Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DA revolver vs striker fired/DA auto

Boolit Master

Glad you know your limitations carry what you feel comfortable with seeing ego is a problem for you.

Only PO I know that shot himself in the leg was in the 80's and that was a SP in MA with a S&W .357 3 inch. Even had a holster when it was done.

Boolit Master
    That's like saying a DA revolver is dangerous cause you can fire it without disabling a safety.

Safeties are meant to make the gun not fire UNTIL you pull the trigger.

So, to me, a safety in the trigger serves the purpose.

Boolit Master

I like to pocket a j frame 342 and a Taurus view in various pocket holsters. I feel an extra layer of safety with the pocket holster griping the cylinder.
    If the cylinder cannot turn on a hammerless the chances of an AD are reduced to nill.
    Last edited by Loudenboomer; 05-14-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Glad you know your limitations carry what you feel comfortable with seeing ego is a problem for you.

Only PO I know that shot himself in the leg was in the 80's and that was a SP in MA with a S&W .357 3 inch. Even had a holster when it was done.
    You must live in a vacuum, numerous LEO's have shot themselves with their Glocks in the last few years. A DEA agent after declaring he was the only expert in the room. A police chief twice shot himself with his Glock. Another chief killed his wife with a ND with his Glock. The officer with the viral video that had a ND in an elevator with a Glock. The incidents are endless, it is not the Glocks fault, just that some people are not competent to carry a Glock. But when it boils down there are still more incidents with Glocks.

Walkingwolf
    ...it is not the Glocks fault, just that some people are not competent to carry a Glock.
    Exactly! It has very little to do with Glock's and mostly to do with "LEO's" - the most undertrained group of citizens in this country are sadly, law enforcement - period. Like it or not, 90% of cops are a danger to themselves and society regardless of the firearm they carry because they are either; A) too lazy or B) too ignorant (ill-trained) of what it takes to be a gun slinger.
    Now with that said, I agree, it is probably easier to have an ND with a Glock then a... pick your poison but... in my opinion, cops are sadly, poor examples to use when suggesting one firearm is more dangerous then another.
    As you read this, keep in mind, that my opinion and $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
    Exactly! It has very little to do with Glock's and mostly to do with "LEO's" - the most undertrained group of citizens in this country are sadly, law enforcement - period. Like it or not, 90% of cops are a danger to themselves and society regardless of the firearm they carry because they are either; A) too lazy or B) too ignorant (ill-trained) of what it takes to be a gun slinger.
    Now with that said, I agree, it is probably easier to have an ND with a Glock then a... pick your poison but... in my opinion, cops are sadly, poor examples to use when suggesting one firearm is more dangerous then another.
    As you read this, keep in mind, that my opinion and $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
    Undertrained? Most states require at least 40 hours of training before a LEO can carry a gun on duty. Then some are required to train once a month, they are far better trained than the average citizen Glock owner, not including gun people like here. The point that has been pointed out is it is NOT the untrained with a Glock, it is the trained, and the more trained the more likely they will have a ND.

There are two factors with light switch guns without a safety, the more they are handled the more chance of a ND. And that training brings comfort, and comfort numbs that gut feeling that makes sane people fear getting shot, or screwing up. A good many Glock owners just are full of themselves, we see it on this very forum at times. It is like the Bren Ten and Sonny Crocket, or the model 29 and Inspector Callahan. They believe they are special because they own a Glock, and because of that they fondle their Glock in their fantasy. A gun is not a fantasy, it is a dangerous tool, but you will never convince Glock fanbois of that.

A safety is called a safety because if they function properly they will prevent a discharge during a brain fart, otherwise they never would have been needed. The Glocks safety is nothing more than an advertising gimmick that makes the problem worse with idiots, the ones full of themselves. The grandmother that buys a Glock, never gets any training, puts it in her draw is unlikely to have an ND, but she is not full of herself. It is not the training, it is not the Glock, it is people who play with Glocks like children.

If you can't keep your gun in a holster, in a safe, or even in a drawer, and must fondle it, you have no business with a Glock. ANY gun will not have a ND when it is not being handled, some are more prone to ND's by their very design, and that is a Glock.

Most LEO's Undertrained? Yes - in my opinion, with that said there are some who take it seriously.
    Very simple if you "Keep your booger picker off the bang switch till your ready to fire" it doesn't matter what gun you choose.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Incident after incident it is those who consider themselves trained who have ND's. DEA is extremely well trained, yet several have had ND's one became viral youtube fodder. The problem with the keeping the booger hook off the trigger mentality is flawed. The human body, and nervous system has certain responses that are unavoidable, add to that human error, and a gun with literally NO thought in design to human error, and you have ND's. More ND's than any other weapon.

Get scared, highly stressed, and the hands form fists, not extend fingers. Fall, and the hands clench automatic. Shock, by static, or by sound will cause muscle reflex, and clenching. Glock perfection means the person holding the Glock must be perfect. Only gods are perfect, the rest of us are prone to human error. I use that to my advantage, instead of thinking I am perfect, I know I could screw up so I take every precaution to avoid it. Most people who get trained do not do that, they think they are trained(perfect). Hence the problem with the Glock design, the attitude of many Glock owners otherwise known as GFBS(Glock Fan Boy Syndrome).

Boolit Master
    neither one is better then the other. if you are boob or reckless then you run a good chance of shooting yourself or some one else.

Boolit Master
    ^^^^this

If all those LEO's had been carrying a 1911, revolver or any other gun 99% of them would still have had an AD. There are a lot of people out there who just have to show off their Glock, so, you get AD's.

A brother-in-law had an AD with his Glock. It would have happened if he had any other type of gun, he just happens to like Glocks. And, yes, he was clearing it and got the sequence wrong. Pull mag, pull slide, check chamber, pull trigger. Not pull mag then pull trigger. Well, OK, it might not have happened with a revolver, but, I would not bet on that either

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    ^^^^this

If all those LEO's had been carrying a 1911, revolver or any other gun 99% of them would still have had an AD. There are a lot of people out there who just have to show off their Glock, so, you get AD's.

A brother-in-law had an AD with his Glock. It would have happened if he had any other type of gun, he just happens to like Glocks. And, yes, he was clearing it and got the sequence wrong. Pull mag, pull slide, check chamber, pull trigger. Not pull mag then pull trigger. Well, OK, it might not have happened with a revolver, but, I would not bet on that either
    Not all guns require pulling the trigger to strip them. This is the dumbest design ingredient that without a doubt has led to some ND's that would not have happened with other guns. Also the many ND's that took place because a piece of string got caught in the trigger guard can't happen when there is a functional safety that is on.

How many of you would carry a 1911 condition 0? If you answer no, then there is your answer to the lunacy of Glock's design. Glocks must stay holstered, they must be cleared over a clearing barrel, no gun should be waved around like a toy, but especially a Glock! The flipper is no safety, it is a marketing gadget, Glocks have no safety to prevent a human error, which is why safeties were put there in the first place.

Colt put the safety on the 1911 for one reason, because the US Calvary made it a sticking point. Why? Because troopers on horseback were likely while riding to grasp the gun tightly, resulting in friendly fire. The Colt SAA had no safety, it was not needed, if a trooper grasped the revolver tightly it would not go off unless the hammer was cocked. The 1910 which is exactly the same as the 1911 in design had NO thumb safety, it was rejected. Glock was again rejected, and they are crying like little girls, all because they would not listen to their customer, the US Army. Even though I own two Glocks it is the most over hyped handgun that does not even come close to perfection. Certainly there is no perfect gun carrier, if one claims to be they are the most dangerous person with a gun outside a criminal. People make mistakes, deny that, and you are likely to become the very person you point fingers at.

This IS a arrogant Glock carrier, one that most likely made the same remarks that are made here. Are you professional enough? Or are you(general you) full of yourself like this agent?

If you are truly serious about not having an ND, buy a training gun. Otherwise if you fondle your gun you are an accident waiting to happen. I handle guns everyday, but not firearms, I carry firearms. The guns I handle are training guns. By the grace of God, and my fear of having an ND I have not had one. It is clear some do not fear having an ND, and they pronounce how perfect they are, they are the ones I fear the most of having one. The record is pretty clear most ND's that are reported are from so called gun experts, mostly Glock owners. Glock perfection is a misleading advertising claim.

Banned

There is far more danger in re-holstering/re-pocketing a handgun. Don't just stuff it back in, in condition white. The video linked above shows this in spades

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    There is far more danger in re-holstering/re-pocketing a handgun. Don't just stuff it back in, in condition white. The video linked above shows this in spades
    There was no need for him to take it out in the first place, he could have used a prop gun instead. He should have used a prop gun. I am amazed at the firearms instructors who use real REAL guns for demonstration, they occasionally shoot a student. IIRC the FBI academy uses props for training not on the firing line. Personally I would have had a poster of a firearm for the purposes of making the point he was trying to make.

It is kinda stupid to try to make a point to children to not touch firearms, while touching a real firearm. Irony!

Boolit Master
    My little S&W 442 rides in my right front pants pocket every single day, (its the only thing in that pocket too) it goes everywhere with me. It carries do well it becomes oblivious to me that I even have it. That ladies and gents, is comfortable carry! It resides in a pocket holster, specifically a Sticky Holster. I really like it, its affordable, it keeps the gun in place, protects it well, positions it well, is comfortable and it has never come out on practice drawing drills. It works as advertised. I wouldn't hesitate a second to recommend one to anyone who wants to pocket carry.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12