Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 550b blues!

550b blues!

Got around to setting up my new to me/newly refurbished 550b tonight, had some problems!
    Took a loaded round to set the seater depth and crimper, made sure the sizing did was touching the shell plate, mounted the powder measure and went to set the flairing. Not terrible to set, but a lot more touchy than the RCBS dies I'm used to, half a turn with these is a LOT!
    Got that sorted, then to throwing a charge, well, I understand why Dillon owners have so many powder measures! Trying to remember which way to turn for less or more, then getting it backwards a dozen times, never mind it must have come set fully open! Took a bit to get set right.
    Remember, real men don't need instructions!
    So set up, just wanted to do a short run to see how things go, I load up 10 primers, might have been part of my undoing? Then set the rod on and try to load, first primer goes in sideways, then it won't feed anymore! Tried lightly tapping them down, no love, pulled the inner primer tube out to reset it, don't do that!!! Dumps primers all over the primer slide!
    Fish out all the primers and reload the tubes, works great, or so I thought! Three of the eight loaded upside down?
    Before it starts, I know it comes with the large primer set up ready, I took out the bronze colored slide, installed the silver one. I have tube with the red end in the primer system, red end down, rotated until it seated fully, and used the yellow pick up tube.
    Could it be I just didn't put in enough primers?
    How do you safely empty the primer system to switch calibers?
    So much to learn it seems.

Boolit Master
    I wrote "away is down" on my bench under the press. Also had a 10%+ failure rate when priming, but over time it has declined to almost zero, either I learned not to jerk things around too much or the press needed to break in.

Best way to change primers is to first load until the tube is empty.

I find that every now and then, say 5,000 rounds just to pick a number, the plastic dispenser at the bottom of the primer tube needs to be replaced. Was probably done with your refurb, but maybe not.

And sorry, my experience is with a SDB, but I think the experience is similar enough to give you hope that things will improve quickly.

Remember, real men don't need instructions! . . . . . . Ain't that the truth!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

If you're using the powder bar for the first time close it completely before you put it in the measure. This way you can only open it. There are vendors on eBay who sell inexpensive plastic knobs that install over the stock screw. They give you a good reference point when changing positions.

I've never had a primer system issue. I only load it w/ the amount of primers I'm going to use. I don't use it for short runs. I have other presses for that. While the 550B is a versatile press it works best for production runs.

Boolit Master
    Can't you use your RCBS dies in this press? I thought only the SD required using Dillon dies.

Yes, everything is basicly new with the refurb, I think the only thing they didn't replace was the frame!
    I realize it's not good for short runs, I just wanted to function test it before dumping more money into it, it's set up for 9mm and I don't even own a 9mm!
    Ill have to write the away is down, or some such myself! Also will close off the other powder measure before putting powder in it!

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Can't you use your RCBS dies in this press? I thought only the SD required using Dillon dies.
    This is a 550, I can use all but the flaring die because Dillon flares and drops powder at the same station, like the Lee four die sets.

Think of the powder bar adjuster as you would any other regulator. On a regulator, when you turn it clockwise or screw the bolt in it increases the amount of flow or in this case powder. When you unscrew the bolt or turn it to the left you decrease the amount of flow or in this case the flow of powder.
    Last edited by corbinace; 04-26-2017 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Dang telephone

Boolit Master

Keep in mind powder bars are cheap and easily swapped. If you have a powder bar for each charge you throw that's almost as good as having dedicated powder measures.

CCI primers work better than most in the 550 and 650. It's not that they're my favorite; they just work in the primer feed more smoothly.

A Dillon has to be mounted on a very solid bench or you'll have primer problems. They just don't do well if the press shakes or vibrates. My Dillon bench is well designed but not overly heavy. It is, however, mounted to studs in the wall. That really helps dampen vibration. The bench top is 3/4 ply on a 2x4 frame with a 2x12 under the ply and tied in to the front and back 2x4s and glued to the ply where each press mounts. It's very stiff.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    My 550 will somehow spit a primer on the floor every couple hundred rounds or so. Other that that and me using the wrong primer tube it works great.

Smooth motion is the key to not having primer issues. The smoother you operate the lever/handle the better.
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Master

Agreed. The 550b priming operation needs smooth and stable. I have moved numerous
    times, bolted to a heavy or bolted to the wall bench is much better than a shaky bench. BTDT with it on a Craftsman tool chest style work bench. Need to be
    deliberately smooth to avoid primer flipping.

Boolit Grand Master

Flipping primers is a bench that isn't stiff enough. Inability to remember which way to turn a screw, I can't help you with.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Flipping primers is a bench that isn't stiff enough. Inability to remember which way to turn a screw, I can't help you with.
    I can - I've put '+' on one side and '-' on other side of the powder bar with permanent marker

Boolit Master
    When are the primers flipping?
    As they drop from the tube or are they getting flipped while traveling?

I agree with the bench issue.
    If it flexes at all you will have more issues.
    A sturdy bench and a clean press eliminate most issues.

How to remove primers-
    Unscrew the top, pull the two bottom bolts, remove the whole priming system and dump into your primer flipping tray.

Probably one of the biggest pains on the 550.

Don't feel bad, I have separate lines in my checklist-
    Make sure powder measure bar is closed when starting to adjust.
    Guess why I added that one.

Test the priming system with 10 primers.
    This one was added when I didn't have the primer tube seated all the way.
    I would rather find the issues with only 10 primers to deal with rather than 100.

I should add tp my list make sure primer flip tray is completely on the bench.
    Got to pick up most of 100 primers a few weeks ago when I must have let it sit slightly over the edge of the bench. Then pressed down on it with the pickup tube and flipped it all on to the floor.

My checklist tries to idiot proof the process, but it is still growing.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

How do you safely empty the primer system to switch calibers?
    So much to learn it seems.
    I load he current caliber until I am out of primers, then switch.

When you do switch, this will be a little faster than changing everything.

Don't feel bad, there is going to be a learning curve to anything.

Boolit Master
    There is a learning curve.
    When I started it was daunting to change calibers and especially primer size.
    Now it is just a chance to clean the press, takes maybe 10 minutes if I hurry then my normal checking of all settings, which I do every time I start a session.

Another reason for the checklist, had a crimp die come loose and back out one time, ended up with a batch of ammo that wouldn't chamber until I recrimped it.

Now I also just check everything for tightness when adding primers, nothing fancy just twist each die and powder measure, grab the priming system, check the powder measure arm.
    And blow the press off.

Another little thing that takes only seconds, but helps assure quality.

And I do this before emptying the bin, that way if I find something wrong with the press I know which batch of 100 could be affected.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Banned

here is how I change primer sizes.
    I take one step to the right to go from small pistol to large pistol.
    I take one step to the left to change from small pistol to large rifle.
    I take another step to the left to change from large rifle to small rifle.
    I change primer sizes on the vibra-prime tool by reaching behind the large primer machine and pulling the small primer machine around it.
    see that?
    speed and efficiency.

on changing powder amounts.
    they use right hand threads.
    so righty tighty, lefty loosy.

my random number on changing out the tips is when they don't want to work, so far it's over 70-K rounds on the one machine and still counting I'm well over 20 on two the other one is well over 30-K.

you can get the primers to feed smooth all the way until empty by adding a 454 casull or 45 colt case to the top of the black primer rod. [I put a couple of small washers in the case too]
    the extra weight keeps everything from jostling around and flipping over or sideways.

Boolit Master

WOW! Thank you Jmorris for that Youtube video. I will never change my primer slide bar again. Great time saver!
    Man I love this site, always learning.
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Master

I just thought of something else. Primers popping out onto the floor might be caused by the 'spent primer catcher chute' #13899 hinge pin, #13988. This is the most rinky-dink part on any Dillon press ever. A soft cotter pin (13988) is used as the pivot pin and it is not up to the job. Mine started bending and just got worse every time I straightened it. I replaced it with a very long 4-40 machine screw held by a self locking nylon insert nut. Seems like it took a screw about 1-1/4" long. Since that modification the spent primer catcher chute has worked much more smoothly and has ejected far fewer primers to the floor.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast