WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: 45 cal BP (Ballard ) mystery mold

Boolit Master

45 cal BP (Ballard ) mystery mold

Bought from a member on this site /only # is 813 . Is supposed to drop @.440 but is closer to 438-439 BHN 8 .As it had some surface rust /minor pitting I cleaned it up and now drops 442-443 which goes thru my 440 lyman sizer no problem . I like that it goes down to 300grain /up to 500 (most likely) havent got there yet , how ever I can"t find out who made it but it looks alot like my Lyman Mini molds . Does anyone have a guess ? Thanks /Ed
    Attachment 194137Attachment 194138Attachment 194139Attachment 194140Attachment 194141Attachment 194142

Boolit Buddy
    It looks a lot like something Tom Ballard might have made.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with this being a Tom Ballard mould. Measure the bullets at several spots the length of the bullets a lot of his bullets were tapered a couple thousandths getting bigger to the base.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I agree with this being a Tom Ballard mould. Measure the bullets at several spots the length of the bullets a lot of his bullets were tapered a couple thousandths getting bigger to the base.
    It does get fatter .443 at base to 436 @.500 from base .thanks for info .It seems to shoot well and variable length/weight will keep me busy !

Boolit Grand Master

They are a very good mould to work with. Ussually once the "length" was found the rifle wanted they were never changed again. 2 wraps of seth cole or other drafting paper gives good results. Play with the angled ends angles and keep the close, usually -.030 works well. This gap allows for the small radious of the wrap going over the first edge. wrap tight and leave a small BB sized open center in the base wrap.

Boolit Master
    They are a very good mould to work with. Ussually once the "length" was found the rifle wanted they were never changed again. 2 wraps of seth cole or other drafting paper gives good results. Play with the angled ends angles and keep the close, usually -.030 works well. This gap allows for the small radious of the wrap going over the first edge. wrap tight and leave a small BB sized open center in the base wrap.
    Thanks again for all this info /would not get anywhere else , I will be changing lengths as I am lucky enough to have several fast twist 45s /I just have to remember to write it all down and not loose the notes !

Boolit Grand Master

On my Brooks adjustable I don't de note the bullets by weight but by length In this way the settings are backed up in my load notes and also my sight settings books. I measure from top of blocks to center of base stem.

Boolit Master
    On my Brooks adjustable I don't de note the bullets by weight but by length In this way the settings are backed up in my load notes and also my sight settings books. I measure from top of blocks to center of base stem.
    Thanks the learning never stops ! Ed