Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Don't know where else to put this. What is the oldest firearm that you own?

Boolit Bub
    My oldest is a Merwin & Hulbert made somewhere between 1886 and 1891. A fire in the factory destroyed the records, so a precise birth date is about impossible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0041.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	194501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0054.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	194502

I'm not sure how to answer the question either... the oldest??

Name:	100_0515.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	194505

Boolit Buddy
    S & W Hammerless Safety revolver 38 cal, circa 1890's

Name:	330px-S&W_Lemon_Squeezer.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	194519

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Victor N TN View Post
    I have an old Remington #3, double barrel 41 rim fire derringer. It's shiny (maybe nickel ?) with black hard rubber grips. According to Remington's book, the 3 digit serial number indicates it was made in 1864.

These are so cool , I've actually shot one a few times !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

No pic right now, buti have a Swiss Vetterli made in 1881. Nice rifle. Can't believe it's almost 140 years old!! Bore is perfect and I'm looking for an extra bolt so I don't have to drill the original.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Oldest is an Ansley H. Fox "A" grade made in 1911. I use it for game farm pheasants where it really shines. It is choked IC and light mod. Next oldest is a 1924 Winchester Model 12. A special order gun at 26 inches and a very full choke in 12 gauge. I use it for fox, coyotes, and any other vermin that need my attention. I wouldn't like to use it on anything I intend to eat, though it would work well on turkeys.

Boolit Grand Master
    My oldest gun is a Remington 22 pepperbox from the early 1870's. It was functional up until the 1970's, when my father, fearing my brother's serious drug addiction problems, removed and lost the firing pin mechanism. According to family lore, this was the gun my 4' 10" grandmother used to dissuade a pushy tramp who was determined to get a handout and didn't want to take a "no" for an answer. My dad and his brother shot it while in there teens with standard velocity 22 shorts.

My oldest shooting firearm is a 1906 vintage Savage 1899 in .303 Savage. Thanks to PRVI- Partisan, it is shooting again.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Attachment 194978

A "Wm. Moore" 12-bore double made (from the proofmarks and trade-name) between 1837 and 1843. Gun was found in the 1950s by one of my grandfathers in the attic of a 19th century farmhouse that he was scrounging for "period" hardware and millwork prior to demolition of the structure (he was a retired master carpenter who did restoration as a hobby) and given to me by my grandmother after he passed away. Condition is pretty typical of an abandoned gun; ramrod missing, rust patina on exterior with some case-hardening still visible on lockplates and buttplate, Damascus barrels with bores badly rusted/pitted, repaired (wire-wrapped) crack in the wrist of the stock, and right-hand lock non-functional (broken mainspring?). When I went to clean it up, found there was still a charge in the right-hand barrel: 1 1/8 oz. #6 shot with paper wadding (preserved in the medicine bottles beside the gun).

Bill

My oldest 'shooter' is a '98 Krag carbine that goes to the range fairly regularly.
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 05-07-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

This my 1864 Brigesburg.58 cal
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

My Win mod 12 feels young again. DOB 1920 give or take 6 months.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Boolit Bub
    I have a .40 caliber percussion rifle made by Jacob Kline some time between 1828 and 1844--those are the years he was active as a gunsmith in Frankfort Twp, PA.

I have fired it a time or two...

My 1909 Winchester 1897 12 gauge sawed off. It looks like farm machinery working but I can still get 5 bowling pins off the table in 5 seconds or 10 or so. The 1911 slide on my Franken.45 is at least 100 yrs old. My NR Davis and Sons 12 gauge is ninety something and finally the action on my 1893 Spanish Mauser 30-30 is stamped 1926.
    I want something older!
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

Isn't it great to see all these old timers and realize that many of them are still doing what they were made to do?

Boolit Mold
    6 inch smith pre 27

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals

Name:	Cleaning rust off Colt 1849 made in 1857 3-8-2017.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	195475
    Made in 1857

Moderator Emeritus

1932 J Stevens single shot 16 gauge. It was my dads first gun. The stock had been cut then lengthened with a mismatched piece as he got older. I got it when I was 14 and used it like that for years then I decided to restore it with a new stock and have it re-blued and gave it back to him for Christmas one year. He cried when he saw it and used it until he died in the car accident. My little brother tried to claim it and I told him over my dead body, that shotgun is mine, I grew up using it. My oldest sister stepped in and told my money hungry(he would have sold it for $100) little brother to get his paws off of it. I take it out pheasant hunting once in awhile just for the memories. It swings like it is a part of me since I had it restocked. Also very light and easy to carry for 4-5 hours walking.

Boolit Master
    Nothing very old for me....a Remington 514 single shot that I bought new 50 years ago. My first firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    1932 J Stevens single shot 16 gauge. It was my dads first gun. The stock had been cut then lengthened with a mismatched piece as he got older. I got it when I was 14 and used it like that for years then I decided to restore it with a new stock and have it re-blued and gave it back to him for Christmas one year. He cried when he saw it and used it until he died in the car accident. My little brother tried to claim it and I told him over my dead body, that shotgun is mine, I grew up using it. My oldest sister stepped in and told my money hungry(he would have sold it for $100) little brother to get his paws off of it. I take it out pheasant hunting once in awhile just for the memories. It swings like it is a part of me since I had it restocked. Also very light and easy to carry for 4-5 hours walking.
    Damn straight Mary B! Family guns must stay in the family. I too enjoy a single shot for pheasant. They sure carry easy and if you can shoot that's all you need to knock a crazy rooster down.
    Best, Thomas.

1873 Winchester born June 1876.
    "If God hadn't wanted us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat."

Boolit Master

Probably my grandpa's Remington .22 Speedmaster or his Remington shotgun. Both from the 1930's...

Attachment 195747
    Last edited by Idaho45guy; 05-17-2017 at 02:44 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast