Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally Got My Herter's Model"0" Super Press!

Boolit Grand Master
    I found my first one nearly 30 years ago... one of my shooting buddies got it in a bulk buy of an estate, IIRC and I paid him about $20 or less for it. Another friend, the late Jerry ("Jake") Simmons (he of re- and decapper fame) opined that he needed one since he had broken his Rockchucker. I found him one at a gun show soon thereafter and traded it to him for another of his re- & de's. I paid probably $25 or less for that one, but he was glad to trade me one of his units he made himself ( and sold for about $100) to have it in hand. My original is on loan now ,but it is still mine when I need it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Nice find seagiant. When I was about 8 or 10 years old my parents would go visit friends, as was done in the day, dragging me and my younger brothers along. I can remember walking in some of the homes and the lady had about 8 million pairs of salt & pepper shakers every place you looked. On the way home we boys would be in the back seat laughing our butts off about salt & pepper shakers every place. I'm such a sucker for reloading stuff I'm starting to feel like one of those old lady salt & pepper shaker ladies.
    Hey, you're talking about my mom!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master
    That is a solid looking press.
    I'm sure pictures don't do it justice.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

Pictures do not do this press justice!

I almost got a hernia, carrying it in!

I KNOW I got a deal on this even at having to make a new handle for it!

I wiped it down a little and took some pics!

This press HAD to be made to swage with???

If anyone has an old Herter's Catalog and can see what they say about this press, I would be interested!

It has some of the best, solid, machining, I've seen on a press!

My favorite presses are the RCBS A2, and the CH Champion, but this press weighs more than those and can run with them!!!

Ram is very smooth and at 1.5" dia. stout!

Will have to buy the converter for the shellholder!
    Still looking for the shell holder converter????
    If it's the same as for the Herters Turret press, I have an extra one.

agentwolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Seagiant, The handle is 14" long, 5/8" rod. Standard threads. You can get a ball from RCBS, I think.

As long as you have to make a handle, make two. Keep one original and bend the other one. AT 4 inches from the block bend the handle enough to stand past vertical. This does two things, it makes the press easier to use, and it keeps the handle up without using a tie strap.

If you take it apart be careful with the roller bearing where the link attaches to the ram. You can have fun experimenting with leverage and stroke, there are 4 settings. Too many choices.

Also, check the bottom of the mount to make sure it is completely flat before really tightening the bolts to the bench. If it is not you will have to shim it with washers.

And congratulations on getting a great piece of reloading tool history.

Ken
    Do you have any documentation or possibly an illustration(s) on the "4 settings" of the Model-0-Super?
    Last edited by agentwolf; 11-26-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Banned
    I will have to check for instructions. I think I have them. Basically there are 4 combinations of locating the pivot pins with the block and ram.

Ken

i also have a Model-O-Super in bought last year. i also mounted it on a quick change plate for the inline fabrications press mount. mine came with a bent handle so by accident i tried handles from my other presses and lord and behold the handle from my RC II threaded in perfect. so i called RCBS and purchased a replacement handle foe $20.00 and their replacement handle in 4" longer than the stock RC II handle which works out well when i swage with it. so far i have only found 2 positions for the linkage pin so the information from Pressman will be much appreciated. how does one post pictures here?
    Rick

Banned
    Rick, there are two holes in the block and two holes in the top of the link. Herter's didn't write instructions on how to use this press or how to determine which two holes to use.

I have some file confusion, I cannot find the file with all the dates for the various presses, the history of all the presses and a scanned copy of the general press instructions. This is what happens when moving between computers too many times.

Thanks Pressman, Thanks agentwolf, hopefully i will figure out the setup configurations.
    Rick

here are some photo's of my super O mounted on the inline fabrications press mount using the quick change plate system. I found a hole on the right side of the press and realised it is the spent primer chute forgot how heavy this press is compared to the U3 and almost sprained myself. the swage die on the press is the herters .357 flute swage die. right now the ram is in the swage position. still trying to figure out the other settings. does not seem to be used much. only thing I don't like is because of the roller bearings and not enough friction on the ram the handle won't stay up. works well for swageing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rick459; 12-08-2019 at 12:17 AM.

your right about that as my problem now with this set-up is when put into normal reloading mode the little foot of the linkage will hit the accessory tray at the bottom of the press stand and you can not lower the ram all the way down. in swage mode no problem. so I will have to cut a little notch out of the tray for clearance. makes wonder if you mount it on a bench it will have to be open at bottom like a regular table to use the regular reloading mode.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Banned
    I had mine mounted on a 3/4" board that slides, bread board fashion, into the front of the bench and never had a problem.

On way to cure the floppy handle is have another one made and put a bend in it about 3 inches up from the block. Bend it enough so that it is past vertical in the up position. The handle will not drop unless bumped.

Boolit Master
    So, what would be the approximate price for one of these?

i was able to purchase mine for $175.00 on ebay only because it had a bent handle. never try to do any swaging with the handle set for reloading cartridges because you can not set the swage to grab enough threads without stripping the threads. as of now i am looking for a local machine shop to drill and tap the orignal hole so i can fit a 1 1/2"x12 steel bushing like the RCBS uses.

Boolit Master
    I picked up one at an auction recently for about $150. It came with two shell holders and an adapter for std shell holders as well as a primer catcher that looks original. It also has two Herters loading dies in 270 and 300 win. There is one outer housing set and inner dies for fl sizing, neck sizing and bullet seating both 270 and 300 win.
    After trying 2 different pin settings, it's easy to see it switches the length of the ram movement while retaining the full handle movement thus creating a lot more pressure at a swage die.
    Mine is also not flat on the bottom but I will be fixing that.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I picked up one at an auction recently for about $150. It came with two shell holders and an adapter for std shell holders as well as a primer catcher that looks original. It also has two Herters loading dies in 270 and 300 win. There is one outer housing set and inner dies for fl sizing, neck sizing and bullet seating both 270 and 300 win.
    After trying 2 different pin settings, it's easy to see it switches the length of the ram movement while retaining the full handle movement thus creating a lot more pressure at a swage die.
    Mine is also not flat on the bottom but I will be fixing that.
    Can you post some photo's , I enjoy seeing these old Monster Presses !
    Congratulations on your nice score , sounds like you did good !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I just picked up a Super-O- press with the primer attachment and about 10 shell holders for $60. So the deals are still out there! The ting is a tank! It will replace my Lee single stage on the bench.
    So the presses I have now:
    Hornady LNL AP (favorite)
    RCBS Jr single stage (favorite single stage)
    Lee Single stage O press (worn out now, loose and wobbly ram, only lasted 7500 cycles)
    Dillon XL650 (sits idle in the garage, the Honrnady is much more elegant and reliable)
    Lee 12g press (on a 2x6 for quik mount to the bench when needed, which is not often)
    Herters Super O (will try it out this weekend.

Boolit Master
    GONRA wonders if seagiant hasa Dave Cumberland "Rock Crusher"
    or CH4D licensed copy in his collection?
    My "Rock Crusher" easily resizes Chicom LCS 14.5x114mm Soviet "brass".
    (CH4D dies, STP Oil Treatment case lube.)
    Assuming my "Rock Crusher" is typical, be prepared to touch it up a bit (like HF Lathes.)
    Assume the CH4D copy is First Class machining. BUT have no experience.
    ANYWAY - its a wonderful Huge Press!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Well after literally YEARS of looking and chasing finally got a Herter's "0" Super Press!

Had run into a few but did not either like the condition or the price.

This one does not have the original handle but it will be easy to make on my lathe...

As it is only a 1/2" round bar with a black plastic ball on the end!

I now have MOST of the bigger type presses, not including the big Hollywoods!!!
    You lucky.... I have lusted in my heart after a Herter's press since I learned to reload "helping" my dad, as a kid, somewhere between 55&60 years ago. No such luck so far, though I have managed several sets of Herter's reloading dies in the last few years Enjoy using it, and know that at least one person's eyes are green with envy!

Banned

There is one on Ebay right now for a fairly low bid with a day and a half left to go. Someone painted it yellow, but otherwise appears useable.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast