Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 550b blues!

Boolit Buddy
    When setting up the powder die... The drop tube is put in and when you mount the powder hopper/dispenser DO NOT completely tighten the two setscrews to hold the powder hopper on the die. There should be a little play (up/dwn) but still in the groove. I finger snug but not crank on it with an allen wrench. This small movement allows the drop tube to better align and the belling to be more consistent if your cases are not radically different in OAL.
    Those stress balls really work..... When you get to shove them down a persons throat.

Boolit Master

I've been using my Dillon 550 for 27 years now. The other day it suddenly started spitting primers. It took me 20 minutes of fiddling, looking for a broken component, before I realized I had the wrong size primer slide installed.

Boolit Master

I've used a 450 converted to 450B for 30+ years, the only problem I've had with primers flipping
    is when the priming cup gets out of line with the hole in the shell plate carrier.
    As you lower the ram, if the primer cup catches on the edge of the hole in the carrier
    it becomes spring loaded then slips into the hole flipping the primer.

You also need to keep the area under the primer slide clean as old primer residue will collect
    under it causing it to stick under the primer tube or it will not move far enough
    to the rear to pick up a primer.

I've used all primer brands in my 450B, have had no problems with any.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

My bench is 6 1/2'x 17 1/2"s, made entirely of 2x8"s then 5/8" plywood scrwed to the top of 2x8"s laying flat on top. It's not moving.
    That was a great vid on the primer cups, I like that! When I changed the slide bar I made sure I had the shell carrier all the way down to make sure it was lined up.
    Doesn't look like I'll mess with it today, been throwing up since 4am, gotta love weather changes!
    Thanks for all the tips and insight so far, it'll get sorted out someday!

Finally felt half decent today so I sat down to have a "chat" with the Dillon. First primer was loaded sideways, second was in the cup upside down!
    Sometimes we are our own worst enemy!
    As I went to flip the primer over I noticed how sloppy it was in the pocket. This got me thinking, so I pulled out the other primer slide and noted how the primer fit in that cup. Yup, no slop in that one! Dillon had shipped it with the small primer set up! Boy don't I look stupid?
    Cranked out some rounds, no more primer issues! Still not getting the powder measure reset every time, but I'm a work in progress it seems!
    Thanks for all the support so far.

Boolit Master
    I am laughing with you on this one.
    I will try to remember to add this to my checklist.
    Funny thing is that no one thought of it, the simplest issues are often overlooked.
    Same thing as starting troubleshooting with 'is it plugged in?'
    Surprised that I haven't done this yet, sometimes it seems like I have made every other mistake.
    Loading a batch of unlubed Boolits was one of the better ones.

Glad you figured it out.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Just when I thought we were starting to get along! Set it up for another load, took a bit to get the powder measure right, again, but got it. Loaded a few, checked every primer to start with, but was mainly focused on the powder charge. Sure as ****, damn thing quit feeding primers! I'm seeing a trip to the scrap yard then machine shop down the street real soon! That stupid plastic primer pusher is fixing to be brass!

Boolit Master
    Maybe I'm stupid, but I threw the primer actuator arm thingy away 20 yrs ago and just manually move the primer arm for each round.

I so regret selling my 450!!

It's not the acuater, it's the plastic rod that pushes the primers down the tube that doesn't weigh enough.

Boolit Master
    Put a 45 case on it, acp, colt 454 casul etc.
    That is enough weight to keep it working.

The follower is plastic so it does not become a dangerous projectile in case of a primer chain explosion.

Are you sure the primer feed slide is going all the way back?

And that there is nothing in the way, like a spent primer?

I have had that happen a time or two.

Don't get discouraged, soon you will have a slick running machine.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mjwcaster; 05-01-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    This one was added when I didn't have the primer tube seated all the way.
    I would rather find the issues with only 10 primers to deal with rather than 100.
    I've done this on my 550. It only takes once for me to start double-checking it.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    I should add to my list make sure primer flip tray is completely on the bench.
    Got to pick up most of 100 primers a few weeks ago when I must have let it sit slightly over the edge of the bench. Then pressed down on it with the pickup tube and flipped it all on to the floor.
    I thought I was the only one clumsy enough to do something like this. It's amazing how far those little buggers can go!
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

Boolit Master
    PowPow I think I only got about 95 of the live primers picked up.
    I also picked up plenty of spent primers that were on the floor.
    Glad I have bare concrete, could not imagine that on plush carpet.
    And I have had the press mounted in my living room before, just never spilt primers then.

Yeah, we don't wanna talk about dropped primers! My press is in mama's computer room, I'm gonna have to fire up the shop vac soon.

Boolit Master
    Followers?

Your Dillon RL550B has a follower to push primers down the feed tube?
    Mine just slide down and feed by gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by CHeatermk3 View Post
    Followers?

Your Dillon RL550B has a follower to push primers down the feed tube?
    Mine just slide down and feed by gravity.
    Yes, the black plastic piece that hits the low primer alarm?

Well, I’m a bigger idiot than I ever imagined! I finally got around to loading some 45acp for my dad this evening. Changed out the tool head, changed out the shell plate, primer cup and primer tube. Adjusted the sizing die and got the flaring die close, time to prime and adjust the powder charge. I go to load the primers, they won’t go in the tube? GRRRRRRR!! I had the large primer tube in with small primers and swapped it out installing the small primer tube! Not spilling primers everywhere was entertaining for sure, but I somewhat managed. Changed out the tube and managed to load 50rds without a single primer issue, imagine that! Idiot!
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Glad you got the primer tubes figured out. I've been running 450's with auto prime and auto powder system as well as my own 550 for some time (A couple of decades anyway) and it is amazing how we as human operators can figure out ways to screw up a system that does work once you get all the kinks figured out. I found that most of my hiccups were from ME not the 550 system. Good luck.
    regards,

Boolit Master

The written instructions are fairly clear. There are plenty of Youtube videos, and Dillon sells one, too. If you don't know what you are doing, be smart and read/watch. Also find someone here who is in your area who owns one that is willing to show you how to set it up.
    Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 12-12-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

You didn’t read the op.

Remember, real men don't need instructions!
    Your trying to take all the fun out of it for him.

Boolit Grand Master
    One nice thing about having multiple presses is that I do not change out primer systems. I am a lazy SOB.
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast