StainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Graf & SonsTitan ReloadingADvertise here

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Amazing things you find at a shooting area! WOW!

Boolit Master
    I once came across a guy trying to beat the bolt of an SKS closed. He was using what looked like 7.62x54r ammo! I tried explaining that his SKS was chambered for the 7.62x39. He just couldn’t understand how a few numbers mattered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

Amazing things you find at a shooting area! WOW!

I didn’t witness it, but a shooter at a cowboy action match ran 10rds of black powder 44-40s through a borrowed 45colt lever action. Amazingly he still shot the stage clean.

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 10-31-2017 at 11:15 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Man
    I know a guy that shot a 308 in a 270 I believe It was. It went off clear the barrel. And no damage to the gun. Scare part is he did it twice!!!

Boolit Master

I have been finding old .45 brass at the range. 41 and 42. Copper primer. I clean them and load them.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by woody402 View Post
    I know a guy that shot a 308 in a 270 I believe It was. It went off clear the barrel. And no damage to the gun. Scare part is he did it twice!!!
    I'd like to know what kind of rifle that was!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I was sitting at the bench next to a guy that fired 8mm military ball in his Interarms MKX 30-06. It took a few good whacks to open the bolt, no harm done that could be found by his/ my gunsmith. This was 1988 and this guy was a well known and respected stock maker in Kalispell, I miss him.

That gunsmith had given Mel 40-50 rounds of 06 ball to shoot up, there were a couple 8mm mixed in, yikes!
    Hell, I was there!

Boolit Master

At a military facility that shall remain nameless, a test was being conducted that involved acoustic recording of various rifles. Among those being fired that day were a Bulgarian PSL in 7.62X54R and a Winchester M70 in .308. Understand that the people involved are supposed to be professionals, job title 'Gunner.'

At some point, a 7.62X54R cartridge was inserted into the Winchester M70's chamber. When the bolt wouldn't close easily, said Gunner tried to force it closed. Repeatedly. When someone realized what had happened, they tried repeatedly to remove the X54R cartridge, which was now firmly wedged into the chamber. Various objects were used to try to tap the cartridge out, to no avail.

When the rifles were returned to me, I also attempted to remove the X54R cartridge but I was smart enough to admit defeat early on. Ultimately, we had to send the rifle to a local gunsmith who pulled the barrel, and was able to remove the offending cartridge. I didn't have the opportunity to ask him how he removed it.

Now I was always taught that when you're shooting multiple guns in different calibers, you only have one gun, and the corresponding ammo, on the bench at any given time. This pretty well eliminates mishaps of this type. But obviously, I'm not a professional Gunner.
    'I have a feeling we're not in Kansas any more, Toto!' Dorothy, in The Wizard of Oz.

When he started forcing the bolt, that's when things got stupid...can't fix that!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Now I was always taught that when you're shooting multiple guns in different calibers, you only have one gun, and the corresponding ammo, on the bench at any given time. This pretty well eliminates mishaps of this type. But obviously, I'm not a professional Gunner.
    Several years ago we had an incident at a local range where a shooter had two identical Remington 700 rifles, one in .308 Winchester and one in 7mm Rem Mag. He was shooting reloads that were stored in two identical MTM style green ammo boxes. (You can see what's coming I'm sure.) He would fire a 5 shot group with one rifle and then switch to the other allowing the first rifle to cool. After firing a shot out of one of the rifles he woke up on the ground behind the shooting bench, his arms riddled with splinters of stock wood and the barreled action behind him on the ground. When he switched to the 7mm Rem Mag he accidentally chambered and fired a round of .308 Winchester by mistake. The extractor must have caught the rim and held it against the bolt face since the firing pin struck the primer and fired the undersized case and sent the much oversized bullet through the 7mm bore. The action held and the bolt remained shut (good for him!), but the hot gas from the ruptured case destroyed the stock and turned it into wooden shrapnel. He needed a trip to hospital to extract all the stock wood fragments, but he survived the experience. He was darn lucky ... if it wasn't such a strong action like the 700 Remington it could have been much, much worse.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Many years ago i sold my 8mm Mauser so that I'd never run one through my 30-06's by accident. Plus the Mauser wasn't nearly as nice as the 1903a3.

Boolit Master

A guy that used to work for me once fired a .308 round through his .270 at a deer. Deer died and the rifle (Rem 700) somehow held together.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    I didn’t witness it, but a shooter at a cowboy action match ran 10rds of black powder 44-40s through a borrowed 45colt lever action. Amazingly he still shot the stage clean.

I've seen some of those "Long-range" stages at some SASS Shoots. Those 44 caliber bullets tumbling end over end would probably still hit at 25 yards.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456