Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Amazing things you find at a shooting area! WOW!

I got some .45 LC brass from a CAS shooter and in the hundred I got were 17 44-40s that were fired in a .45 LC. Not dangerous but dumb!
    Best, Thomas.

I know a 308 cartridge will chamber and fire in a 270. Sometimes the 270 will actually survive! My uncle told me of a test rifle (fired remotely) that split its ring and the barrel followed the bullet down range. The barrel apparently was still intact.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    I once asked for a box of 7.62x54R and the clerk tried to hand me a box of 7.62x39mm... I have never trusted any gun shop employee since unless I knew them. This thread tells me that was the right decision.

Boolit Master

My brother walked into gander and asked for 38spl, the sold him 38 super. :/

Boolit Master
    The 8x57 in a .30-06 seems to be common. I have seen it done. The shooter assumed that a mauser action with a military stepped barrel meant that it had to be 8x57 and therefore bought dies and bullets and loaded accordingly. The rifle survived, a testament to the strength of the 98 design.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dthunter View Post
    Last summer I was out at a local area in the bush south of town, where people often go to do some informal shooting. When I arrived, I did my part as a totally obsessed reloader, and collected all the reloadable brass others have so graciously left behind.

After I collected what was there, I had planned on doing my own shooting. While I was picking up some brass, I noticed 9-10 very unusual looking cartridges, all clumped together on the ground. Short necks and an uneven/ oblong circumference. 4 or 5 of the cases had a split along the neck down to about half way to the case head!

When I looked closely, the cases were head stamped 300 savage. The body shape and shoulder location was reminiscent of a 308 Winchester! It always amazes me how people can get their ammo so mixed up! Not too mention that they are certainly not observant in the least! To do this once is dangerous and careless, but 10 times is plain idiotic!!!!! WOW!

Then this last week, I go out to the same area again, and found some MORE of these mutilated gems! This shooting area is fairly large, therefore, for the person who shot these new Cartridge gems in "EXACTLY" the same spot, HAD to be the same person as before! This time they decided to shoot 300 winchester magnum cartridges in a 300 Weatherby chambered rifle! This left 8 or 9 big super short necked, double radius shouldered empties lying around! LMAO!

Fellow shooters, lets be sure to help newer and/or inexperienced shooters to learn the importance of cartridge nomenclature, and the significance of how their safety (and everyone around them) is at stake! I hope this/these fellows didn't damage their firearms or themselves in the process!

I have kept these case as a reminder and a learning tool for my boys and new shooters.

Take care fellow shooters, and be safe!
    OMG what next, firing 300 H&h in 300 weatherby chamber? Oops that's how brass was made
    Charter Member #148

I've seen many .380 acp cases fired from Makarov pistols. It isn't dangerous, but it isn't very accurate, either. It can be very confusing today with all the different cartridges available. As a kid, I remember being very confused by the stampings on the side of a Remington No. 6 rifle: ".22 short, .22 Long, .22 Long Rifle". I'd be willing to bet that most people on this forum don't know the difference between the last two.

Boolit Master
    A couple of years ago I watched a man shoot a whole box of 25/06 factory loaded ammo in a 30/06 rifle. His buddy was watching through a spotting scope and neither of them acted like anything appeared unusual about the target. I thought the rifle report sounded odd, but didn't know what had happened until they left and I picked up their brass. This was a few days before deer season; maybe he hunted with 25/06 ammo.

Boolit Master

I've got a .223 case that was fired in a 7.62x39 AR. Happened at our range by a club member and his new rifle.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

I remember a guy that bought a .17 HMR and a .22LR matching rifles. He says his son went shooting and took the wrong gun and fired a .22lr in the .17 and ruptured the case and stuck the
    Bullet in the throat.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was at a public range and watched as a couple of gangsta-looking fellows struggled with a snub-nosed revolver. They shot up a box of ammo and left, leaving their detritus on the bench. After a bit I got curious and walked over. They had been shooting 32 S&W longs in a 38 special by wrapping the cases with scraps of paper towels. The cases looked like a funnel going down to the case head. Curiously, none of them had split, they had merely ballooned out to reach the walls of the 38 cylinder chambers.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

new fireforming technique.

Boolit Master
    There is no shortage of stupid people, I meet them all the time at the range they are full of "good" advice if you know what I mean. Its a lot better now that I shoot at a club instead of a public range but they still show up more super experts then idiots know.

Boolit Master
    I took some .270 and .25/06 brass and reformed it to 30/06. People freaked when they saw the headstamp. Worse, later I had the rifle rechambered to 30/06 ai. That really had the people scratching their heads...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Waitll ya get it reamed to 300 Gibbs .
    (308 neck and shoulder on an 06')
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    Got to talking to a guy at work. told me his dad had brought a german 8mm rifle home from the war. had some ammo, too, but he couldn't figure out what the big deal was. The rifle wasn't accurate at all. I asked him to show me what they had been shooting. Next day he brought a couple of rounds with military headstamp. They had been shooting 30-06 ammo. When I explained the difference in bullet diameter, you could see the lightbulb turning on.
    No can do!

It's impossible to chamber a 30-06 in a 8x57

Attachment 203552

A 308 yes a 30-06 no.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    The top is a 32 shell probably fired in a 28 gun.
    2 x 44SPL from a 45LC
    God only knows what happened to the steel case 9mm and i'm even scared to think og what happened to the 223

Attachment 203553

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    No can do!

It's impossible to chamber a 30-06 in a 8x57

Attachment 203552

A 308 yes a 30-06 no.
    Remeber.. it just takes a little trimming and forming to turn 30-06 brass into 8x57 brass. Then you have 8x57 cases with 30-06 headstamps to make people scratch their heads.

Boolit Master
    Yup. Sometimes you gotta keep your reformed brass hid, or someone will say " Guess what I saw some idiot at the range do today!"
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

As much effort as I expend making 30, 357 Herrett from 30-30, 6.5X257 from 7X57 and 7.7X58 from 270 and 30-06, I am bound to lose one or two on the range and just think what people say when they find it and try to reload it in the parent configuration.
    219 Donaldson Wasp with that 30-30 headstamp ought to really freak them out!

I think most of what I have found is 300 Winchester that had been fired in 300 Weatherby. Sure does make for a short neck!
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-28-2017 at 11:46 PM. Reason: corrections and additional information
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast