RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 788

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a .308 Win and 6mm Rem the 788 bolt guns. Both from 1974 and will never part with either. Bought both brand new have killed a ton of deer with the .308. The 6mm has served me well for varmints, one deer and money from running deer shoots and bench rest 200 yard shoots at the clubs I belong to. Bought them both when I got out of the Navy in 1973. I'm 65 now and just found out about three years ago that my 6mm puts all the bullet weights I shoot into the same group at 100 yards. I shoot 75 grain HDY HP, 80 grain Speers (a deer bullet), 100 grain Hornady's and 105 grain Speers. The 80 grain Speer gets shot the most and now I believe Speer does not catalogue it or the 105 grain Spitzer. Oh well, I believe I have enough of both stockpiled to keep me shooting my 6mm until God calls me home. My .308 Win 788 is one of my most accurate cast bullet shooters I own. It prefers the Lyman 311041, 178 grain boolit over all others.

358 Win

Boolit Buddy
    My first centefire rifle was a 788 in .222. Bought it for a coyote rifle. Still have it and will never sell it. Easily shoots 1" groups from a sitting position and I am far from the best shot in the world. Used to be cheap and thats one reason I bought it. No longer cheap but still great guns.

Boolit Master
    Those were cool rifles, I think the early ones came with walnut stocks. A friend of my fathers bought his son one, and I want to say it was a lefty 243. He killed a nice buck with it the first year out, and his dad sold his old rifle and got himself one as well. I would love to have one in 243, and I've watched a few on GB, but they always seem to go high!

Boolit Mold
    I owned a 788 in 243 for a few years. Mine was accurate, but no more so that any other decent deer rifle in my experience. The main complaints about them are the trigger is awful .Today, with options like the american rifle, axis, and compass, they are outclassed.

Got a 223 788 as a coyote gun when fur prices were high. Found out it can shoot, about a MOA and I'm not that good a shot. Deadly on sod puppies out to 400 yards. it shot so good had a chance to get one in 306. Shot very good, didn't extract it shells all the time, it was also a carbine and a real erespilliting loudenbooner. Sold it off for a Ruger 22-250. Found another 788 in 243 at a gun show, got it. My boy says he's seen me shoot a PD with it at 650 years. I think he's stretching the truth. It pry wasn't much more then 500, but it was a loooong ways out there. They were some of the best that Green came out with.
    Rob

A customer showed me his 1969 22-250 walnut stock 788 complete with all-steel 3x9 AO Weaver from the same era. Beautiful and the scope was clear as a bell. I'm a LITTLE jealous.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I'm a LITTLE jealous.
    Me too!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    They must be having a come back..... I just picked up a carbine length barrel 7mm-08 for $250. Got the rifle, two clips and a partial box of Hornady ammo. Mounted a Pentax 2x7 scope and can't wait to try it out.
    Nice deal my 788 7mm-08 is my first and best shooter I have....loves 139 hornady sp....you stole that one...

If anyone comes across a 788 22-250 serial # 6106093 I will buy it sight unseen.
    It was my first one. When I foolishly traded it off it was wearing a Bishop thumbhole stock and I had shortened the barrel to 20".
    Best, Thomas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12