Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Would this work well?

Would this work well?

Would this work well for using to put boolits on to PC them in an oven?www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y6MT3LT

I managed to get my hands on some that are arriving and wanted to check or if I should just go straight to silicone baking pans?

Thanks!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by WickedColt View Post
    Would this work well for using to put boolits on to PC them in an oven?www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y6MT3LT

I managed to get my hands on some that are arriving and wanted to check or if I should just go straight to silicone baking pans?

Thanks!
    probley

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I think they'll work fine.

I always give mine about 10+ minutes to cool off before I take them off my mats--bullets sometimes stick a bit when warm
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

As long as your using the shake and bake method it should work fine. Not if your spraying in my experience.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I think they'll work fine.

I always give mine about 10+ minutes to cool off before I take them off my mats--bullets sometimes stick a bit when warm
    Thanks for the advice! It worked like a charm but I let them cool off for a good 20 minutes or so. I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    As long as your using the shake and bake method it should work fine. Not if your spraying in my experience.
    I did use the shake and bake method. It was WAY easier than I anticipated! After I finished it, I was bothered with myself because I was a bit intimidated to try it at first. I should've just gone in and tried it sooner but it worked really well! I used some "Honda Red" Cardinal PC from eBay (I got 2 lbs shipped for $9 but it's now $25 for 3 lbs shipped because the seller upped the price). I used a $20 toaster oven (thanks Amazon) and I know they are not always the best for temp reg but I'm on a tight, tight budget at the moment so I had to use what I could.

I got 2,000 black airsoft bb's (.20 g each I believe) and put a 1/5th in a #5 tupperware bowl with a top and too much powder and shook, swirled and rattled/rolled...Only for about 30 seconds and they were all coated really, really well and evenly! That's when things went downhill.

I used needle-nose pliers to remove them and used the above baking mat (similar to plastic) on the baking pan and they looked perfectly ready to be put in (after I preheated). I checked with an IR thermometer and it was good to go. Right before placing them in, the ALL fell over!! I was in too much of a hurry and just set em' down. Well, they did REALLY well, all things considered. They all mostly had coverage except where a couple stuck together and had to be pulled apart and where a couple touched the metal pan sides. Lessons learned but I'll eventually get some pics up.

Thanks to everyone on this website for their tips and tricks on this!! It's awesome!!!

Boolit Bub
    You slick-talkin' devils!

You got me hooked on powder coating -- I ordered a pound of red from Harbor Freight, bought a toaster oven from Walmart (less than $20, with tax) and cooked up my first batch of 250-grain, .45 Colt bullets. They turned out beautiful. I did have to break them loose from the pan with a stick, but they still look great.

Now I'll have to try this non-stick mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    You slick-talkin' devils!

You got me hooked on powder coating -- I ordered a pound of red from Harbor Freight, bought a toaster oven from Walmart (less than $20, with tax) and cooked up my first batch of 250-grain, .45 Colt bullets. They turned out beautiful. I did have to break them loose from the pan with a stick, but they still look great.

Now I'll have to try this non-stick mat.
    It's great, ain't it!?!?!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	194143Before going in. Don't have a pic after at the moment but it covered so well and easily. Liking the powder but would like to try other colors.

Boolit Buddy
    SO !!! Have you had a chance to thoroughly investigate this product. I just found this thread and am curious as to what it looks like now that you have had a chance to really use it. Fatt boolits would probably pose no problems. Have you tried any skinny boolits with it. Is if "firm" like plastic or some of the silicone mats, or is it more similar to cloth ?. Is it collecting powder deposits from spills and accidents, or does it all just come off with a good wash ? I'd like to graduate from NSAF but not sure which way to step yet.

Parchment paper works very well...I get about 6 bakes on a single sheet.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

I usually replace the parchment paper after 5-6 bakes myself. Its so cheap, you could replace it after each one, but I'm too lazy! *LOL*

I'm A Honcho!
    Just ordered a few of those mats. Thanks for the tip.

I have had good luck with a fine mesh strainer from Bed Bath and beyond. After flowout, the mesh is so fine that you cant feel where the bullets were touching the basket. Especially if I can get the coat on very thin.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...SwYaAlR08P8HAQ

I use the smaller two and put the larger one in the kitchen.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master

My favorite substrate for PC is parchment paper. I've tried mats but the boolits seem to stick a bit to them. With parchment paper they just slide right off.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.