Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally Got My Herter's Model"0" Super Press!

Boolit Master
    In that old thread back when I bought mine, one dude had what looked like a 3-4 foot cheater bar on his. I don't remember for sure, but assume it was for swaging.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    In that old thread back when I bought mine, one dude had what looked like a 3-4 foot cheater bar on his. I don't remember for sure, but assume it was for swaging.
    Hi,
    Well, I wouldn't do that!

But, the linkage is pretty stout it's self and as Pressman says there are holes to set the pivot pins in different configerations....

Depending on what you are doing?

I would be interested in seeing the product description, in the Herter's Catalog, for this press???

I heard it was their most expensive press?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Banned
    I hope someone can get that description for Seagiant. I am leaving for the rest of the week, National Studebaker convention in South Bend, IN. I have what he is asking but no time to scan and post it this morning.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    Also, after man handling 50 pound Hollywood Universals and a 50 pound Super Turret, and the gonad blowing 100 pound Hollywood Automatic Shotgun Presses; I never even considered the weight of my Super O.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master
    I'll dig up my Herter's catalogs and see what I can find.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master
    Also, after man handling 50 pound Hollywood Universals and a 50 pound Super Turret, and the gonad blowing 100 pound Hollywood Automatic Shotgun Presses; I never even considered the weight of my Super O.
    Hi,
    Never thought of that but it has to be the heaviest press I own and.....

I've got most of the single stage "Big Boys"!!!

Thanks on the Herter's Catalog look!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    The Herter's catalog says you can swage the toughest Bullets with two fingers as well as the toughest rifle brass.

In fact, it said you can swage with their #3, U press, modified O (the full U press), and even their manual Turret press, the 234.

The gave a 90 day guarantee with shipping if dissatisfied.

The published weight on the Super O is 32 pounds!

The linkage block can be flipped over for an upward pull for those folks sold on "ridiculous claims" from competitors that an upward pull is superior to a downward.

The linkage can be adjusted for a throw as short as 2.5 inches for swaging.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Thanks Lube!

I was wondering if they hyped this press AS a swaging press!

Have you taken yours apart yet?

Pressman, says there is a bearing (caged?) to look out for?

Admittedly, that will be the first time I've seen a "bearing" in a press?

Boolit Master
    Hey SG, my press was in excellent shape when it arrived so I did not take it apart.

I mounted it on the bench with a little oil here and there, then loaded a few batches of pistol ammo. Overkill I know, but it was still enjoyable.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master
    Hey SG, my press was in excellent shape when it arrived so I did not take it apart.

I mounted it on the bench with a little oil here and there, then loaded a few batches of pistol ammo. Overkill I know, but it was still enjoyable.
    Hi,
    Thanks, I'm probably going to pull mine apart and paint it.

I'm going over it now and filing off all the casting nibs and cleaning it up.

I will leave the original powder coat where I can and then just put on a color coat with Rustoleum!

Probably go a "gunmetal" or dark machine type color.

Never was a fan of that "Herter's Brown" paint, I guess!

Banned
    Seagiant, a word of caution, that press has a rising collector value, re painting will cut it in half.

And Good Morning from the Auburn, Cord and Duesenburg museum. Old cars are almost as cool as old reloading tools.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Seagiant, a word of caution, that press has a rising collector value, re painting will cut it in half.

And Good Morning from the Auburn, Cord and Duesenburg museum. Old cars are almost as cool as old reloading tools.
    Ken
    Hi,
    Thanks Pressman!

I think the collector value on this press went out the window when they lost the original handle!

I bought it for a working press and even though I can make a OEM looking handle....

I would not sale it that way with out full disclosure!

You are no doubt right though, it took me years to find one, for a decent price!

Boolit Master
    The upstroke linkage seats primers on the down stroke. This is much a much superior set up than trying to seat primers pulling up on the handle.

The Herter's catalog says you can swage the toughest Bullets with two fingers as well as the toughest rifle brass.

In fact, it said you can swage with their #3, U press, modified O (the full U press), and even their manual Turret press, the 234.

The gave a 90 day guarantee with shipping if dissatisfied.

The published weight on the Super O is 32 pounds!

The linkage block can be flipped over for an upward pull for those folks sold on "ridiculous claims" from competitors that an upward pull is superior to a downward.

The linkage can be adjusted for a throw as short as 2.5 inches for swaging.
    EDG

My father in-law has one of these. Its a work horse! We have swaged with it. We used the herters half jacket dies, I think 357 or 44. worked just fine!

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Well....Taking Pressman at his word...

When I tore this press apart I checked a few things out!

As I said, I have most of the Big Boys in single stage presses...

I have seen olite sheave bearings before which is nothing but a well machined "sleeve".

I've never seen actual "needle bearing's" until today!

They will get cleaned and greased!

Really nice workmanship on this press as I said before!!!

I also checked out the bottom of the mounting plate, and as cautioned it was high in the middle by almost an 1/8"!

Here are some pics, I ground, then filed, and sanded the bottom of the mounting plate after taking this pic for those wondering?

Thanks for the heads up, Pressman!!!

Boolit Master
    Those bearings look impressive indeed.

My base is rough and untrue as well. When I mounted my press I placed neoprene under the base since it was a temp job. If I do remount it, I will grind the base like you did.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Very nice. Please post a pic of the finished product.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

In Remembrance
    I didn't realize these were hard to come by. I guess I got lucky with mine, which by the way is mounted and in use to this day. lol

I was not even looking for a press, but bullshop had it for sale when he was leaving Alaska, and since I like heavy old iron it along with a box full of herters shell holders and a universal adapter came home with me, apparently at a good price.

It was in excellent shape and is still smooth as glass, so I have never taken it apart, and the brown looks fine mounted between the green one and the black one. lol

Boolit Master
    I also Have aSuper O mounted . I find it to do any Task . The only Draw back For Myself is That since I stand while loading My Bench are 41" in height . and the length of swing on the handle causes me to bend below the table to reach max pressure. also I could never understand why Herters designed a massive press with the bulk of the weight off the table edge.
    Comparing Other heavy machines. for Swaging . The Lachmiller 400 Is my go to press. and I feel a better choice
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Banned
    Those are hard to find as the "Goodfellas" bought them to weigh down stiffs in Soldiers' Field.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast