Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DA revolver vs striker fired/DA auto

DA revolver vs striker fired/DA auto

Carry over from another thread.
    I'm hearing it's "safer" to pocket carry a DA revolver than say a Glock in another thread. I'm not going to say either way, I carried a Glock 19 for years, holstered or "Mexican carry" with no issues, no AD's.
    Years later with KS making carry legal, I decided it might be nice to have something small to throw in a pocket time to time. There are a few occasions I don't feel like/feel the need to carry my Delta Elite.
    I bought a Ruger LCR .357, just for pocket carry and didn't think a thing about it needing a holster. FF a year later and we have a series of AD's, all from un-holstered handguns of various types. Well Mrs sawinredneck watches a news article about how this could all be avoided by putting the guns in holsters. She drags me off to the gun shop and we get a pocket holster to make her happy! Funny thing is, I rather like carrying it better this way! I forget the make and name, but will gladly provide if needed.
    But what makes the striker fired that much more unsafe? To me at least, anything hits the trigger wrong it's a bad day no matter what you carry! I always carry my wallet and keys in my right pocket, unless there's a gun in there, then it's empty. One of the AD's here was a guy carrying in his sock, the gun went off as he adjusted it!
    Im not trying to advocate anything either way, my wife made my decision for me, and I like it better, but what makes you think or feel, that one type of action is safer than another?
    Please keep it civil, just a discussion, nothing more.
    Last edited by sawinredneck; 04-27-2017 at 06:40 PM.

I carry a Ruger LCP which is a DA in a pocket holster & have no fear of it going off. My other carry gun is a S&W MP C which is striker fired. I carry in in a slide or mexican & have no fear of it going off. I carried a DA revolver many years, a couple different ways & had no fear of it going off. There's a lot of "what ifs" out there but I see them all safe if properly carried & handled.

Boolit Master

d ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Banned
    Pocket holsters do a few things:
    They protect and shield the trigger
    They help to keep the gun positioned correctly in the pocket
    They break up the outline of the gun

All of those things are good things.

As for accidental discharges with a DA revolver vs. a striker fired auto - there's a little more in play there. For starters, a DA revolver (or a DAO revolver) is a bit closer to a DAO semi-auto pistol than it is to a striker fired pistol. A DA revolver or a DAO pistol requires a fairly long and heavy trigger pull to fire the weapon. A striker fired pistol, such as a Glock, has a partially pre-loaded striker and requires a shorter/lighter trigger pull to fire the weapon. The weight and distance are more than a SA pistol but not as much as a DA pistol or revolver.
    Both systems are COMPLETELY safe but they are not the same. I have no problems with the Glock system but I would be reluctant to carry one without a holster that covered the trigger (Mexican Carry). The amount of pressure on the trigger and the distance the trigger must move to fire that type of weapon is considerably different than the force and distance of travel needed to fire a DA revolver or DAO pistol with a hammer.

I've carried a DAO snubnose in a pocket holster for over 20 years. I'm totally comfortable with that mode of carry but I use a pocket holster for the reasons listed at the top of this post.

It's important to remember that the force on the trigger may not come from something like your finger or car keys in the same pocket. Anything that moves that trigger far enough could result in the gun discharging. One of the likely scenarios is something outside the pocket moving the trigger such as when grappling with an opponent (not all encounters require deadly force).

There is no downside to using a good pocket holster.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-27-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    They help to keep the gun positioned correctly in the pocket.
    This cannot be overstated.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I always use a holster to carry, don't know why anyone would not.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I holster carry, but the holster is minimal. Also, my kind of pistol is probably not your "cup of tea". As far as the safety difference between a small revolver and a small semi-auto carried in a pocket, there probably isn't much practical difference. What difference there is probably lies in the cartridge the gun uses and the type of ammunition carried.

Boolit Mold
    The trigger pull of a revolver is much heavier and longer than a striker fired pistol. That may be the added safety of an XDM/XD as there are two requirements, pulling the trigger and the grip safety has to be depressed.

I have pocket carried many pistols in a holster. It's all about protecting the trigger guard and breaking up the gun outline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    The trigger pull of a revolver is much heavier and longer than a striker fired pistol. That may be the added safety of an XDM/XD as there are two requirements, pulling the trigger and the grip safety has to be depressed.

I have pocket carried many pistols in a holster. It's all about protecting the trigger guard and breaking up the gun outline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Ok, but how much force is needed between the two in a pocket? Have you stuck both in a pocket to measure force to fire while unloaded?
    I fought for years against "cocked and locked". I swore the 1911 was the most overrated *** there was to buy! I built a 1911 45acp that I sold to a friend, but I still have my DE and carry it often!

Great input buy everyone, seriously, thank you all!
    For a while, I "Mexican carried" a Colt Annaconda 6", I'm still bitter that gun was stolelen!
    This isn't about right or wrong,good gun or bad gun, just opinions.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    This cannot be overstated.
    This!!!!!

It's not fun trying to reach down and "feel" for your weapon in your pocket!i like the Desantis Super Fly or Remora for pocket holsters. I like the Clip too. Used one for my Kel Tec and LCP 380s. But those are DAO pistols. Wouldn't do that with a SA ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

The safety is hopefully between your ears, not between your hands.

"Mexican carry" is a fair expedient, but as a daily approach would seem to indicate a deficiency in the former. Holsters were designed to carry guns; prison wisdom to the contrary, your butt crack wasn't.

That said, a lot of the essentially pre-WWII firearm systems we still rely on came from a time of simpler logistics - no internet, no "tactical" sporting goods stores, no relaxed CCW laws driving the market. There weren't necessarily many readily available holsters for a lot of concealable guns and pockets tended to be bigger, and pretty much everybody had and wore belts. It's also worth noting that the concept of "Master Grip" with your trigger finger outside the trigger guard and along the side of the gun until ready to shoot is a relatively new development. Most folks walked around with their fingers on the trigger. All of this was typically factored in, and the autos had safeties, and the revolvers had either DA triggers or half-cock notches to render them relatively impervious to keys, shirt-tails, etc...getting inside the trigger guard.

The first striker fired gun on the market was intended as a full size, military sidearm. Pretty sure that Gaston Glock was thinking rigid flap holsters as he was working. Turned out to be a great system that a lot of people wanted in a smaller package. Great idea. . .until it ran into the old, entrenched modes of carry. It's not that the striker-fired, trigger-safety guns themselves are unsafe, but not factoring their mechanisms into how they're carried can, and often has, led to missing toes and buttocks, and no doubt, the occasional testicle.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I do not consider any one type to be less or more safe. The safeties put on most pistols are adequate for the job if the person does their job.

Some exceptions, IMHO. Example, 1903 Colt. Hammer gun with everything enclosed. Carry locked and cocked? I did not. I never liked the safety setup on that one so carried it without a round in chamber. But, I carry a 1911 cocked with safety on all the time. Mine happens to have the extra firing pin block so one step "up" from my old 1911 with just the sear blocked. Have never come close to an AD with either.

Springfield XD. Great safety system. But, I didn't trust myself with it. The trigger was so light I was afraid I'd touch it off when I really did not intend to. I probably should have gotten the version with an external safety. NOTE!!! This was MY problem, not the gun. Again, operator issues not gun issues.

Any striker fired autopistol whether carried on the belt or in the pocket should be in a holster that covers the trigger. Period!!!

Any handgun carried in the pocket should be in a holster that covers the trigger. Period

I am of the mind that a good DA revolver is safer than any autopistol. There is no slide to rack, no safety to engage or disengage and no magazine to worry about. In a DA sixgun you load the cylinder, point the gizmo and shoot.

For military and police use, the autopistol is the way to go. For civilian personal defense carry, not so much. This is not to say that autopistols don't have a place in civilian personal defense carry, but they are more complex and consequently can be mishandled with greater ease.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I'm confused but that doesn't take much - I've carried both snub nose 38/357s and striker fired autos in my pocket with and without a holster and never worried about "safety". What I did find was that a holster keeps the boolit/bullet launcher in the same position and readily accessible - very important consideration. As far as "safety" I still hear the eloquent words of an old friend that runs range classes... "Keep your booger picker off the bang switch till your ready to fire." I'm not convinced that the Solo in my front pocket today is any more or less safe then the J-Frame I once carried. The real question would seem to be; The boolit launcher is nothing more then a tool - how "safe" is the craftsman?
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
    I'm confused but that doesn't take much - I've carried both snub nose 38/357s and striker fired autos in my pocket with and without a holster and never worried about "safety". What I did find was that a holster keeps the boolit/bullet launcher in the same position and readily accessible - very important consideration. As far as "safety" I still hear the eloquent words of an old friend that runs range classes... "Keep your booger picker off the bang switch till your ready to fire." I'm not convinced that the Solo in my front pocket today is any more or less safe then the J-Frame I once carried. The real question would seem to be; The boolit launcher is nothing more then a tool - how "safe" is the craftsman?
    That is of course true. It is the operator that renders the device unsafe. However unsafe operators abound in this world. We have an entire multi-billion personal injury industry built around the negligence of human beings. A trip to any public shooting range will give you shivering fits, when you see how much of the public handles firearms. I do not assume that the population of this board is a notch above the public in safe gun handling.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    I like my gun holstered but for impromptu carry I'll stick a pistol in my back pocket. I packa Glock. My wife an XD. I would probably have got an XD but they don't make it in a 10 mm. I like the grip safety. Works great but doesn't have to be remembered. !
    You are being watched.

Boolit Master

A striker fired pistol has the firing pin all ready fully cocked, ready to go when the trigger is pulled after a small trigger block is moved to fire.

A double action pistol or revolver has a hammer that must be pulled all the way to cock a hammer and release the hammer.

Some semi-auto pistols also have a manual safety that must be manually moved to unsafe before the actual trigger pull and release of the hammer fore the gun to fire.

A partially cocked striker fired must have a safety manually compressed and the trigger manually puled to finish cocking the striker and releasing it to fire.

Some pistols need the manual safety to be released before the trigger can be pulled to release the hammer from a full cock to fire the pistol.

Ask yourself what is best for you and what one fires when I drop the gun, which one is safer.

The Glock haters will never pick the one that does not fire on dropping or when nothing mechanical fails [as all will] They will never be happy it seems without the take it off the manual safety [that has proven to fail in the past] [Glock's do not cock fully and fire unless YOU let the trigger get pulled all the way]

I carry a Glock, I also walk and chew gum, I keep my finger out of the trigger guard and keep anything from going into it. It does take attention and sense but after many years guarding the open carried when in uniform it comes as second nature.
    That comes from repeated action forming a habit that is always watched to keep safe.

HOWVER you must decide what your able to do.

Boolit Grand Master
    A striker fired pistol generally has a 5-7 lb trigger pull. A DA revolver has a trigger pull at least 3 lbs heavy, in many cases it is 4-5 lbs heavier. Further, the DA revolver pull is usually longer. No problem determining why one has more loud unwanted noises than the other.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I carry what I feel like carrying, others should too. As far as Glocks I own two, once owned three, they are the least carried guns in my safe. I do not like the grip, don't feel the need to have a truckload of cartridges, and certainly do not have the ego. If you want to carry a Glock carry one, if you don't there is no shame in what you carry. One thing I have noticed with Glocks it is always the experts that eventually have ND's. Sometimes cocky equals Glock leg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast