Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Amazing things you find at a shooting area! WOW!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    Why?

It's a lot safer than a .300 BLK in a .223
    While that is true, it just scared me that people don't pay attention. The biggest thing was that when we found them we usually found five or 10 of them at a time.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    The 303 in the 30-40 is about .1 short the 30-40 might be ok in the 303 but that other 1/10 would sure fill up the throat .
    You are right. I just meant to say if the person shooting the 303 British put a 30-40 krag in by mistake I do not think he would be able to tell the difference.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I knew that but many may not . I wouldn't have known if I hadn't had a couple show up in a bunch of 303 I was making brass 410 from .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine at our club shoots and reloads for his 300 WSSM so if I find any brass I give it to him. He got lucky last year when I gave him a full box of factory ammo. A new shooter had come out that day to try his new 300 Win Mag and that was the ammo the clerk at a well known sporting goods chain had sold him when he bought the rifle. He couldn't return it and gave it to me for my friend. Had a guy last year complaining of misfires in his 38 snubby, then he got a rim under the extractor. When I went to help him discovered he was shooting 38 Super instead of 38 special, a really hot load for a old revolver. Some people's guardian angels are working REALLY hard.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tdoor4570 View Post
    Question how did they get the bolt to close there is a lot of difference between 30-06 and 8x57 mauser like 6mm difference
    My guess it was converted to 8mm-06 which was popular years ago on surplus mausers. A 30-06 would likely fire in an 8mm-06 but i would guess accuracy would be terrible

Boolit Buddy
    Friend of mine owns a Rossi. 454 Casull M92 also has an old Colt .45LC revolver guess what the .454 ammo fits in the revolver, luckily he knew what would happen and didn't pull the trigger.
    Last edited by ravelode; 05-02-2017 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Master

Believe it or not the magazine from a Stoeger Cougar 9mmP fits perfectly into a Stoeger Cougar 40S&W. The different sound when the trigger is pulled and the dust puff about 10 yards out makes you wonder what happened.

Made me pay more attention real quick.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Not found at the range, but as a young man a friend showed me a few 410 3 inch shells that were split down the side to the rim .
    He new I was into rifle and shotguns so asked me what might be causing this. When I asked what type of shotgun he was firing these in, you will not believe his answer. He was firing them in a sawed off trap door springfield, that his Uncle had cut down both barrel and stock to make a pistol . I could not convince him to stop with the practice. Said it was the best rabbit gun he ever had.

Boolit Master

Among other interesting range pickups, I have 20 300 Win Mag cases fireformed in a Weatherby chamber.
    Neck is really short on those.

Going through my 44 mag brass one day there was one odd swollen case . . .
    Some idiot had shot a 41 mag in a 44 Mag.
    Wait that was brass from the ammo I was shooting that afternoon . . .
    I had not had a 41 Mag for years, but apparently still had one loaded round.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I pulled into one of the ranges at my club once and found 18 empty M1 Garand enbloc clips that someone had placed on the bench for somebody to glom onto. I was tickled! Thankyouverymuch!

I used to make the rounds of unused gravel pits and pick up brass. I found a fired 30-30 case that had the front half fire formed in what I believe was a 45-70. Got a bunch of comments when I left it on the sign in table at our IHMSA range.
    Elmo

My horror story; finding 8mm brass at the rifle range that had been fired in a 30-06.

I took those empties inside to the ammo counter and explained to them that they really needed to pay attention to what they sold their customers.

Boolit Master
    We should probably admit, it can get pretty confusing when it comes to ammo anymore. How many boxes of ammo can you see on a shelf that all start with 300? A dozen easy. And we should probably admit there are alot of people in gun shops who should not be. I know I have seen people ask for something specific to get something else handed to them. My ex sold a 9mm thru a former cop she knew, whoever was buying it wanted to test it. Well 9mm Makarov is technically 9mm, they could not figure out why it didn't work. Sometimes its just having to much ammo on a table. Went skeet shooting with some people, one guy could not get the 16ga I was using to work in his 12ga. He was also the same guy who grabbed some of my neck sized 300win mag and got it jammed in his rifle.

Boolit Master
    I was at the local range one day, and a nice oung man took the bench next to me. He had an AR-15 that he had gotten for a "real good price" at a gun show. He loaded it up, and started adjusting his scope...by turning it and moving it back and forth in the rings! I suggested he might want to tighten them up a bit, but no...and on his forst shot, it went full auto for 3 rounds! That got everybody's attention! I suggested he needed to take it to a gunsmith, and have it checked out...but, again, he didn't want to hear it. I left soon after that!

Boolit Master

300 blk in a .223 yep. Friend had one given to him at a training thing he does. He said everything was stretched. After some time he was able to remove the bolt head of the ar and discover this.

Boolit Mold
    Very interesting thread. Back in the '60's as a kid, I watched people shoot .308 Win. in brought home 7.7 Jap rifles... I actually saw it, not at shooting ranges but at clay pits and other informal shooting areas... and I've never forgotten that. Have no idea what the pressure difference between the two rounds is but some of those late-war rifles had to be pretty poorly constructed at best. Never heard of any problems.. but... Ben.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_51004 View Post
    Very interesting thread. Back in the '60's as a kid, I watched people shoot .308 Win. in brought home 7.7 Jap rifles... I actually saw it, not at shooting ranges but at clay pits and other informal shooting areas... and I've never forgotten that. Have no idea what the pressure difference between the two rounds is but some of those late-war rifles had to be pretty poorly constructed at best. Never heard of any problems.. but... Ben.
    I'm going to go with pretty low pressures from a 308 in a 7.7 .
    The 7.7 is a 57 sister vs the 308 at 51 mm the bore off set of 312 vs 308 bullet doesn't hurt anything either .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    My horror story; finding 8mm brass at the rifle range that had been fired in a 30-06.

I took those empties inside to the ammo counter and explained to them that they really needed to pay attention to what they sold their customers.
    I was at the gunsmiths when a M98 that was chambered in 30-06 came in for a stuck bolt, the dealer sold the guy that bought the gun some 8X57 shells. The first shot and the bolt was stuck closed, he beat it open and fired another round. the bolt stuck so bad that he couldn't beat it open. The gunsmith got it open, the case head was melted and you could see the path that the melted brass took as it left the gun. Right out the slot on the side of the receiver. The gun was destroyed, bottom metal was bent, the stock broken, and a chip off of one locking lugs.

In Remembrance

Just the other day my buddy brought me some range-pickup (swollen) PPU .44 Mag brass he'd found on the firing line...........that had been fired along with some FC .45 Colt brass........I guess in the same gun. No records of anyone with hand damage being admitted to 'Emergency', so I guess they got away with it.........this time. "Here Bud, try mine!"
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master

I've seen some darn scarry things by people that called themselves gunsmiths. I was at a show with a buddy I was looking for some .452 cast lead in a different profile than I mold, you know, grab a small pack, see how they run, etc. I had just gotten so.e .452 when my non reload buddy asked me what a .452 would ' go in'. I pointed to a 45 acp on a table we were passing. The 'hunsmith' running the table had a cow.. " that's .450 ". Thinking he misheard something, I explained I was telling my buddy that you'd use .451 jacketed bullets, or .452 cast for instance. He got more beligerant started beating his chest how long he had been a gunsmith and that it used .450. I loudly informed every one in the isle to avoid the table as the seller had no clue what he was doing. Boy that made him mad

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast