PBcastcoWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sparrows in the Barn

Boolit Master

I was on the front porch the other checking for trash that the door-to-door sales guys drop off all too often. I hardly ever go in or out the front door since the back door is closer to the garage. As such, if I don't see something on the front door as I'm driving by it, I don't go there very often. It might be months if I don't see something obvious (like a package) there. I had noticed that hadn't been ringing my door bell as much lately though. So, anyway... I was checking it the other day and I noticed a yellow jacket nest right at the top of the door. I think I know why I'm not getting as many of the people leaving stuff on my door these days.

[QUOTE I noticed a yellow jacket nest right at the top of the door. I think I know why I'm not getting as many of the people leaving stuff on my door these days. [/QUOTE]

Maybe there is a good side to yellowjackets, at least when they are in a strategic location.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
    Maybe there is a good side to yellowjackets, at least when they are in a strategic location.
    They do tend to have an attitude if you disturb them. Maybe I should put a sign on the door, "Doorbell doesn't work, please knock loudly".

Of course, then I would have to put a video camera there and post the results to YouTube...

In Remembrance

Back in the 50's we tried the stuffed owl in the barn but the sparrows and black birds soon caught on. My job as a 10 year old was to deal with the issue. my weapon of assignment was a London Colt, .36 Navy calibre. This was loaded with a .22 long case full of Curtis & Harey's No.6 Black powder and two 3/8 x 3/8 diameter leather harness punch-out wads. These were absolutely deadly at 40 feet. This was my "go-to" load for rats and the occasional varmint.

Boolit Mold
    When I was a youngster, a lot of sparrows nested in the eaves of our garage. Dad put up a 1x6 board 6 in or so below the eaves for our cat to use as a walkway. In the evening, after the birds had settled in for the night, we would put the cat up on the walkway and he would help himself to a smorgasbord of fine feathery food. This was about 70 years ago and I don't remember just how he managed to hold on to more than one but, he would get two or three and want to be let down to eat them.

I bet if we had left him a way to get up and down there on his own he would have kept them cleaned out.

Give anybody any ideas about using their cats for flying pest control?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Squint View Post
    When I was a youngster, a lot of sparrows nested in the eaves of our garage. Dad put up a 1x6 board 6 in or so below the eaves for our cat to use as a walkway. In the evening, after the birds had settled in for the night, we would put the cat up on the walkway and he would help himself to a smorgasbord of fine feathery food. This was about 70 years ago and I don't remember just how he managed to hold on to more than one but, he would get two or three and want to be let down to eat them.

I bet if we had left him a way to get up and down there on his own he would have kept them cleaned out.

Hmmm... I'm thinking cat plus trebuchet... Or for a cat, should you use a "cat-apult"?

Boolit Mold
    Good one there!

Maybe I should have worded that differently.

Boolit Master

Good one there!

Maybe I should have worded that differently.
    Nawh, you worded it *perfectly* for a set up.

Boolit Mold
    You're welcome.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    We had a bird "problem" where I worked. The truck barn was infested with swallows, so the mess on the vehicles was something to behold. The company purchased a product called "Bird Begone"....a sticky, grainy, gooey material that was painted on all horizontal surfaces such as truss beams, etc. It stays sticky so when the birds land on it they immediately take flight again. With no place to land and rest their little birdy feet, they soon learn to find other quarters. It worked for years.

Vendor Sponsor

Cat-anon and as a filler use kibble and bits
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
    Well, my wife made the mistake of answering the door today when someone rang the door bell and then they got scared by all of the "flying greeters" and was backing up off the front porch rather quickly. She out the window on the door and she was even scared s---less even though she did not have the door open so they could not harm her. She kept nagging at me most of the day, so I finally went and sprayed them with wasp killer. Too bad... They really seemed to be good for keeping those pesky door-to-door solicitors (or criminals looking to see whether people were home) away.

I'm thinking I need a sign something like this on the front door:

GO AWAY !!!

You are TRESPASSING and will be dealt with as such!

I don't care what you are selling, I won't buy it.
    I don't care what political candidate or position you are supporting, you're not going to change my mind.
    I don't care what religion you are advocating, you won't change my mind.

And... GET OFF MY LAWN, DAMMIT !!!

Boolit Master
    I have 1 better navyvet, tell them you are from the coroner's office working with a dead body and they are now subject to interrogation and they cannot leave for 16 hours................. please have a seat.

Navyvet, Too bad your wife failed to see the bigger picture. It looks like the greeters did their job as far as backing unwanted people off your porch.

Your idea for a sign should be effective too. Here's my sign at front gate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dobermancolor.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	202247

Boolit Buddy
    &

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234