WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Another "What is it???"

Boolit Grand Master

Another "What is it???"

I enjoy these "What is it" threads.
    I have an idea what it is, but thought I'd put it out there.
    Attachment 194193Attachment 194194Attachment 194195

I'll play...... Some kind of mildly-universal flaring die??
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Neck expander for a rifle case.

Boolit Master
    Flare inducing device.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Might be useful as the anvil for a primer swage, or on the primer set stage. Star presses use an anvil to set primers...

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not sure what it is.
    I tried to search the web on it and couldn't find anything.
    It looks like it's some kind of neck size expander.

Boolit Master
    "Universal" case mouth flaring tool for most rifle cartridges. NOT an expander, just case mouth flare tool? It has two ends so you have one for small calibers and one for larger calibers?

Banned
    Case mouth expander, double ended, two sizes. Neck size the case with say a Redding bushing die then run the case over this die to open the mouth to the exact amount needed. It's an extra step but a lot better than dragging the case mouth over the typical decapping stem expander.
    I have one in .221 that I used for 223 and 22-250 a few years ago.
    I never turned necks so this is the next best to getting uniform expansion without any drag on the case that can distort the mouth/shoulder.

For the average rife it may be unnecessary, but for more accurate rifles, and the quest for tiny, bug hole groups then it becomes essential.
    Ken

Boolit Master

Case neck expander. I have not seen one like this that is double ended, but use one that is a single expander to expand case necks prior to neck turning. The expander mandrels are 0.001" larger than the turning mandrel to allow for a light, but snug fit for beck turning. No flare, strictly a neck expander.

Boolit Grand Master
    No markings on it.
    Any idea who made it????

Perma-Banned
    primer pocket swager

Maybe a Bullsberry Double end die

Boolit Master
    The one I have came with a Sinclair International hand case turning tool. The insert has a slightly larger end that expands the case neck just enough for a slip fit over the same expander, turned in the other direction so the slightly smaller end can be used as a mandrel in the case turning tool. The only part of the set that says Sinclair International is the instruction sheet.

Boolit Buddy
    Sinclair mandrel for neck turning. Expand necks with it then put the spud in the turning tool. Mine came with 7mm on one end and 30 cal on the other.

Boolit Grand Master
    I looked on the Sinclair web site and didn't find anything like it.

Boolit Master
    It's in the 9th Edition of Sinclair's Precision Reloading and Shooting Handbook. An indispensable reference for those for whom the Quest for Ultimate Accuracy has become an OCD. Page 22, IIRC.

Boolit Grand Master

That die uses the spud from your neck turner to expand necks for a perfect fit when turning necks when making fitted cartridge cases. WHen Neck turning using the same spud makes for around a .0005 interference fit on the spud a little lube and necks come out concentric with .0001 - .0002 wall thickness variance

Boolit Grand Master

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...-neck-tension/

Expander Mandrels and Neck Tension

Lapua brass is so good that you’ll be tempted to just load and shoot, if you have a “no-turn” chamber. However, some minimal case prep will ensure more uniform neck tension. This will produce better accuracy, more consistent bullet seating, and lower Extreme Spread and Standard Deviation (ES/SD). Lapua brass, particularly 6BR, 6.5×47, .243 Win and .308 Win comes from the factory with tighter-than-optimal necks. Before you seat bullets, at a minimum, you should inside chamfer the case mouths, after running an expander mandrel down the necks. The expander mandrels from both Sinclair Int’l and K&M will both leave the necks with enough neck tension (more than .001″) so you can then seat bullets without another operation. Put a bit of lube on the mandrel before running it down the necks — but remove any lube that gets inside the necks before seating bullets.

Both Sinclair and K&M Tools make a die body specifically to hold expander mandrels. The Sinclair version, item 05-3000, is shown above. This $24.95 unit fits caliber-specific expander mandrels ($8.95) which measure approximately .001″ less than bullet diameter for each caliber. This is an updated “Gen II” design that completely captures the mandrel within the die so the mandrel cannot pull out. It also has an O-ring in the die cap that allows the mandrel to self-center within the case neck.

Support Your Site
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://ads.demigodllc.com/as6mmbr/js.php?z=default&f=468x60"></script><noscript><a target="_blank" href="http://ads.demigodllc.com/as6mmbr/nlink.php?z=default&f=468x60">& lt;img width=468 height=60 src="http://ads.demigodllc.com/as6mmbr/nsrvad.php?z=default&f=468x60">&amp ;lt;/a></noscript>

Once you run the Sinclair expander mandrel down the necks of Lapua brass, after you account for brass spring-back, you’ll have about .002″ neck tension. This will make the process of seating bullets go much more smoothly, and you will also iron out any dents in the case mouths. Once the case mouths are all expanded, and uniformly round, then do your inside neck chamfering/deburring. The same expander mandrels can be used to “neck-up” smaller diameter brass, or prepare brass for neck-turning.
    Forum member Mike Crawford adds: “These expanders can also reduce runout from offset seating. Prior to bullet seating, expand the sized necks to force thickness variance outward. With the Sinclair system, the necks will springback fine, and will not be pulled out of center. This leaves plenty of tension, and bullets seated more centered. I do this, even with turned necks, to get improved seating.”
    Mandrels vs. Expander Balls on Decapping Rods
    If you haven’t acquired an appropriate expander mandrel for your brass, but you DO have a full-length sizing die with an expander ball, this will also function to “iron out” the necks and reduce tension. However, using a die with an expander ball will work the necks more — since you first size them down, then the ball expands them up again. Typically (but not always), run-out is worse when using an expander ball vs. an expander mandrel.

if you want to price one http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod38807.aspx

Boolit Buddy
    An older Sinclair expander die setup with a older style double ended expander mandrel.

The knurled end of the die is the top, the other end is the expander/business end that the appropriate brass is raised into to expand the case neck.

You can't see it from the photos but there is a set screw that locks the expander mandrel in place, probably under the die lock ring.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mystery solved.
    Didn't see the screw under the lock ring.
    One side is .240, other is .224.
    Attachment 194350

Quote Originally Posted by jsn View Post
    An older Sinclair expander die setup with a older style double ended expander mandrel.

The knurled end of the die is the top, the other end is the expander/business end that the appropriate brass is raised into to expand the case neck.

You can't see it from the photos but there is a set screw that locks the expander mandrel in place, probably under the die lock ring.