MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Star Bullet Feeder - Opinions?

Boolit Man

Star Bullet Feeder - Opinions?

Hey Gang,
    I have a Star Sizer with air, heated base and roller handle.

I have a few questions:

1. What's the opinion of the bullet feeder?
    2. How much of a percentage increase do those of you with a bullet feeder get over hand feeding a Star sizer?
    3. If it is an advantage, what bullet tubes are you using to feed it? Lee? Some big-box store type tube arrangement?
    4. Any tips or tricks to make it run faster (other than automating it)?

Thanks for the help.

-Burwell

Boolit Grand Master

1. I like it a lot.

2. Never measured but it's a marked increase. The advantage is that there is no possible way to pinch your fingers. Needless to say it hurts quite a bit if you do.

3. Bought tubes from McMaster Carr and cut to length. They aren't necessary. You can always hand feed the small stock tubes that come w/ it.

4. Automate it. Anything else will be determined by how you run it. Preloading tubes will make for a very quick run. But the time loading the tubes still counts towards total time.

Banned

it is a lot faster.
    filling the tubes is the slow down, but it gives you a break from cranking the handle.

if I am working by myself I will only fill about 8-10 tubes then lube-size them then re-fill them.
    10 tubes is 5-600 boolits. [@50 per tube of big stuff in the 44-45 250gr range, and @ 60 for the 357 type size]
    it's also about a stick of lube.
    usually it is about 35-40 minutes per cycle, of filling, then sizing, replacing lube, and back to tube filling again.

if I have help i'll get out all 20 tubes.
    I still get a break cause the filler usually can't keep up if they are actually looking at the boolits and culling any bad ones.
    only my time is cut down to @ 20 minutes per lube re-fill cycles.

now if i got 2 filler helpers [and they are helpful] I will just turn on one of the other machines and give the second helper the other set of tubes or split one of the 20 and have them fill another boolit type/diameter and switch back and forth between the machines.

5-6 hours on a rainy Saturday will easily fill a couple of 5-7 gallon buckets with boolits.
    and is about all the time your gonna get donated by a couple of tube fillers that got better stuff to go do.

but if it's snowing really hard and about 10 below-0 you can occasionally get that other guy [your nephew] to come over and operate the other [3rd] machine.
    now you can just clean up everything you got cast last winter.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the feedback. I see a bullet feeder in my future. Can anyone point me to the tubes you fill with a link, picture or description/measurement?

I have six Star Lube-sizers. Three have the bullet feeders in .38/.357, .44 and .45. Three are without, and I don't have air on any of them.

Speed depends on the bullet being sized, and the time it takes to fill the tubes. I have enough tubes in .38/.357 to hold about 1,500 bullets, but it takes hours to fill them. I have enough tubes for .44 and .45 to hold about 1,000 bullets of each.

It depends on my mood as to which machines I use. If I don't feel like taking the time to fill the tubes, then I'll just use one of the machines without a feeder, but it again depends on the bullet being sized. I have some bullets that are like picking up marbles (180 gr. RNFP .45), and some that are small (77 gr. .32 RN), that are hard to pick up and align to drop in the sizing die.

I guess what I'm saying is I've found it's pretty much a wash as to time either way, once you get used to the machines and develop you're own style and method.

I have two other Star machines that are on long term loan to good friends that don't have bullet feeders, and they both prefer them that way. They tried loading tubes and didn't like it, so they choose to hand feed.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Here's a link to plastic tubing:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-p...ubing/=17dqjlm

If you shop around, you can get it cheaper at some other places. Most of my tubes are about 3' long, if that helps. Polycarbonate plastic has to be cut with a saw. If you try to use a PVC tubing cutter, you'll shatter the tube. Also, chamfering the tubes helps with loading them. You can either tape the closed ends, or buy the plastic tube caps that slip on. Either way works.

If you decide to go this route, don't pick up the loaded tubes by one end, or you'll break the tube. Always support it with both hands when loaded with bullets.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Man
    Thanks ReloaderFred. I love McMaster-Carr.

Is the tubing you use: https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-p...ubing/=17dr7v3

Boolit Master

Watching this thread, I have a full air Star but the bullet feeder is not currently attached, Most likely in the near future
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned

you can get away with plain old PVC if you cut slots in the side to act as windows.
    I also drilled cross holes on both ends of my tubes and use 1/16" cotter pins. [wrap with tape before cutting and drilling]
    I run the tube down to empty then run 5-6 more boolits then swap out the tube and pull the pin.

you can get the return springs at ACE Hardware, I keep 6-7 on hand at all times, you will wear them out.

Quote Originally Posted by bjordan View Post
    Thanks ReloaderFred. I love McMaster-Carr.

Is the tubing you use: https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-p...ubing/=17dr7v3
    I've got several different types of tubes. The majority are an opaque virgin PVC that .38 bullets came in years ago that are still good. You can see the bullets through the walls in good light, but they aren't clear. I've got about 100 of those tubes for .38/9mm bullets.

For .44 and .45 bullets, I've got both polycarbonate and PVC tubing. The polycarbonate tubes are clear, and the PVC are solid. You can also use PETG tubing, which is quite a bit cheaper than polycarbonate.

This link should take you to the PETG tubing: https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-p...ubing/=17ei43m

The sleeve for the bullet feeder is a "loose" 5/8" inside diameter, so 5/8" OD tubing will fit correctly. You can use 1/2" OD tubing, but either make a sleeve out of thin aluminum tubing for the inside of the sleeve, or wrap the tubing with electrical tape to make it 5/8" diameter where it fits in the sleeve.

For the .44/45 bullets, I use tubing that is 5/8" OD and 1/2" ID, which is a 1/16" wall. For .38/9mm bullets, you can use 5/8" OD and 3/8" ID, and not have to do the sleeve or tape.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Man
    Thanks Fred!!

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I've got several different types of tubes. The majority are an opaque virgin PVC that .38 bullets came in years ago that are still good. You can see the bullets through the walls in good light, but they aren't clear. I've got about 100 of those tubes for .38/9mm bullets.

For .44 and .45 bullets, I've got both polycarbonate and PVC tubing. The polycarbonate tubes are clear, and the PVC are solid. You can also use PETG tubing, which is quite a bit cheaper than polycarbonate.

This link should take you to the PETG tubing: https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-p...ubing/=17ei43m

The sleeve for the bullet feeder is a "loose" 5/8" inside diameter, so 5/8" OD tubing will fit correctly. You can use 1/2" OD tubing, but either make a sleeve out of thin aluminum tubing for the inside of the sleeve, or wrap the tubing with electrical tape to make it 5/8" diameter where it fits in the sleeve.

For the .44/45 bullets, I use tubing that is 5/8" OD and 1/2" ID, which is a 1/16" wall. For .38/9mm bullets, you can use 5/8" OD and 3/8" ID, and not have to do the sleeve or tape.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not have the link, but I saw a guy who built a small ramp out of PVC that would position the bullet into the sizer. There was no danger of getting fingers caught and it was as fast as a feeder....faster because there were no tubes to fill.
    Don Verna

I hate to be the oddball but I think the feeder has no place except for possibly a dedicated automated setup. I am a lot faster than filling tubes just feeding by hand. As for the pinch one time was enough to make sure the finger is clear! In fact I find the best automated setup my wife or son.
    Last edited by gtgeorge; 05-03-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Banned

the adaptor for the little metal tubes should work with the 3/8 inner diameter tubes, and a different tube and adaptor for the larger Id. tubes.
    they make a couple of sizes of those metal tubes and adaptors that go on them, as well as slides for the different diameter boolits.

I modified one of the slides for squat little 160-180gr 41-45 boolits.