Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading from the pouch/bag questions

Loading from the pouch/bag questions

I'm not new to muzzleloaders but loading from the bag the traditional way is very let's say awkward for me , I feel like I'm gonna drop the rifle or spill powder at any second . I'm gonna be going on my first woods walk shoot in a few weeks and would like to be able to load without being all thumbs . So how do you fellas do it ? Best way to hold the rifle ? What's the best way of uncorking the horn and filling the measure re plugging the horn without spilling powder everywhere ? Like I said I been trying different way but it's just not clicking for me . May have to get one of those push button pour valves seems like that would eliminate dealing with the horn plug .

Thanks , Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Paper cartridges. Problem solved.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Banned

off hand woods walk shooting out the the bag is no big deal if you first think about yer shooting process, then use the right gear, then "dry practice loading" in yer living room.

style: during addressing the lock and pan/nipple, hold the gun in the crook of yer gun forestock holding hand and always with the muzzle pointed downrange.

gear: maybe use a ball board, maybe use a powder horn with a powder pour valve.

Thank you for the video that's exactly what I was needing to see ! Your using a pour valve on your horn correct ? Gonna have to get me one that's where I was getting fouled up with the regular horn plug . And yes I am planning on using the ball board I just made .

thanks again , Tim

Banned

for a right handed person and gun there are lotsa variations for using a non-pour valve horn. try them all out before even going afield or to the range.

using a tethered horn spout means holding the horn in the right hand, pulling and letting go of the plug with the left hand, pour the powder into the measure that's held in the left hand, pour the measure into the barrel while still holding the horn in the right hand, drop the measure and free the left hand to grab the horn plug and stop up the horn.

the horn can be held with the right hand while the untethered horn plug is removed with the left hand and kept in the left hand, the left hand grabs and holds the powder measure, pour in the powder (you've still also got the horn plug in the left hand and the horn in the right hand), not spilling the powder measure, plug the horn and let it go, pour the powder measure contents down the tube and continue loading the patched ball.

the popular variation to the above is using yer teeth to pull and hold the plug, then bring the horn spout up to meet the plug in mouth and make the connection.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Just come out and shoot for a few days with me. Bring George Dickel Rye.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I use interchangeable chargers spouts cut to accommodate the powder measurement I'm wanting. Which are screwed into a spring loaded button Valve that is screwed into a threaded bushing which brass bushing is glued into the horns small end.
    I prefer Brass end pouring spouts i.e more durable than a turned wooden plug made from Muskrat swamp wood.

For such targeting walks you could either use speed-loaders of make a few powder carts for such activity's if it isn't against the shooting Rules.

Boolit Master

anybody ever have a horn/flask valve stick open and dump 2 or 3 or more times the amount of powder that you wanted?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    anybody ever have a horn/flask valve stick open and dump 2 or 3 or more times the amount of powder that you wanted?
    yup, cause i didn't take apart and clean out the pour valve and spring assembly. an easy quick job.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    If I'm ever out in your neck of the woods I surely will

Boolit Master
    I have one of the brass powder dispensers made by CVA with an exterior spring and it has never gotten stuck open. It came with a 25 grain nozzle and holds around 4 oz. I have two other powder dispensers with internal springs and they seem to stick a lot if not kept real clean. Loading is pretty easy, first I fill the nozzle by putting my thumb across it and point it down while opening the valve and shaking it. I close the valve, point the nozzle up and check to make sure it is full then dump the load down the barrel. For a 50 grain load I'll do this twice, if I need a different powder charge I'll use a measure with the flip away brass funnel. I also have a collection of different length of brass tubing that slips into the nozzle but keeping track of the different volumes is a bit of a PIA so I've stopped using them.
    For the ball I use a loading board loaded with dry patched RB and use Bore Butter on the patched side of all the balls in the loading board right before I get to the firing line. I use a ball starter and then the ram rod to seat the ball.
    I wipe the pan and frizzen off before I load my flintlock and use the pick just like RFD does right before priming at the firing line.
    I'm not saying this is the only way to load but it works for me and is a safe routine. I only keep the powder dispenser, loading board, pick, a clean rag and a small frizzen primer or cap dispenser in the bag. Every thing else is kept in the shooting box.
    Hope this helps, be safe and have fun.

Dumping the powder down the barrel directly from the horn is not safe and will get you a talk with the range officer on most ranges.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    "Dumping the powder down the barrel directly from the horn is not safe and will get you a talk with the range officer on most ranges."
    True, I always ask the RO before using the dispenser, I agree it is dangerous and I will stop doing it even if the practice is accepted at the range. Using a measure doesn't take that much more time and it's not like I'm trying to "rapid fire" a flinter. Thanks for the correction. Most powder horns do not have a spring loaded shutoff valve which makes them extremely dangerous unless a measure is used.

Banned

just for me, i avoid powder horn dispensers like the plague and always use a separate measure as a go-between. there are too many ill fated possible outcomes from raising a full powder horn over a barrel's muzzle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I just went to try some of this George Dickel rye and it is not even available in this state! I found some George Dickel #8 sour mash. Is it any good?

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I just went to try some of this George Dickel rye and it is not even available in this state! I found some George Dickel #8 sour mash. Is it any good?
    It's reserved for deserving customers. It is in high demand, short supply. Not even that spendy, around $22.50 here. I don't care for sour mash, so haven't tried that.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

You fellas like to sip the good top shelf stuff ! I normally just get the 12 dollar bottle of Evan Williams ! Lol if you like it sweet their honey version ain't bad

Boolit Grand Master

Once I tried Rye I find I drink the Rye and cook with the Bourbon. Ric, If I'm ever there I'll even bring an assortment!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

My antler handled ball starter has a short starter on one end and a powder measure drilled in the other. Using a ball block I can get 3 aimed shots per min. till the block runs dry.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Once I tried Rye I find I drink the Rye and cook with the Bourbon. Ric, If I'm ever there I'll even bring an assortment!
    Sounds good. Try the Dickel if you can find it. Vanilla and smokey oak finish. Cut well with water. I used to drink Old Overholt, still will, but prefer George.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast