Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
PBcastcoRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 in 1 oil ?

Boolit Buddy

3 in 1 oil ?

What do you use to oil your bolt action rifles or shot gun actions?
    I seem to remember my Pap using 3 in 1 oil.

Banned
    3 in 1 oil was the fall back, generally when you didn't have a lot of money. I've seen guns that lasted a lifetime and then some, that were only cleaned with kerosene and oiled with 3 in 1. It was also readily available in every country store, hardware store, etc.
    ATF (automatic transmission fluid) was another standby for the financially challenged. ATF has some drawbacks such as odor and it will stain clothes but it sure is cheap.
    That being said, the options are a lot better these days.

You're going to get a HUGE list when it comes to oils & greases for firearms - EVERYONE has their pet firearm care product. The good news is most of them work well.

3 in 1 oil will gum up with age and probably isn't the best choice. Hoppes made a "gun oil" that was suspiciously similar to 3 in 1 oil that would also varnish with age. I've had people tell me that it was better than 3 in 1 oil but I've never been certain that it wasn't just 3 in 1 re-branded as Hoppes. My father cleaned his guns with Hoppes #9 and oiled them with Hoppes gun oil. I now have those guns and they're fine. My grandfather used 3 in 1 oil on small parts and just tiny dab of wheel bearing grease on big pivot points, like a hinge pin on a shotgun. Those guns outlived him and are still going.

The demand on gun lubricants is not very big and a lot of products will fill the role. A gun that is clean and oiled after use will probably be just fine and will out last a gun that is not cleaned & oiled; regardless of the product.

Like I said, everyone has their pet gun oil and mine is Clenzoil. It doesn't gum with age, works in all temps, is a good rust preventative and it has a long track record. That's hardly holy writ and I'm sure you'll get other options.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-27-2017 at 08:10 AM.

I grew up with 3 in 1, then I discovered ATF.

Wipe on, wipe off, good for a long while. I don't mind the smell.

For removing lead ATF + a couple of squirts of Goo gone does the trick.
    You will see a lot of products mentioned, few are as cost effective.

Banned
    Attachment 194125
    These 4 products will take care of about 98% of your firearms lubrication and metal protection needs.

Jacketed projectiles = Hoppes #9 to clean the bore.
    Cast bullets, shotshells and general cleaning = Kroil
    General lubrication and short term protection = Clenzoil
    Long term storage of ferrous metal (iron, steel, etc.) = RIG

PS, I totally agree with Ghosthawk - I used ATF when I had no money. Works just fine.

Boolit Master
    the type F was the best . all the new stuff seems to dry

3 in 1is my favorite. Love the smell. It's sluggish in bitter cold, though. Wth our 60 degree winters it works fine.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    I like 5w-30 Synthetic Motor Oil. Little to no odor, does not dry out or gum, low cost (a quart will last a LONG time), high film strength, works well over a wide temperature range, (flows at well below "0"), no color - does not stain clothing, good lubricant.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Master
    I just use a 50/50 mix of ATF/Mobile1

Boolit Grand Master

Sperm Whale oil used to be the lubricant of choice for precisson insturments and firearms years ago. 3&1 oil other than getting gummy isn't to bad. WD 40 is one of the worst as it wicks into places then gets gummy. Marvels mystery oil, Kroil oil are both good light lubes for short term use. But do run and seep away. 5 weight oils will work fairly well also. In some instances a grease may be better. Another are the various dry lubes available

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Mobil 1--5w/20 or 5w/30

I use whats left in the bottle from oil changes.

So far after 50+ years of changing my own oil the inside of my engine blocks have yet to rust. Same goes for all my firearms.

BTW, I'm not financially challenged.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

You don't have to be "financially challenged" to be frugal(not cheap).
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

I use Ballistol for everything. Not a long term rust preventative but I routinely maintain my collection.

Growing up, my Grandmother kept Singer Sewing Machine Oil and my Grandfather kept 3-in-1 oil. I used both for guns with nary a problem.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Mineral Oil USP from the pharmacy, colorless, odorless, tasteless, nontoxic, inexpensive.

ATF also excellent as is any modern 5w-30 synthetic motor oil.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I grew up with 3 in 1, then I discovered ATF.

Wipe on, wipe off, good for a long while. I don't mind the smell.

For removing lead ATF + a couple of squirts of Goo gone does the trick.
    You will see a lot of products mentioned, few are as cost effective.
    I'm an ATF fan as well, always seems to be a bottle in the garage when I need it and don't have to dig through my closet.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Banned
    ATF is basically 10W oil with some fiction modifiers, dye and a few other things. Used as a gun lube you only needed a few drops. There was always a quart laying around and it was cheap. Sometimes we overthink this stuff too much.

3 in 1 had the same advantage of always being available and relatively inexpensive.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-30-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    You don't have to be "financially challenged" to be frugal(not cheap).
    Very true but there have been times in my life when a brick of .22's cut into my gas money and I wasn't about to go buy a bottle of special "gun oil" .

Boolit Master
    I believe Three in One oil has been made by different people in different factories or countries, which may account for the varying reports we hear of it. Some light oils rub off surfaces very easily, and lubrication is quite a minor role for WD40. I like car gear oil, which comes without some of the additives in engine oils. I don't know if any of these are wrong for guns, but I am sure pure medium oil isn't.

Vendor Sponsor

A little history on the product from Wikipedia

3-In-One Oil

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3-In-One lubricating oil

3-in-One Oil is a general-purpose lubricating oil sold in small cans and squeezable containers for household and do-it-yourself use. It was originally formulated in 1894. Its name, given by the inventor George W. Cole of New Jersey, derives from the product's triple ability to "clean, lubricate and protect," originally for use on bicycles. The formula consists of pale spindle oil with a small amount of corrosion inhibitor and citronella oil (which gives the product its distinctive sharp odor). It remains a popular lubricant for bicycle chains.

The product changed ownership many times throughout the 20th century and was bought by its current owners, the WD-40 Company, in 1995. The current marketing slogan is "The Tool Kit In A Can" with the logo of the text "3 in" inside a large numeral "1".

A few other products are now produced under the 3-in-1 brand, including a white lithium grease, silicone spray, and oil with added PTFE.

In 2000, the can was redesigned to look like the early 20th century oil can design (hemisphere base with tapered straight spout).[1]

An advertisement found in "The Church Standard" magazine (April 13, 1901 pg. 867) offers 3 in 1 Oil as a perfect polish for pianos. It claimed that the oil was "long lasting" and did not come off on the clothes.[2
    Chill Wills

Citronella? That's why the mosquitos leave my guns alone!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast