Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Savage press

Boolit Grand Master

Savage press

Never knew that Savage made a reloading press.
    It does look a little different.
    I looked on the web, but found little about them.
    Anyone have the history on them???
    Maybe someone here even has one.
    Attachment 279547Attachment 279548

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned

I’m sure Pressman will be along to educate us on them! I saw one at a gun show in PA several years ago.

Boolit Master
    I have a Savage straight 8 that I use for decapping brass. the only thing I can see that is questionably is the set screw to hold in shellholders, picked up a few extra of those. I like the press as long as you don't try to push it to far.

Boolit Master

I remember my dad had a Savage power mower probably in the late 50's or early 60's.
    leadhead

Banned
    Savage Model 730 Press

Named the Straight Eight after the unique shape of the upper frame, this press is one of my favorites. The ram and linkage are typical Pacific-type with an extra long, 13.5 inch, handle. The Model 730 press was designed by William S. Winton, who had previously never reloaded a single round of ammo. The gold color for the press was picked by Richard Havourd. Together, they were issued a patent for the press and its priming system on July 5, 1966. Mr. Winton was talented and gifted engineer who was related to the Winton automobile family. He was given the task to design the press when Savage decided to quit making lawn mowers.

This is not a large press. The frame is made in two pieces. The frame is a strong, steel forging, as compared to other maker’s presses which were made of cast iron. The mounting base is a casting. The upper frame is 6 inches tall but only 2.5 inches wide. A horizontal cross bar provides extra support and positive alignment of the ram to the die in the up or down position.

Mounting the Straight Eight to the bench also offers some choices. The handle is in line with the right side of the press and is set at a 45 degree angle to the bench. The upper frame is positioned 90 degrees to the left away from the operator. The frame may be rotated in the base for right or left-hand operation. To use the press the operator must set with his right side to the bench and feed the press with the left hand. Except that he cannot reach the bench with the left hand. The small, narrow frame, plus the cross bar in the frame also interferes with your hands when inserting long rifle cases.

The Savage press is also different from other presses of the time in that all the parts on the press are unique to this press. Most other maker’s presses share some common parts in the handle, pivot block primer system or ram. All the press parts and dies were made in-house at Savage.

The priming arm works very well although there is no provision for primer feed tubes. In fact it works so well that it was copied by Redding and is still used on their presses today. Savage did consider going after Redding for patent infringement but dropped the idea.

The ram accepts interchangeable shell holders of the RCBS-style. They are held in place with a set screw. A full line of shell holders and dies was also offered by Savage.

The press is furnished with two large and two small punches for flat or cupped primers.

A bullet swaging kit with .357, .44 and .45 caliber dies was also offered. The kit consisted of a replacement ram, handle and pivot block along with the appropriate die and nose punch.

The press was made between 1964 and 1968 and sold for $27.50 in its final year.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Never knew that Savage made a reloading press.
    It does look a little different.
    I looked on the web, but found little about them.
    Anyone have the history on them???
    Maybe someone here even has one.
    Attachment 279547Attachment 279548
    Interesting press.
    Does anyone know what the purpose of the bolster in the center of the press is for ?

Boolit Master
    I suspect I'd like that old Savage press for special tasks but I've only seen them in a few photos.

Savage also marketed dies but they didn't last long either. I've only seen one set, .243, and bought it new; mistake! I've used and measured the interiors of a lot of FL size dies over a very long time but that Savage FL .243 die was the ONLY bad reloading die I ever saw; it was poorly reamed and made some visibly crooked reloaded rounds.

To be fair, I doubt that Savage Firearms actually made any of their reloading tools. They probably contracted the separate tools out to small makers and slapped their own label on them.

Boolit Master

Cool press and cool history lesson on it. Thanks for sharing.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Banned
    1hole, Savage made all their presses and dies in house. Die quality on the one I have is excellent, but it's an operation that depends on the skill of the machine operator.

I have a nice set of C-H made dies in 243 that will not resize the base of the case. The opening is to large, so it happens.

Ken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    1hole, Savage made all their presses and dies in house. Die quality on the one I have is excellent, but it's an operation that depends on the skill of the machine operator.
    Ken
    Okay, thanks for that info.

I've always respected Savage's guns. I know some makers of some items do get some things made "out house" rather than in house; guess I was just trying to make that to be the case for my bad die and Savage's short life in the reloading market.

I've read that some die makers have used separate reamers to cut bodies and necks. Never knew which makers did that nor when (or if) it was common practice; do you?

Banned
    No, I do not. The gentleman from Savage who was part of the program has since passed away, taking all his knowledge with him.