Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally Got My Herter's Model"0" Super Press!

Boolit Master

Finally Got My Herter's Model"0" Super Press!

Hi,
    Well after literally YEARS of looking and chasing finally got a Herter's "0" Super Press!

Had run into a few but did not either like the condition or the price.

This one does not have the original handle but it will be easy to make on my lathe...

As it is only a 1/2" round bar with a black plastic ball on the end!

I now have MOST of the bigger type presses, not including the big Hollywoods!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Grand Master

SWEET ! Nice find , give us the story on how you found it.
    I'm a sucker for Herter's , when I started loading no internet, amazon or midway...you mail ordered it from Herter's ...bullet moulds, dies , plastic ammo boxes shell holders, powder , primers.
    That press is listed as the Herter's Model "O" Super Maximum Power Reloading Tool, in 1968 it sold for the whopping price of $29.95.... Now that's twice the price of their other single station presses.
    The 6 other models sold for between $12.00 to $15.00....the Super "O" was the top dog !
    I bet at thirty bucks they didn't sell a lot....mine was the $12.95 model.
    Congratulations on the Herter's Haul, post a few more photo's of that bad boy !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

gwpercle, I cut my teeth so to speak on Herter's equipment in the early 50's when I started duck hunting with Dad and uncles, and older cousins. We bought the old Herter's duck decoys for our use. Dad and uncles would order ty flying supplies(polar bear hair, feathers, fly tying jigs, hooks, and head molds, etc. ) and we would ty our own flies. I caught many a fish with the flies we tied. There's just something special about catching fish with your own homemade gear. We had old catalogs that had reloading ammunition reloading tools in them but we never started reloading till the late 50's to early 60's. Herter's made some really good stuff back then.

Seagiant, glad to see you found one of those old "O" presses and in such great condition. I saw pictures of them in the day but never saw one up close and personal. It looks like it is a heavy press. Did you see that 3 stage Texan that sold on Ebay over the weekend? I did not know that Texan made a 3 stage press. It looked like the C&H 333 but wider and taller and looked heavier. james

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    The "O" press from Herters is actually hard to find!

I have let 2 go because of price in as many years!

MOST owners are VERY proud of them when they decide to sale!

I found this on the Bay and it is in transit.

The owner only took a couple of crummy pics but I will take more and post when I get it!

What is interesting to me is this is NOT a compound linkage only a single but is built like a Russian Tank (T-34?)

The late Swagerman from this forum actually used one to swage with?

I guess that tells a tale!

Here is a pic of one with an original handle.

As you can see it is easy to make on a lathe!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Congrats SG! Sure looks nice.

I overpaid dearly for mine many years ago. While I was bidding on mine with no other bidders some "nice" member posted a "look what's for sale on eBay" thread. After many posts praising the press, all of a sudden everybody and their brother was bidding on it. I stuck to my guns since I had been searching for one for a long time. (I can't even begin to tell how many times this scenario has happened to me on this site.)

Funny thing was, about 6 months later another one came up for auction and sold for less than half of what mine did. Of course, Mr Bigmouth never alerted the community to that sale.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    wow... I never knew such a thing existed. Looks very heavy duty. I can see your interest in it.

But I guess the more things change..the more they stay the same. The 'compound linkage' on that press looks like all the newest and greatest linkages today!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by castalott View Post
    wow... I never knew such a thing existed. Looks very heavy duty. I can see your interest in it.

But I guess the more things change..the more they stay the same. The 'compound linkage' on that press looks like all the newest and greatest linkages today!
    Hi,
    Thanks Lube!

Hope it makes the journey ok!

I'll stick my neck out and say it's the heaviest, biggest, SINGLE leverage press ever made????

The ram looks like it is 1.5" round?

Never saw one before, but will post more info, and pics when I get it!

Castalott, it is a single leverage, the Compound usually has 2 arms to support it!

Admittedly it does have part of the casting on each side that looks pretty hefty!

Banned
    Seagiant, The handle is 14" long, 5/8" rod. Standard threads. You can get a ball from RCBS, I think.

As long as you have to make a handle, make two. Keep one original and bend the other one. AT 4 inches from the block bend the handle enough to stand past vertical. This does two things, it makes the press easier to use, and it keeps the handle up without using a tie strap.

If you take it apart be careful with the roller bearing where the link attaches to the ram. You can have fun experimenting with leverage and stroke, there are 4 settings. Too many choices.

Also, check the bottom of the mount to make sure it is completely flat before really tightening the bolts to the bench. If it is not you will have to shim it with washers.

And congratulations on getting a great piece of reloading tool history.

Ken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Seagiant, The handle is 14" long, 5/8" rod. Standard threads. You can get a ball from RCBS, I think.

As long as you have to make a handle, make two. Keep one original and bend the other one. AT 4 inches from the block bend the handle enough to stand past vertical. This does two things, it makes the press easier to use, and it keeps the handle up without using a tie strap.

If you take it apart be careful with the roller bearing where the link attaches to the ram. You can have fun experimenting with leverage and stroke, there are 4 settings. Too many choices.

Also, check the bottom of the mount to make sure it is completely flat before really tightening the bolts to the bench. If it is not you will have to shim it with washers.

And congratulations on getting a great piece of reloading tool history.

Ken
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info Pressman!!!!

I'm actually nervous waiting on this!

The Seller had it up for "buy it now" at $88 with $22 shipping...

I took him up on it!

I knew it didn't have the original handle,but didn't care as it's easily made!

This press HAS to be smooth with regular reloading!!!

Boolit Buddy
    That's very nice! Great find!

Boolit Master
    Nice find seagiant. When I was about 8 or 10 years old my parents would go visit friends, as was done in the day, dragging me and my younger brothers along. I can remember walking in some of the homes and the lady had about 8 million pairs of salt & pepper shakers every place you looked. On the way home we boys would be in the back seat laughing our butts off about salt & pepper shakers every place. I'm such a sucker for reloading stuff I'm starting to feel like one of those old lady salt & pepper shaker ladies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Nice find seagiant. When I was about 8 or 10 years old my parents would go visit friends, as was done in the day, dragging me and my younger brothers along. I can remember walking in some of the homes and the lady had about 8 million pairs of salt & pepper shakers every place you looked. On the way home we boys would be in the back seat laughing our butts off about salt & pepper shakers every place. I'm such a sucker for reloading stuff I'm starting to feel like one of those old lady salt & pepper shaker ladies.
    Hi,
    I've tried to get at least one of the bigger,stout, presses that were ever made!

I've been pretty successful over the years bidding my time and waiting for a good or fair deal?

Some I probably paid top price as they were hard to find and going up in value everyday!

I now need to build some shelves to hold my presses as the reload bench is getting to crowded for work! Ha!

Boolit Buddy
    Good for you, Seagiant. This is the first time I have seen one of those. It is now on my list of presses to have.

What a monster.

Isaac

Boolit Grand Master

Awesome...will be looking for photo's when you get it.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Thanks!

Here is a pic of the late Swagerman's, Herter's Model "O" Super....

Used for swaging!!!

Click on the pic and look at the size of the ram!!!

Boolit Buddy
    No compound linkage on a press that size?? Did they even have compound on other presses 50+ years ago? I keep reading the green presses had it first, but don't know for sure.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I think maybe "Compound Linkage" is a tricky question.

This does not have 2 bars on each side like a RCBS Rockchucker,BUT....

It has 2 cast iron colums going down each side to support the pivot pin and pivot block?

As I said the above pic is one set up to SWAGE bullets!

Maybe "Pressman" can give a little insight on just what qualifies for, "Compound Leverage"???

Banned
    Think RCBS for compound linkage. It is s fully variable pressure through the entire stroke.
    Pacific, Herter's and everyone else has a simple 4 to 1 leverage, Hollywood too.

RCBS invented the swing link handle and block in 1945, they got it patented in 1952 and that kept the competition from coping them. They could have paid royalties but chose not to.

That left shortening the stroke to get more leverage for swaging, and then the difference in minimal.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Think RCBS for compound linkage. It is s fully variable pressure through the entire stroke.
    Pacific, Herter's and everyone else has a simple 4 to 1 leverage, Hollywood too.

RCBS invented the swing link handle and block in 1945, they got it patented in 1952 and that kept the competition from coping them. They could have paid royalties but chose not to.

That left shortening the stroke to get more leverage for swaging, and then the difference in minimal.
    Ken
    Hi,
    Thanks Pressman!

Interesting!!!

I admit, I never knew the real story on that, or just what qualified for....

Compound leverage!

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

Pictures do not do this press justice!

I almost got a hernia, carrying it in!

I KNOW I got a deal on this even at having to make a new handle for it!

I wiped it down a little and took some pics!

This press HAD to be made to swage with???

If anyone has an old Herter's Catalog and can see what they say about this press, I would be interested!

It has some of the best, solid, machining, I've seen on a press!

My favorite presses are the RCBS A2, and the CH Champion, but this press weighs more than those and can run with them!!!

Ram is very smooth and at 1.5" dia. stout!

Will have to buy the converter for the shellholder!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast