Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Corinthians 13

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Corinthians 13

13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
    2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
    3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
    4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
    5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
    6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
    7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
    8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
    9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
    10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
    11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
    12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
    No turning back , No turning back !

It can profit you to dwell on verse 12 ?

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Faith , hope , charity .

Boolit Master

Thanks for posting this wonderful chapter from Corinthians. Love is key. A church built on love for God and each other is a true New Testament church.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Super Moderator Emeritus
    ONE of the most important verses for all Christians to remember. We are called Christian because of the love of one-another seen by others in the first century. thanks Boaz for reminding everyone in this time filled with hate and distrust we are to be a light showing the better way.

Love is patient, love is kind, it isn’t jealous, it doesn’t brag, it isn’t arrogant,it isn’t rude, it doesn’t seek its own advantage, it isn’t irritable, it doesn’t keep a record of complaints,it isn’t happy with injustice, but it is happy with the truth.Love puts up with all things, trusts in all things, hopes for all things, endures all things.

Same verse, this is framed and hangs on my wall.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Boaz, and Jim nailed it. The "modern" wants to see and think about only that which he WANTS to consider. Ancient wisdom is humble and charitable enough to only want what is true, and is of God, and puts all else secondary to that. None of us, I believe, is capable of doing this always, but we surely can do better than we so often do in putting this into practice. We're born willful, and the Bible teaches us to be humble and charitable, if we'll just let it. The world around us, on the other hand, seems to recommend all the things that these verses warn us of. Is it any wonder the world is in the shape it's in today, with a philosophy, outlook and goal such as that?

Boolit Grand Master

Put it into the context of the whole book, and remember that Paul was essentially trained as a lawyer.

This is Paul's formal inditement of the Corinthian Church. In the first chapter he tells them that they are the most gifted Church he knows - they have all the gifts of the Spirit.

In the following chapters he tells them how they have abused and missused those gifts. If you take this passage statement by statement you can find, I think in the first five or six chapters, where he has shown that they have failed in each and every particular in this passage.

The world is no different now than it was then. This was the city that had the largest and world famous temple of Aphrodite - full of temple prostitutes. Sex was how you worshipped her. This Church was founded in the midst of temptation essentially unknown today, except perhaps in Europe.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

The initial quote is from the KJV. The greek word behind "charity" is agape, which is translated in later versions as "love". Nether charity nor love render fully the essence of the concept of agape. English of whatever period of time fails us here.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Perma-Banned

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
    Boaz, how do you apply this verse to your everyday life?

Boolit Master

In 1 John 4 vs 8 and again in 16, John makes a declarative statement: God IS love. Not that he has the characteristics of love but He IS love. In chapter 1 he states that God IS light. Read avout the properties of light and you will understand better how the darkness does not comprehend it. In fact is there such a thing as darkness? We see only a small portion of lightn not ultraviolet or infrared, not to mention gamma rays, etc. God IS light. In the Gospel of John there's another declarative statement: God IS Spirit. Such is the nature of God: Spirit, Light and Love. Read the entire Bible in that understanding, from creation (light was first, and the spirit hovered) to Revelations (there will be no light except from the Lamb) and it has been more apparent how it all works together. 1 Corinthians 13 read as God in place of love and the meaning is expanded exponentially (does that make sense CharGar) as Paul is actually describing the nature of God. There are but 3 things worthwhile then, our faith (which is a gift per Ephesians 2,) our hope in Christ, but the greatest is Love, which IS God. God Is God. sorry for the long winded exposition, just that this came to me over a period of a couple of years reading and I hope worth sharing.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Thank you Hogtamer , I enjoyed your post !

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Boaz, how do you apply this verse to your everyday life?
    This is a real easy question for me . It guides me to attain prospective , to improve myself , to use as a guide to being what GOD wants me to be like . In guides me to be and stay in GOD's light that Hogtamer talks about .

I will mention a few more sources of guidance I use .

The Pastoral Epistles
    These letters were written by Paul soon before he was martyred in Rome . They were sent to two young pastors Timothy and Titus . Paul sill wrote even in prison , those are called The Prison Epistles . Paul was guiding them in many aspects , he was still dong the work . He was leading them to building the church , responsibility's , organization , to be accountable and to have expectations . Although they are guidelines and teaching of pastoral responsibilities much of it applies to us ..the layman as well . I'll put them up in a link here ;

Timothy 1 ;

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...1&version=NKJV

Timothy 2 ;

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...2&version=NKJV

Titus ;

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...2&version=NKJV

James

Yea everyone knows I had to bring James in , lol . James is chock full of instruction ...it is instruction . That's why I love it , The first book deals with what to do when your in trial , I have been rereading in much of late . James cuts to the quick and lays in on the line ..no messing around . Easy to read and full of how to walk in GOD's light . I my daily walk I use in much . I recommend you reread many times .

James ;

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/James-Chapter-1/

There is much help and information in both old and new testaments , these are my go to reference daily . We all have books , verse that guides us ..it's all good if it helps you in your walk .
    I have talked too much . Read your bible , seek out those you trust for help and guidance . It's a hard go on your own . Thank you

Boolit Master

Thanks for the post. That is one of my favorites.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

A great passage that I need to be constantly reminded of and need to be focused on all the time, Thanks for posting Charlie.

Boolit Master
    Hope most that have posted are following this. What is the Light of God?

Thanks!! Teddy

Boolit Master

If God is Light as stated, Google up the properties of light and read away! From.the visible spectrum to cosmic particles, from Genesis to Revelations in Scripture. Too long for a single post.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill