Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy 7.7 x 57 jap ammo

Where to buy 7.7 x 57 jap ammo

Hey all,
    A buddy of mine has a rifle that had been handed down through his family and hadn't been shot in "forever". He just recently got it "restored" and is ready to fire some ammo through it.
    Being an oddball size, he's looking for options on where to get ammo (he is not into reloading, and I don't do rifle).
    He's not looking to take down elephants, so high power is not desired.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you very much!
    Bob

Boolit Bub
    $31.00 for 20 at Cabelas.
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

Thanks fellas. I'm not a rifle guy. Seems high for plinking, are those reasonable?
    Obviously the second one is cheaper. Does anyone here sell reloads that would be any cheaper?

Boolit Grand Master
    7.7×58mm Arisaka , not 57 mm

Boolit Master
    Powder Valley has brass cases in stock, Privi-Partisan at $25/50 cases, if you load your own...

No, I've got a Lee Load-All for shotguns, but can't do rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    7.7×58mm Arisaka , not 57 mm
    Are you saying that I was asking for the wrong round?

Boolit Master
    The Japanese used several types of 7.7 cartridges so its best to make certain you get the right type. Some Jap 7.7 was a rimmed cartridge interchangeable to the .303 British. It was intended for their copy of the Lewis Gun.

A mixup with a 7.92X57 cartridge in the 7.7X58 chamber has blown up an Arisaka belonging to a member of another board. Luckily he had remote test fired using a booth.
    This is probably not that uncommon since many Chinese captured Arisakas were re-bored to 7.92 and some hook safety rifles made by the Chinese were originally made in 7.92X57.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
    Are you saying that I was asking for the wrong round?
    Yes, As far as I know there is no 57 mm Japanese round.

Ohhh well then... We should start by some form of swage measurement, or a caliper to find out what the actual bore is then, correct?
    I also need to make sure I didn't incorrectly write down the numbers he gave me. I could have sworn it was 57, but I could be wrong.

Boolit Master
    My best advice is to make your own ammo if your only going to shoot it once in a while. Just buy some reloading dies. You can use 30-06 or 270 brass. I use 270 brass because i do not own a 270 and not to get a mix up with my 30.06 rifles. Just resize in a 7,7 dies and trim down to 7.7 x 58. The early Jap 7.7 from 1939 to about 1941 are the best ones to find. The bore size is better on the early models. But they can range from 310 to 318 bore size. The Jap rifle is on the crude side compare to other nation rifle. But they used good steel and have a strong action. Also to note during the Korea war they rechamber a lot of 7.7 Jap rifle to 30-06. Also after WW11 GI bringing back 7.7 some had them rechamber to 30,06 to hunt deer. Same as the 6.5 rifle rechamber to 6.5 257 Roberts.

Boolit Master
    For not much more than the cost of a few boxes of factory ammo you could set up to load rifle ammo:

http://www.titanreloading.com/image/...17-600x600.jpg

Titan also has the 7.7 Jap pacesetter die set in stock...$29.95...
    Just tryin' to be helpful here....

I didn't know a fellow could reload rifle ammo for that cheap. Thanks CHeatermk3

Not sure my buddy is going to want to get into reloading but I'll run it by him.
    Thanks again fellas, it is MUCH appreciated!

Boolit Master
    7.7 jap comes in waves from PPU Norma
    Hornady makes it also but again limited runs from what I know.
    It was right around 1$ round up until Bout 4 years ago.
    Reloading is the way to go. I shoot cast bullets from mine and it does well enough to be fun.
    If the rifle was restored I would hope the person's restoring it would do a chamber cast and headspace check if it was intended to be functional.

Try Graf&Sons for Privi-Partizan 7.7x58 Japanese.

I'll check into that, thank you!

Boolit Master
    You were probably thinking of 8 x 57 Mauser which can be resized to 7.7 x 57 which works in a model 99 even though the brass is a little short.
    The Privi-Partizan brass is good quality, I've used it for both my 7.7 Japs and Molsin 91/30.

Of the 7 "hits" of Privi-Partizan on that site, all were either out of stock or temporarily unavailable.
    haha. oh well.
    Not looking good for my buddy to fire cheap stuff. Thanks for the time and wisdom fellas!

Boolit Master
    Most 7.7 Jap shooters resize other cartridges and reload them for their rifles. 30-06 is the most popular along with 270 Winchester brass but they both need to be trimmed to size. I've used 8 x 57 Mauser brass which is a bit short by running it through a Full Length resizing die. The brass works fine and is readily available. It'a an option instead of buying the expensive Norma brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast