Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun bullet diameter

Boolit Mold

Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun bullet diameter

I will be picking up a new Marlin 1895G today. From what I have read on this forum and elsewhere Marlin 45-70's, in general, tend to like larger diameter cast bullets .460-.462.
    I know the first step is Slug the bore.
    My question to the experts here is; Is there a down side to using .461 or .462 cast bullets of the proper alloy even if the bore is in the .457 to .459 range?

In Remembrance

Mine does well with .460 dia.

I have a Lee 405-457-F that drops them at .459 that I shoot as dropped with good success and a Ranch Dog 425-460 that I size to .460 when installing the gas check that shoots great.
    Between mine, and friends Marlin 45-70's and 450 Marlins that I have slugged, they all came out at .457.

Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

Boolit Master
    Mine are.sized .4605 and shoot great in the Guide gun.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Quote Originally Posted by Keyston44 View Post
    I have a Lee 405-457-F that drops them at .459 that I shoot as dropped with good success and a Ranch Dog 425-460 that I size to .460 when installing the gas check that shoots great.
    Between mine, and friends Marlin 45-70's and 450 Marlins that I have slugged, they all came out at .457.

Key

This has been my experience with Marlins as well. A bullet sized to .458 will shoot just fine. No real advantage to a larger diameter.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies. I think I will order a Lee mold and see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    This has been my experience with Marlins as well. A bullet sized to .458 will shoot just fine. No real advantage to a larger diameter.
    Mine slugged at 456 which I was quite happy about as it allowed me to shoot a softer (smaller) boolit. A standard 458 sizer seems to work just fine with mine.