WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: A New Revolver In The House

A New Revolver In The House

I have always liked the simplicity and reliability of a good revolver. I often carry a small frame Smith or Colt for defense. I decided to move up to a Smith K frame Snub. Yes, there is some extra weight and bulk, but it is still a compact package. I need some weight to be able to shoot any pistol well beyond belly gun range. Carry guns, like most of life, is a bundle of compromises.

In 1965 I bought a Smith Model 10 2", but it went down river after a time. In 1994, I bought another and while it stayed longer, it eventually moved on. I decided to try another and purchased a 1978 vintage, Smith Model 64. When it came I replaced the factory wood panels some vintage Westinghouse Micarta grips I had around the house. A Tyler T-Grip was also installed.

My initial firing reminded me again, that snubs require more concentration and practice that longer barrel revolvers. But once I settled down and payed attention to the basic I was able to do good work with it. I think this one is a keeper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1359.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I like it!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Sweet.

Boolit Master

Oh yes, I do like. Also quite interesting set of grips
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Perma-Banned

Nice!

Like you, I prefer the K frame...I have a model 19 snub that is a great shooting gun.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    Oh yes, I do like. Also quite interesting set of grips
    Micarta was developed by Westinghouse 100 years ago as an electric insulator. The grips in the pic are original Westinghouse linen Micarta. It darkens with age like ivory. This stuff was popular for grips 25 years ago. Micarta is still made, but with paper, carbon fibers and other stuff and while tough as nails don't have the same look.

This stuff is very hard and impervious to sweat, water and most solvents. I have had these grips for many years and have no recollection of where I got them.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I do enjoy your revolver pics Char-Gar.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Micarta was developed by Westinghouse 100 years ago as an electric insulator. The grips in the pic are original Westinghouse linen Micarta. It darkens with age like ivory. This stuff was popular for grips 25 years ago. Micarta is still made, but with paper, carbon fibers and other stuff and while tough as nails don't have the same look.

This stuff is very hard and impervious to sweat, water and most solvents. I have had these grips for many years and have no recollection of where I got them.
    Interesting that you explained the Westinghouse micarta to the younger set...as I had seen these knife blanks on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=29171890...pp=true&chn=ps

Boolit Master

Very nice.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Can you give me a general review of your opinion on the Tyler T grip? Bit of a revolver junkie as well and it has been on my radar for awhile. Just curious thanks! Sweet looking snubbie.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Can you give me a general review of your opinion on the Tyler T grip? Bit of a revolver junkie as well and it has been on my radar for awhile. Just curious thanks! Sweet looking snubbie.
    Grips adapters of one sort or another have been placed on revolvers since the 1930s. Smith and Wesson even provided them for their original 357 Magnum. General Pattons revolver came with one of these. In my memory they have been made by Mershon, Pachmayr and Tyler. Back in the days the majority of police carrying 38 Special service revolvers (Smith and Wesson and Colt) had one of these installed.

They fill in the space under the frame, lowering the hand, providing a straight back pull on the trigger and giving a larger grip surface. I have found them to give me better control than the factory stocks.

Of course today we have all sorts of after market stocks of all kinds of material but the old Tyler T-Grip is still made and still very useful. I have been using the Tyler or the Pachmayr since 1962.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colt 1917.jpg small (640x317).jpg   Chief Special small.jpg   013.jpg  
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 04-28-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Boolit Master

Beautiful!

Saving my box tops and bottle caps for a k-framed snubbie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Moderator Emeritus

Neato! Those old K-frame 2" guns are seldom written about, but you get 6 shots and yours is +P rated, too. And that stuff matters too often to not appreciate the plusses they offer. I have an old Tyler T-grip on my Pre-74 Colt DS. Love the way they lower the middle finger on the grips, so the trigger finger can pull more "straight back" than without one in place. I don't shoot them well without some sort of filler behind the trigger guard. Love the look of those old, yellowed grips on that SS gun, too! Good SD guns don't HAVE to be ugly, and yours is attractive, and even a bit elegantly appointed. I like that in a gun!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Grips adapters of one sort or another have been placed on revolvers since the 1930s. Smith and Wesson even provided them for their original 357 Magnum. General Pattons revolver came with one of these. In my memory they have been made by Mershon, Pachmayr and Tyler. Back in the days the majority of police carrying 38 Special service revolvers (Smith and Wesson and Colt) had one of these installed.

They fill in the space under the frame, lowering the hand, providing a straight back pull on the trigger and giving a larger grip surface. I have found them to give me better control than the factory stocks.

Of course today we have all sorts of after market stocks of all kinds of material but the old Tyler T-Grip is still made and still very useful. I have been using the Tyler or the Pachmayr since 1962.
    I see what you mean by the grips darkening up in photo #3 in what looks like a model 10. I really like the looks of that one. As I say about most revolvers, I'd like to shoot that one. Thank you sharing it seems I've learned something new today.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Beautiful! Nothing like a good Smith K frame regardless of the barrel length! Those grips look great!

Boolit Master

There's just something about the snubbies.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned

Snub nosed K-frames, grips adaptors and such....

Char-Gar, that's a nice stainless, snubnosed K-frame !

I'm a bit partial to the 38 Special K-frame snubnose revolvers and keep a couple on hand:
    Attachment 194255The Model 12 on the bottom wears a beautiful set of Craig Spegel Boot Grips. The Model 64 on top is a bit more proletariat class with its Eagle Secret Service Grips. They both have their place but I'm a bit partial to the model 64.
    Yes, both have bobbed hammers and you've expressed your dislike for such things but you also suggested that I would still be welcome at your barbeque - in spite of my transgressions. Thank-you.

Attachment 194257And speaking of Tyler "T" grip adaptors; here are a couple of those great devices. The revolver on top is a Model 10 and the one on the bottom is a Ruger Speed-Six. Both are wearing "T" grips and both are fantastic revolvers. (Again, sorry about the DAO, bobbed hammer on the Speed-Six . You'll just have to forgive me, it's in my blood)
    The Tyler "T" grip and other similar grip adaptors , allow for a good shooting grip that's no larger than the factory stocks. They really are a good option.
    The "Boot Grips" essentially accomplish the same thing but at a slightly higher price. Both options improve the grip without enlarging the overall size of the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    I see what you mean by the grips darkening up in photo #3 in what looks like a model 10. I really like the looks of that one. As I say about most revolvers, I'd like to shoot that one. Thank you sharing it seems I've learned something new today.
    The revolver in pic 3 is a N frame (Brazilian Model) in 45 ACP that was factory refinish about 20 years ago. The grips are Catalin an early plastic like Bakelite.

Boolit Buddy
    Westinghouse micarta is good stuff, and I have a good bit that I use in place of ivory for certain guns. Most of my guns get ivory fitted to them by me, but the ivory stash is getting low. Only 2 tusks left and every time I look at them I get sad knowing that they are "it" and I'm not getting anymore.

That is a very nice revolver and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.