RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: Revolver value

Boolit Master

Revolver value

Howdy, a friends son has a blued, 6" Taurus Tracker in 44 mag. Now Taurus stuff isn't my cup of tea, but he asked me to try and determine what he should expect to get out of it should he trade or sell. I gave it a once over, and other than a light turn ring, and a few minor handling marks, it's in excellent shape. It's a ported model, and 2006 production. I tried Gunbroker to get a handle on it, but the majority for sale were new. I appreciate if anyone has a clue what used specimens seem to be bringing. Thanks in advance.

Well a 629 S&W goes for about $600-700 used in top shape, a good rule of thumb on Taurus is
    about 50% of the S&W, so I would say $300-350. They just don't have the resale value of a
    US made revolver. Taurus has the reputation that people either love them or hate them.

Moderator Emeritus

as Drm50 stated, Taurus revolvers don't hold their value.
    While he priced it at half of S&W, I wouldn't be as charitable, I'd say half of current Taurus retail.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/TAURU...RS/2047320.uts
    $599 at Cabelas, probably goes on sale for $50 or $100 less...If I were selling it on my gunshow table, I'd start at $250 for your friend's gun. Trade value at a retail gun store, even less.

If that wasn't bad enough, Taurus revolvers have a bad reputation...which seems like it's earned. Some work great right out of the box, but some have issues from poor manufacturing, enough where I'd rather buy a used gun from someone that has used it and had good luck shooting it, rather than buying new. Now a used one, that looks like, would scare me, figuring the reason the original buyer didn't use it much, may have been due to a problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I bought a 2012 production Tracker for $350 about 6 weeks ago, mine is stainless steel.

Boolit Master
    So far about what I expected I told him he was in over his head on this one, and that seems to be the consensus. I haven't had the best of luck with the brand, it's too bad, as I kinda like the feel of the smaller frame and 5 shot cylinder. This one seems ok, timing is good, and the trigger is good in both modes. It would likely serve someone well with milder loads,but I expect a lot of full power stuff wouldn't do it any favors.

Boolit Master

I've got a son with a 2.5" barrel model. It is ported but still a serious handful with full power 44 magnums.