RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Using aluminum plate under Lubricator

Boolit Buddy

Using aluminum plate under Lubricator

I have some 1/4" aluminum plate for making a home brew heater. By that I mean just putting an iron on it and adjusting the temp. Is 1/4" thick enough, or should I put two pieces of 1/4" together to make it 1/2". And, will putting the two pieces together work?

Boolit Buddy
    I built mine using 1/4" plate, a couple of 100W heaters and a thermostat. Sounds like you should be fine. Watch the iron, I don't know how tight the temp control is on them. If you really want to be fancy get a PID controller and put the thermocouple close to the sizing die.

Moderator Emeritus

1/4" Alum will work real well.

For my antique Ideal #1 lubesizer, that only has a clamp-on style mount, I only have enough room for 1/8" metal, I use a scrap piece of copper. that thin copper transfers heat just fine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I have a1/4" strip about a foot long. I set a old iron on it on the lowest setting and slide it closer or further to adjust works fine with TAC1 &TAC X

Boolit Buddy
    ok, I will try it as is 1/4" and set the iron low. I can always use another piece on top of the 1/4" to make 1/2" later on if I need to. I will be using Carnauba Red and it has been working fine just heating up the lubricator with a heat gun for a few seconds every now and then. I just want something that will maybe give me more of a constant controlled heat. Thanks guys!

I have three luber sizes mounted on Pat Marlins Rock Docker plates, two with heaters and one that I use an iron and it makes life. The plates are 1/4" aluminum. I set my cheap iron to its lowest setting.

Shafer,

Your home brew heater to control fermentation temp or to boil the malt and hops?

BB

Boolit Grand Master

If you take a look at the element in the iron to see how thick it is 3 layers may allow for the center one to be cut out and justy the element used.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have it mounted on a 1/4 plate aluminum. The brides iron sits in the plate. Seems to work.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

been using a piece of 1/4 inch plate and an old travel iron for more than 20 years and can see no reason to change now! Set the iron on the lowest setting it has, place it on the plate and adjust the temp upward until the lube flows like you want it to. Remember a little heat goes a long way and give the iron on the plate time to stabilize before you go higher

Boolit Master

My aluminum plate is 1/8"x6x12 and works like a champ with an iron from a resale store. $2 investment.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments. I went ahead and cut the 1/4" and bolted it under my lubricator to the bench. i put my main iron on the plate on the lowest setting and after 20 minutes, I went back into my gunroom and started cranking out bullets. It works great. Like the 3 bears, not too hot, not too cold, just right!! I bought a small travel iron off fleabay and when it comes in, the regular iron will get replaced. Don't know why i have it anyway, I cannot remember the last time i ironed anything.

Boolit Master

I've been using the iron on a piece of 1/8" aluminum for years, works great. I also clamp the iron in a drill vise upside down to melt my lube in an old sauce pan to pour into my Star sizer.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

There's a self contained 10 amp pid for about $27 on eBay. I've been thinking about adding one to my aluminum plate/iron setup or machining a thicker plate and using a cartridge heater.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I used a piece of 1/2x4x12 and drilled and tapped mounting holes. Also drilled a hole to match the one in my bench with a TNut from the bottom. To hold down my sizer,trimmer and priming tools just line up the hole and use a eye bolt with a washer. Each tool has it's own board or plate.