Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Latest Wheel Deal

Latest Wheel Deal

I just did some trading, I had a gun that I didn't want and have been trying to sell or
    trade it just to break even on it. A guy offered me a S&W m19-3, 4" in near mint
    shape. I don't like 4" barrels but I took it anyway to break even. I'm going to shoot
    it just to see what it will do. Will probably end up looking for a barrel stretcher.Attachment 195515

The 4" K frame revolvers are great performers and very accurate. I have a model 15 in 38 Special that will shoot with my 6" Target Masterpiece no problem.
    Try it out. I think you will like it a lot.

Boolit Master

Very nice. My "go to" is a close relative to that one. I love the 4" k frames. I hope you enjoy your new wheel.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

S&W Model 19

Yep, 4" K Frames are about as good as it gets for a belt gun and for all around shooting from varmints to even larger game. You did well to get that Model 19.

I pretty much wore out my original Model 19 4" as an LEO in training, matches and plinking. Here's my second one with a typical 25 yard target.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S&W Mod 19 800-90%.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 05-14-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I have several S&W revolvers. My only complaint on any of them is the front sights. I hate the
    Red Ramps and plain ramps on 4" guns. I like 6" guns with Patridge Blade front. Both ramps
    give a hard to define top will a little wear on them. Yes, I do the magic marker all the time.
    The 6" guns whether K or N seem to balance better for me. Besides that we have a 5" minimum
    to be legal for hunting in Ohio. In the M19s, the -3 is the newest model I would put aside as
    a keeper. The newer models started down hill after that.Attachment 195524

That is a nice collection of revolver you have there.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Heed what tazman says . . . I wouldn't kick any 4" K frame out of bed for eating crackers . . .

My Combat Masterpiece (4") is a great shooter but then all of my five Smiths are and the range in barrel lengths of from 1 7/8" up through 6".

That's a great looking 19 . . . I'd hang on to it.

Perma-Banned
    Nice looking revolver!

Moderator Emeritus

I sold my old M-19 with pinned & recesses and 3T's to a local EMT. I've been trying to trade him out of it or buy it for nearly 20 years now, and the rascal won't hear of it, and just laughs, when I make an offer!!!! Any gun nut that doesn't have a collection of such stories isn't really a bona fide "gun nut!"

And FWIW, I traded it off for a 6" L-frame, and the new L-frame would NOT shoot NEARLY as well as the old 4" M-19! I was shooting PPC at the time, and realized I'd made a mistake the first time I shot the new L-frame. But I've been wearing down the EMT for about 20 years, and .... maybe tomorrow??? One can only hope ..... even if it IS pretty vain?

I've had many 4" 19s and the snubbies, always off them. The only 4" S&Ws in my keeper pile are
    a couple m34s. I have some 4" Ns, NIB, wouldn't shoot them, trade bait pile.I guess it's what you
    want it for. LEOs, self defense , or one of the combat games it might be perfect. For me to keep
    a S&W it has to be blue, 3Ts and P&Rs. I do have several prewar Target models that make the
    grade to keeper.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a 15-3 a few weeks ago. Only my second Smith ever and my first K frame. I knew this pistol shot well before I bought it, when my buddy offered me a deal on it (he had come in to it on the cheap) I went ahead and grabbed it.
    I like the little pistol, but I REALLY want a 19!

I have 9, m19s- 7 are 6". About 99% of the shooting I do with them is med vel target loads with
    cast bullets. I never fire hot loads in any of my S&Ws, even the 44mgs. I have some old Ruger
    SAs that I use for deer hunting with full house loads. If you are looking for a S&W to use 357
    look at a M28 or M27 on N frame. The 28s can be had for about the same money as 19s. For
    some reason 4" S&Ws are more desirable and bring a little more. The only M15 I have is NIB,
    but I have 3 m14 , 6" K38s that I use strictly for WCs and Targets. They are hard to beat.

Mrs. Thumbcocker's personal favorite handgun is her pinned and recessed 4" 19. It is a thing of beauty and wonder.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.