Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 in 1 oil ?

I still have my Grandfather's last can of 3 In 1 with the screw on tip that looks like lead. He used it in the house for just about everything, including his guns. The ranch equipment and pump house got serious oil and grease, by the bucket full. I use Mobile 1 and compressor oil in my metal shop, in squirt cans, to keep things spinning and turning. I use G-96 on my guns when I put them up or go to the field. A couple of squirts down a shotgun barrel, let it set for two hours, a bore snake a couple of times and it takes plastic and lead right out.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

My dad used 3 in 1 oil also for his guns and anything else in the house.That is how i learn to use. but now for some of the guns of my i got different oil for them. But still keep a can of 3 in 1 around.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I use sewing machine oil it's lite never gums. Put a drop on then wipe the excess off leaves a lite film.
    Doesn't stain your cloths and doesn't smell.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

I use 3 in 1, or sewing machine oil, or remoil if I want something thinner. And I use hoppes 9 to clean generally.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Ed's Red for all of my firearms.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I use CRC 336 spray, Kroil, and Lubriplate.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I've used the latest and greatest but usually grab the 3 in 1. Whenever I return a gun I have cieaned or repaired it gets a wipedown with it on a cotton rag. Really shines up the wood.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    My first memories of 3in1 are from my Grandmothers treadle sewing machine. To this day, the smell of 3in1 sends me back to the late 40s-early-50s when I would help her sew strips of rags together to be either crocheted or taken to a place in Longmont to be woven into rugs. I still have a crocheted one she made that I use as a "place mat" on a walnut coffee table I had made for her in HS woodshop.

Speaking of 3in1 varnishing, somewhere in the records I got from the old gunsmith in Loveland MANY years ago is a "recipe" for a stock finish. It was primarily an oil finish for repair purposes but could be used to completely finish a stock. If I remember correctly, it was equal parts of 3in1 and ether, which acted as a dryer. It actually worked quite well as a touch up finish but took too long for a whole stock, a bit slower than boiled linseed oil even. It blended in very nicely with most any type of oil finish since, I suspect, the ether softened the base finish and sort of mixed it all together.

I remember making up a batch in the early 60s when a person could go to the local drug store and buy ether. I imagine now, one would have the SWAT folks on you if you went to try to buy ether.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

I have glass bottles marked 3-1 oil from the 1800's

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    If I remember correctly, it was equal parts of 3in1 and ether, which acted as a dryer. It actually worked quite well as a touch up finish but took too long for a whole stock, a bit slower than boiled linseed oil even. It blended in very nicely with most any type of oil finish since, I suspect, the ether softened the base finish and sort of mixed it all together.

I remember making up a batch in the early 60s when a person could go to the local drug store and buy ether. I imagine now, one would have the SWAT folks on you if you went to try to buy ether.
    Maybe it took so long because you would keep falling asleep.
    SORRY
    Chill Wills

Banned
    i remember a time when you had 3 in 1 and hoppe's nitro solvent. its all we had, we didn't know the things we know about copper.

when i first got my 30-40 krag, from grandpap, i though that he had used varnish instead of gun oil. the gun was put inside his closet about 25+/- years ago and it didn't see the light of day until it came to me.

i swear to God, that the bore hadn't been cleaned since 1903(year it was made). it was like shoot, clean (3 in 1 oil), shoot , clean, shoot, clean....for about 100 and some years. and boy was the 3 in 1 gummy and dried up. i've taken the bore to steel(5 or 6 days, 8+ hours a day), the bolt and the trigger was cleaned. i believe that it was rem oil to wipe down everything. i use rem oil only about once a year, i use ballistol every week or two, i shoot it alot.i have a redfield peep sight and i decided to take off my rear sight. i've tried pb blaster to take off the screws. but they stayed on. a squirt or two of kroil(took about 3 days) will take any screws off.

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post

Isn't automotive starter fluid ether?

I think just about every American household had a can of 3 in 1 oil in the utility drawer.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150408_111850.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	1957605w30
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2441-Ron-in-PA

Walmart was redtagging some Mobile 1 synthetic a few years ago. I picked up a couple quarts of 0W-20 for less than $5 a quart. It will last me the rest of my life. I does not dry out and it is thin enough to creep into every little spot.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    As a kid, I used 3-1 oil for bicycle chains. Used petroleum jelly for wheel bearings. Didn't have any grease, but mom had the petroleum jelly and it always seemed to work well. Seems like my Grandpa used 3-1 for his guns.

I use rem-oil mostly on my guns, never had any issues. Use it for cleaning and lubing. If real dirty, I use Hoppes#9, then lube with rem-oil. I do keep 3-1 around, and on occasion may use it for various projects.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master
    My grandad used 3n1 on his guns, but he was a big fan of wd40, and duck tape for everything else!

Boolit Master
    60 years ago my grandparents used 3 in 1 oil on everything in the house from fans to sewing machines and they all gummed up.
    Almost any normal gun oil is better.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I use a product called Turbine oil made by Norvey,Inc out of Santa Ana Ca.Have used it for many years,and seems to work very well.It has no detergents and is paraffin base.Have used it anywhere that 3in1 would be used,Heat resistant,so I use it on small portable heaters that I heat the bathroom in the winter before taking a bath.Sure works wonders.Got one of the little bathroom heaters that someone was throwing out because the fan kept getting stuck.Used this oil on it and it has been going well for about 6 years now.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I haven't used three in one for many years . CLP does get a lot of use around here , but now that I know Mobil 1 and ATF type F are good I may replace the CLP when gone .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Bub
    My dad used Outer's Gun Oil, Nitro Solvent, and Gun Slick grease on his gun.
    I use the same on mine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast