Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Lee Boolit Dimension Drawings?

Boolit Buddy

Lee Boolit Dimension Drawings?

I have been searching the webernets looking for Lee drawings of their boolits. I use the 124-356-2R and have some issues shooting as cast (not a huge deal). I can get my gun throated to make up for it, but was wondering if a TC design would be any better. it comes down to where the ogive and shoulder intersect (correct terminology?).

shooting as cast
    I think thats one of Lees bullets that needs an extra short OAL to chamber.

They have one in 45 acp also.

Both more of a problem if you dont size to the correct diameter.

I don't kn ow if it is the correct terminology, but I understand your question.
    I have never seen drawings of Lee's cast boolit designs either and it would be good data to have available.
    I am wondering what your specific issues with shooting that boolit are?
    The tl356-124-2r shouldn't have a problem feeding but in the 9mm, it tends to tumble for a number of reasons. The drive bands don't seem to be sufficient to support the pressure in some pistols. In others it works fine.
    The TL version of the TC design has the same issue. The standard lube groove version of the TC design works well in almost every gun out there according to reports posted on this site and my own experience.
    The only thing you need to watch is how far out of the case the edge of the front drive band is seated. This will be specific for your pistol barrel. If you size the boolits, the position of the edge will be readily apparent. It shows up fairly well even if you tumble lube as cast boolits. You can determine a correct OAL for your barrel by experimentation and a "plunk test".

Banned

I surmise you shoot a nine in a pistol. Shape does not mean much there but diameter does. Then the edge of the boolit stopping chambering. Seat deeper and adjust powder. Drop test.

Banned

what I'm hearing is the front drive band is hitting the end of the chamber.
    the mold your using needs a shorter oal. 1.1 or thereabouts AIRC [I don't have the mold]
    it's not a problem to seat that deep you just need to lower your powder amount to compensate.

work on feeding and chambering first.
    then determine your starting load.
    it'll probably end up like 3grs of bulls-eye or red-dot type powders and maybe 3.4 of something like 231, or @ 3.5 of unique.

Avoid IMO.

Boolit Buddy

Lee Boolit Dimension Drawings?

357 would be great. I currently just PC and size to 356. So it's not a huge deal. But I slug at .3555. Would like to be able to go to 357. I can seat at 1.050 and plunk as cast. Which feels pretty short to me. It is not compressed with 3.7 of HP38 according to my math. I know I could also get the throats opened up.

I was looking to see if the TC design would taper before the hit mark you see above

Sized to .356 seat at 1.120 can go longer and still plunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

That boolit is ugly. What is that stripe?

Boolit Buddy
    it's where the boolit hits the stop where the casing should end... if that makes sense. (where the case should headspace?). This was a cull that I used for a dummy. I was loading a bunch just to check OAL necessity.

I believe that boolit pictured is the Lee 356-125-2r which is a completely different boolit than the 356-124-2r(the mold you mentioned in your original post).
    Since you PC your boolits, The coating is increasing the diameter of the nose section enough that it is oversize for your throat. That is why you are getting the rub mark just in front of the case.
    The only solution is to seat deeper.
    The tc design has a fairly sharp shoulder but to seat it right at the edge would need to seat fairly deep. The taper is enough to help with your problem. You would need to adjust your powder charge accordingly.

That scrape is from improper feed. A TC design may feed better.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Not proper drawings but measure from first groove to tip and OAL:

http://leeprecision.com/instructions.html

Scroll down to "Bullet Casting" and then it's the thierd PDF file called: Cast Bullets.pdf

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    That scrape is from improper feed. A TC design may feed better.
    That was a failed plunk test. I gave it a bit of a go to see if it was hanging up on the throat area or the lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plunk test is in a removed barrel. Maybe seated crooked? Roll a dummy rnd on a table and see if the nose wobbles. If really jamming in the throat the ring will be all the way around.
    Whatever!

Banned

it's the round shooting into the chamber and hitting the end where the case mouth goes.
    I'm thinking you can smack the back of the pistol and chamber the round.
    and it doesn't happen every time.
    throating probably wouldn't help that, it doesn't start until your past where I'm thinking the damage is happening.

I'd check if the powder coat helps stop the damage.
    then try a harder alloy.
    then change to a lighter recoil spring.