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

New G23 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    When I am plinking/target shooting with a 23 but in 9mm, I don't bother to change out the ejector/extractor/firing pin. I've had no malfunctions either. Never tried the 9 in a 40 mag.

If I were to carry it, no, that's different. Then I change out all three and 9mm mags of course. Not willing to chance a problem I can avoid.

Cat
    I've ran 9mm in the 40 mags using a storm lake conversion without a hickup. Non FTF no FTE ...

Banned
    The G19 & G23 are excellent pistols. They fall into that perfect mix of size/weight/capacity. They do a lot things well.
    The old SIG 228 comes close to being the other option in that class but the mid-sized Glocks are generally less expensive.

Good find !

Boolit Grand Master
    "Last gun I will ever buy."

Riiiiiiiiight. One of the most often broken vows ever, I would warrant!

Good luck with not falling off the wagon!

I will have a bunch of guns for sale soon so watch Swappin and Sellin.

I will try the mags I got and see how the run with 9mm ammo they are all brand new so if they can work these should. If there are problems I can get 9mm mags in Vegas all day long. Won't be diddling with 10 rounders either.

No this is my SHTF gun of choice so it will get broke in and I will shoot the hell out of it. I got a cheap fabric holster with a thumb break at the gun show yesterday. It will allow me to carry and run with the gun with a light on it and a spare mag on the front and not have to worry about it falling out of the holster. $20 at the Gun Show.

Fergie: I've got that mould, but thanks anyway.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    "The whole reason I wanted a G23 is because it is one of the guns you can swap the barrel out for a 9mm barrel and it will run just fine. That way by simply carrying the extra barrel, you have the option of two different calibers, one being probably being the most common pistol ammo out there today."

You may change your mind when you start picking up unfired cartridges from the floor. I would urge you to get the correct magazines for the 9MM. You will soon find that the 40 mag does not work out well with the 9MM.
    True that. Buddy of mine shot a USPSA match 2weeks ago shooting 9 out of his 40 mags. Nothing but problems. Failure to feed at least once every mag n

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Chances are, from what I've read 9mm will work fine in a 40 mag. Absolutely. And I would run them if I had no other choice, and probably not really worry.

But I do have a choice and for carry it's a no-brainer for me anyway. Mags are one of the weakest points in a weapon and one of the most common sources of feeding problems. So why push your luck?

For range work, who cares?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)