Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: SKS gives a surprise in 2 ways

Boolit Master

SKS gives a surprise in 2 ways

I rebarreled a SKS last year and after initial shooting I put it away and stupidly and foolishly(kinda fun to kick my own ****) I trusted the new barrel monkey pee I applied to this virgin barrel innards.
    I got the gun out to work with and pulled a patch thru and Smoley Hokes the patch is solid brown with rust color. So I go to work and start the cleaning and as I pull the patch over vent hole I get my second surprise as I can feel it in the pull(very lightly). Is it normal to feel that little hole for the gas port. I had a tight wooden dowel in barrel when I drilled it. Then I worked the bore good with fine steel wool to eliminate any burrs. Drove a lead slug thru to see if it had any drag or scuff marks and it looked good. I am semi auto any thing illiterate, which means I don't know much of these pull trigger only guns. Is it normal to feel this hole (brass brush with cloth for cleaning patch) when it is pulled thru barrel?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Interesting situation. I have never actually re-barreled an SKS, but I have several in my collection and a number of them passed through my shop for various reasons. Yes, I have felt the presence of the gas port hole when running a tight cleaning patch through them. Most of them have chromed bores in which it is less noticeable. It will be interesting to see if your felt constriction at that location goes away with shooting it a bit and subsequent cleanings. Did you test fire it after the barrel job? Didn't use corrosive ammo, did you? Whatever the stuff was you put in the barrel before storing it let you down. Hope there was no visible damage to the bore after you cleaned it out.

Boolit Master
    I think the only SKS without a chrome line barrel is the Yugo.

Boolit Master
    I re-barreled a Chicom NAM bring back but used a old used one from fleebay. I don't think I ever felt the gas port but never really had to pay attention. Just remember a chrome lined barrel can still go bad. Mine had rust under the chrome from sitting for 25+ yrs after shooting corrosive ammo

Boolit Master
    My Yugo barrel had a huge honking gas port hole, big enough for a kitchen match stem or the shaft of a Q-tip to slide in easily. You could both see it and feel it when cleaning the bore. The port seemed angled so the patch slid by it smoothly when pushing from the breech but if drawing the patch back from the muzzle it would drag.

Boolit Master
    I shot a few 8mm maxi's sized to .3155 and rolled in Crest Toothpaste. Ad on tube said it removes stains and this is stains in my book, so lets try it!! A few more Rcbs 32\170 boolits sized down and lubed put a nice mirror finnish in barrel. And I do lightly feel the gas hole but thats ok. At first I thought I might have a real problem on hand. Thanks for bearing with me in my trials of casting!
    Look twice, shoot once.