RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Amazing things you find at a shooting area! WOW!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    I think most of what I have found is 300 Winchester in 300 Weatherby. Sure makes for a short neck!
    I'll take those, if you find enough to be worth shipping. They ought to make perfectly good .350 Remington cases.

Plus, I think they're probably once fired ... !

Boolit Master

A good friend bought a Mosin Nagant and it came with a bag-o-bullets, took it to the range and first round (lucky he only loaded one round) fired but stuck so bad he couldn't work the bolt. I started looking at the ammo and some were steel case and some brass, pulled the brass ones out and they were head stamped 30-30 and the bullets where crooked in the case. The length was wrong and the cannelure was showing and they were crimped so tight that the cases were buckled. He called the previous owner and was told "it's all the same and good ammo I made it myself"! OK, The bolt stuck because the chamber was fouled from I think corrosive ammo.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    RE:22short long long rifle.The 22 long is nothing more than the 22 short bullet and powder chg in a long rifle case.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

While I didn't make the find.....very eerie! Many years ago ( around '84,I think), I was doing some Sunday shooting on a river bank where others did some shooting. As we were leaving I observed a new pick-up truck parked nearby, Louisiana summer day...occupant just sitting with windows down ( hot/humid). Several days later, two decomposing bodies were found just downriver from where I was shooting. Time of death, estimated to be Sunday night! The pick-up I saw belonged to one of the victims. Suspected drug related killing! memtb

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    And I suppose none of you have ever made one of these mistakes yourselves?
    It might happen to me tomorrow, but not once in the 40+ years I've been shooting anything larger than a BB gun. No. I have not.

Boolit Master

I'm embarrassed to say I once accidentally fired a magazine full of .380 in a 9mm Makarov. I had foolishly brought along two different bags of ammo, one .380 and one 9Mak, with similar cast bullets. No harm done but I sure felt stupid. I'm normally quite careful.

On the subject of mixing cartridges, that's why I hunt with a .458 Win Mag. It's the most versatile gun because you can shoot any belted round in it, from .264 to .458 and everything in between.

(Just kidding of course. I don't own one and don't even hunt.)

Boolit Master

I have a .458 lott, and shoot .458 winmags in it as 'shorts'

Boolit Master
    The wife and I were shooting together a while back when she said I think I broke my gun , when she worked the slide a 9mm complete cartridge would fall out the end of the barrel . At first I mind fumbled how did that happen , but realized she had picked up my 45 and put her mag in it , we both have Springfield 1911s but one is 9 and the other a 45 so things can happen . Be safe

Boolit Master
    I had a new one today scrounging for range brass. Found a few .270 Win cases by a bench, and find the rest in a factory Winchester Super-X box unfired in the trash can. Who shoots 3 rounds and throws the rest of the box away?
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Master

Did the case mouths look like they were opened up to 30 cal?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Did the case mouths look like they were opened up to 30 cal?
    No, still .270 size.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Master

older box? might have pressure issues from poor storage.

Or the shooter didn't like the recoil and doesn't reload.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Years ago I was at the local range, guy walks up with a 45-70 lever gun; Hmm interesting I think.

Then he takes his ammo out; I left the area.

The first round of his 45-70 brass was accordioned, case probably an inch short, and I suspect they were full house loads; I decided "Discretion is the better part of valor"... He seemed the "Eh what could go wrong? Here, hold my beer." sort...

Boolit Master

Might have been compressed black powder loads.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    It was many years ago, up in the mountains surrounding the S.F. Bay Area, where a guy could still shoot once in awhile. I was popping off rounds from an M1 carbine and noticed a younger guy shooting one of those cheap, Thompson sub gun look alikes. You know the type.......die cast receiver looking something like a 1928 Thompson, with a ridiculously long barrel. Anyway, this guy pops off a couple, stops shooting and hoses down the chamber with a handy can of WD40. He then fires again and repeats the performance. In the 30 rounds he fired, he must have used that oil at least five times.

I finally walked over and asked what he was doing. "Oh" he said, "This gun's brand new and has some feeding problems. I'm just oiling it until it breaks in......." I asked to see the weapon and immediately saw a step between the chamber and magazine top, a manufacturing defect. Every round had to jump over that step to chamber. I informed the young nimrod of the real problem and he thanked me for my trouble. Then he proceeded to shoot more WD40 down the bore and shoot a few more rounds.

What really scared me is that he had car keys. People like that shouldn't drive, let alone have a gun.

Boolit Master
    This isn't about mismatched ammo, but scary incompetence all the same. About thirty years ago, an acquaintance showed me a fine new acquisition he had attained, a very nice (long) WW1 Mauser, roller coaster sight and all, almost not a mark on it. I checked it out for him and it was sound and in excellent condition. He said I'd never believe where he got it. Tell me, sez I. From one of the fellows who picked up his trash. It seems an elderly veteran neighbor some miles down the road passed away and the kids came to his house to help his wife sort through his belongings. In the process, they came across all his wartime accoutrement, uniform, medals, photos, etc., including the Mauser. Apparently, the kids and his widow divvied up what he had, but no one wanted or knew anything about guns, and the trash man found it sticking out of the trash can on the curb along with a good bit of WW1 memorabilia in there. The trash guy took it back up to the house to ask them if they knew what they were doing, but they couldn't relate and had no appreciation for what they had and made it plain it wasn't wanted. He didn't shoot, but he took it with him and traded it to the fellow I knew. I think a chapter of history died with that veteran that will now never be known, but at least the rifle remains and is in good hands.

Boolit Master

went to the local range the other day just to scrounge lead and found the city pd was using one side so being the half way polite fellow that I am asked if I could use the other range, was told in no uncertain terms that they were using both ranges and I needed to move along. this was complete BS as they were not members but rather guests that we allowed to use the range and any member could tell them to take a hike. well long story short I left and returned the next morning because it really did not mater when I got my range scrap and of course I check all the barrels for brass and whatever other good stuff I can find, well in the trash barrel where the PD was shooting I found 4 sets of body armor, 2 had been shot to heck and 2 looked worn but could find no evidence of any damage so those went home with me.

Boolit Grand Master

...well in the trash barrel where the PD was shooting I found 4 sets of body armor, 2 had been shot to heck and 2 looked worn but could find no evidence of any damage so those went home with me. -rancher1913

Modern soft body armor has an expiration date, most departments will not use it after that date. After that it's only good for ammo testing or goofing around as far as they're concerned.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Yah knew that, I was a LEO for 15 years. Still good for the end of the world shtf and it was free

Boolit Master

Agreed. If nothing else it should stop some shrapnel.

When I do point blank range ( 4' ) testing of ballistic gelatin blocks, ( from a sitting position at a rest ) ill wear a IIIA vest, and have another IIIA vest laying in my lap to cover the boys, just in case something kicks back ( backstop material, shed jackets, bone - for when I do rib shoot thru testing, etc.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast