Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could design your own casting furnace what features would you want?

Happy with my Lyman furnace and dipper. I can't even comprehend needing to cast that many bullets.....doesn't compute.

I can't even comprehend needing to cast that many bullets.....doesn't compute.
    In order to compute an amount of bullets, you need to know their weight. A 10 lb pot would hold enough lead for 140, 500 grain bullets. Twice as many 250 grain, four times as many 125 grain...

Boolit Master
    A hinged lid on the top and a wingnut on the rod so you can stop the drips without using a screwdriver to twiddle it .don't want to many bells and whistles as it only means more to break and more cost.

Double pot, top feeds the bottom and automatically keeps the bottom pot level approximately the same height and temp at all times.

Boolit Master

4 spouts to fill a 4 cavity mold fast. Maybe two handles side by side with dual spouts for each handle.
    At one with the gun.

I'd like one with a phaser heating element, powered by a miniature dilithium warp drive engine. That way it would have enough power to melt the entire pot in just a few seconds.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    That is, till scotty needs it for more warp power!

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=minmax;4033803]Ascast, I was trying to figure out a way to make a wood burning down pour setup.
    It would be good for camping, hunting, apocalypse...

I think that gas is the way to go. The burner would be easy to make: some copper tubing with holes in it. Have to experiment with it to fine tune. I hope Propane would be enough.

I think keeping all of your reloading gear and casting gear and components at home would be the way to go. I could haul a lot of loaded ammunition in a smaller space, with less weight and more resistant to exposure to the elements than a reloading and sizing press, molds, clean empty brass, bullets, primers and powder.

Even if we were talking muzzle loading you could do it like this.

But unless your as young as that fella, that position is going to get old real quick and I could still haul more bullets in less space than he can pack his mold, ladle, pan and sheet of lead into.

Boolit Buddy

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Happy with my Lyman furnace and dipper. I can't even comprehend needing to cast that many bullets.....doesn't compute.
    Move outside the DENVER Firearms Persecution Zone, buy a submachine gun and you will immediately Grok the importance of maximum lead processing and buying powder in 8lb ( or larger kegs).

But back on topic: Yes 80 or even 100lbs capacity and replaceable nozzles so you can configure for bullet molds, high volume molds like 50 cal and shotgun slugs or large ingot molds.

Maybe duel heater elements, one for the main, and one below the valve on the nozzle mount.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    A tag on the front that says SEACO .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12