Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Amazing things you find at a shooting area! WOW!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Yes. And we drive on the roads with this level of dough brain every day. Explains a lot.

Remember. Fully half the people you encounter every day are below average IQ.

Not quite, Chill. Lot of them don't have licenses! Or enough money for a car. SSDI is not a good living, especially if you never worked.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Last trip out I found some badly bulged 223's. Got home and put a mic to them, it appears to have been fired in a 7,62x39 judging by the fireformed portion. Good grief.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dthunter View Post
    Last summer I was out at a local area in the bush south of town, where people often go to do some informal shooting. When I arrived, I did my part as a totally obsessed reloader, and collected all the reloadable brass others have so graciously left behind.

After I collected what was there, I had planned on doing my own shooting. While I was picking up some brass, I noticed 9-10 very unusual looking cartridges, all clumped together on the ground. Short necks and an uneven/ oblong circumference. 4 or 5 of the cases had a split along the neck down to about half way to the case head!

When I looked closely, the cases were head stamped 300 savage. The body shape and shoulder location was reminiscent of a 308 Winchester! It always amazes me how people can get their ammo so mixed up! Not too mention that they are certainly not observant in the least! To do this once is dangerous and careless, but 10 times is plain idiotic!!!!! WOW!

Then this last week, I go out to the same area again, and found some MORE of these mutilated gems! This shooting area is fairly large, therefore, for the person who shot these new Cartridge gems in "EXACTLY" the same spot, HAD to be the same person as before! This time they decided to shoot 300 winchester magnum cartridges in a 300 Weatherby chambered rifle! This left 8 or 9 big super short necked, double radius shouldered empties lying around! LMAO!

Fellow shooters, lets be sure to help newer and/or inexperienced shooters to learn the importance of cartridge nomenclature, and the significance of how their safety (and everyone around them) is at stake! I hope this/these fellows didn't damage their firearms or themselves in the process!

I have kept these case as a reminder and a learning tool for my boys and new shooters.

Take care fellow shooters, and be safe!

I blame half of it on the person holding the gun for not knowing what their gun is chambered for, and not knowing what they are buying, and I blame the clerks that sold them the ammo for the other half.

I have heard some outright BS doozies from gun stores when selling people ammo.

Some stories:

Buddy of mine that has just started shooting. He has a 357 mag revolver and a 35 remington levergun.

He went to a very large local pawn shop ( really a gun store that also pawns.. been there decades.. sells tons of guns ).. he asked for ammo for his 357 revolver... they sold him 357SIG and told him it would work fine. ( no returns.. so he sold it at a loss to another shooter in our loose group that actually has a 357 sig.

Next.. same guy goes to gander mountain to get some 35 remington, they try to , or rather, did sell him 35whelen, but he called me before leaving the store and I told him to turn around and return it before he left. Dumb MF'ers at the gun counter.....

A while back I was looking for some 45 auto rim, I needed some more brass to load up and was willing to pay more and drive locally, vs ordering online and waiting a few days, since I had some bench time lined up. Called every gun store in town, found one that said they had it. i get there... and it's 45acp. I even explained on the phone that it was a RIMMED cartridge. " Oh yeah sure, we have alot of it "

I was down at my gunsmith one time and he show me a 22lr case that some one shot in a 22mag rifle.He said that the person went to a gun show and the one that sold him the gun told him it was a 22lr. That is what he wanted and then he got some 22lr and went to shoot them and the case got stuck in the gun and could not get it out .So he brought to the gun smith to get it fix and found out it was a 22mag rifle. that the the guy bought.So even the one that sell guns dose not always know what they are selling.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I've often wondered what kind of moronic things various thugs and gangbangers have done with guns and ammo. Most of 'em don't have the sense to pour p!ss out of a boot, to them they're just guns and bullets - put the bullets in the gun and go be a man.....

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Guys,

I shoot at a local indoor range. They were doing a nightly cleanup about a month ago. They swept up a full box of 50 rounds of 40 cal that were fired in a 45 ACP! Thank the gun gods that the pistol did not blow up! They made a little warning sign up on the cash register with three cases taped to it!

Be safe,
    broom

I once heard a story of one dumb moroon who had a 44 Mag and tried to rob a store with it. He made it about 2 blocks, and was arrested. When they searched him they found the gun and when they check it out each chamber in the revolver had 2 .22lr. in them. When the arresting officer asked ha was told the gun store clerk told hiom it would be OK 'cause 22 + 22 equals 44 and the gun is a 44. Guess some people will believe anything.

Rob

Oh, you need to spend 25 plus years as a range master at a military base rod and gun club range, as a civilian. If a GI can stick a "found" anything, in a chamber, they will shoot it or try to. You ever see what a 353 Freedom Arms will do to an overloaded 357 mag? I had a full Bull Colonel walk up to me on the firing line with a hand full of brass and ask "what is wrong with my brass" he had a hand full of shredded brass, every piece was torn, no, actually ripped in half. If had been anything but that 353, he would have been wearing it. I told Dick he was way over pressure and to get the gun off the line.

Then there was the young, little, skinny, 2nd Lt that the LGS has sold an Encore handgun to, in 30-06 with two boxes of 180gr Remington Corelocks. I saw him and slid right up behind him very quietly. First time he pulled the trigger, he just sat there in stunned shock, then slowly looked left and right, never saw me. Started shaking his right hand and rubbing it. Then he reloaded that monster and did er again. He dropped the gun on the bench and started cussing and rubbing his hand again, I started laughing out loud, he spun around and realized I had been standing there the entire time. Went by the LGS two days later, there it was in the gun case with a box of bullets, two empty rounds in it.

Just one story after another, one repair after another. Amazing.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

An old co-worker is lucky to still be on this earth. He was chasing a drug thug, in N. W. Washington D. C. When he followed the thug around a van the thug was standing there with a .32 cal revolver and pulled the trigger. What saved this co-worker was the fact the thug had .32 acp in the cylinders and the had traveled to the barrel end of the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    I've often wondered what kind of moronic things various thugs and gangbangers have done with guns and ammo. Most of 'em don't have the sense to pour p!ss out of a boot, to them they're just guns and bullets - put the bullets in the gun and go be a man.....
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Not quite, Chill. Lot of them don't have licenses! Or enough money for a car. SSDI is not a good living, especially if you never worked.
    If you've never worked you can't collect SSDI. Maybe SSI but not with the D in it.

Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
    Hi Guys,

I shoot at a local indoor range. They were doing a nightly cleanup about a month ago. They swept up a full box of 50 rounds of 40 cal that were fired in a 45 ACP! Thank the gun gods that the pistol did not blow up! They made a little warning sign up on the cash register with three cases taped to it!

Be safe,
    broom
    No way for the gun to blow up. You can shoot a .223 in a .300 BLK but not the other way. A .300 BLK will chamber in a .223/5.56 firearm. However it will do terrible things to it when fired.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

It amazes me that people never read anything stamped on the firearm. Such as caliber.

Boolit Master
    And I suppose none of you have ever made one of these mistakes yourselves? A friend of mine and I went to the shooting range to fire a couple of antique military rifles and guess what happened? I didn't know a 30-40 Krag round from his rifle would fit right in my 303 British rifle if you happened to pick it up out of the wrong box.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    It amazes me that people never read anything stamped on the firearm. Such as caliber.
    Definitely agree, however, many new gun owners may not understand what they're reading and can be easily misinformed by incompetent salespersons. Just last week, a shooting buddy asked for .38 Supers at a big box store that was having a sale on ammunition (he probably wouldn't darkened their doorway except for the "10% Off"). Weenie behind the counter handed him a box of .380s. Doug pushed back the .380s and explained again that he was looking for .38 Supers. Salesguy went to his computer terminal, punched in a search, then turned to Doug, sliding the .380s back across the counter, and says: "We don't list them as '.38 Super' but these are the same thing." Needless to say, Doug just turned around and walked away.

But, let's say that the customer was a first-time handgun owner who'd gotten lucky and picked up a nice Series 70 Colt for a couple hundred bucks from a neighbor's elderly widow who just "wanted it out of the house." What then? (Could happen; a couple years ago, a widowed friend of my wife's asked me to take a near-mint, 60's-vintage Browning A5 to a 'gun buy-back' and was somewhat overwhelmed when, a week later, I handed her the $800 I got after showing it around at a trap/skeet club meeting...the 'buy-back' would've given her $50)

Another example might be the middle-age lady who showed up a one of our 'new shooter orientations' with a very nice Walther PPK marked "9mm Kurz" and a box of 9x19s some WalMart nitwit had sold her. Yeah, she may have asked for the wrong item but, somehow, I seriously doubt it.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    And I suppose none of you have ever made one of these mistakes yourselves? A friend of mine and I went to the shooting range to fire a couple of antique military rifles and guess what happened? I didn't know a 30-40 Krag round from his rifle would fit right in my 303 British rifle if you happened to pick it up out of the wrong box.
    I've never done it.

I'm always careful to not have similar ammo out at the same time.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

Believe the 30-40 would just firer form to 303 british .

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The 303 in the 30-40 is about .1 short the 30-40 might be ok in the 303 but that other 1/10 would sure fill up the throat .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

In Remembrance

Several years back I was in a `Big Box` store with a sporting goods dept. I styruck a conversation with a young man that had 2 boxes of 7 MM Mauser ammo on the counter. I asked what model of surplus Mauser he would be shooting them in? He replied that the `clerk` advised him on this ammo for antelope hunting. Again I asked about the Mauser and getting a bit nervous about his answers. He said he had just got his 700 Remington 2 weeks before and would be heading to Wyoming `goat` hunting with it. Turns out he had a 7 Rem. Mag. and the `clerk` had told him the Mauser ammo was just what he wanted. I convinced the young man to not buy the Mauser ammo and to go to a reputable gun shop where he wouldn`t be steered into the wrong ammo.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    When I was working at a rifle range every once and a while I would find a 223 casing fireformed to a 7.62*39 chamber. It always gave me the chills.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    And I suppose none of you have ever made one of these mistakes yourselves?
    It happens and can happen very easily, my son has managed it twice with my 22mag. Probably easier to do with sako quad than most as it has interchangeable 17HM2, 17HMR, 22lr and 22WMR barrels. Often we will shoot more than one barrel the same day.
    1st time somehow a 17HMR V-max round had been placed into a open box of V-max 22 mag ammo. Head stamp is identical when you look at them in the box and he tipped 5 into his hand and loaded the magazine without even looking. 3 shot went pop and he knew something wasn't right, problem was pretty obvious when the case was ejected, split and torn neck with the shoulder still visible.
    2nd time we had switched from shooting the 22lr to 22mag and a loaded 22lr mag was still sitting out, guess what got inserted and fired?
    Once again pretty obvious something wasn't right.

I did hear a story of a new shooter purchasing a 17HMR that displayed woeful accuracy that was returned to the store only to be realised it was in fact a 22mag.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by acoop101 View Post
    When I was working at a rifle range every once and a while I would find a 223 casing fireformed to a 7.62*39 chamber. It always gave me the chills.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Why?

It's a lot safer than a .300 BLK in a .223
    Semper Fi!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast