Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Resizing the 9mm??

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitespider View Post
    There ain't really a "brass" forum so I'm posting where I'm comfortable.
    My son has decided he wants to reload for his 9mm Luger, and purchased a Lee carbide 4-die set.
    The effort to full-length resize the brass is more than any other pistol/revolver brass I've ever done (with a carbide die)... a lot more. On a handful of them I actually displaced brass and created a sharp ridge where the case stopped entering the die.
    Is this normal with the 9mm?? Or should I be lookin' at a die problem??
    I never thought about it, but I have a .38 ACP carbide resizing die I could have tried... but all the empty brass is resized now.
    I've never experienced that with 9mm, whether lubed or not. I would look at cleaning the brass thoroughly (if you haven't already) and cleaning the die thoroughly (if you haven't already). If that doesn't help, the die could possibly be undersized. Don't get me wrong about Lee, I like a lot of their stuff, but I know them as a company, and I've had a few items from them were slightly out of spec (undersized boolit sizer die, out of spec turret head for LCT press, borderline undersized boolit mold to name the prominent ones), so it's worth considering that the die might be undersized or slightly out of spec.

Also, inspect the die and ensure it actually has the carbide insert ring. This is actually the sort of behavior I'd expect from a non-carbide die if running without lube.

It's also possible the chamber the brass was fired was significantly oversize. Without an unsized piece of brass, however, there's nothing to measure to confirm that.

Boolit Bub
    I have ran into a few 100 9mm case of range brass that my lee sizing die would leave a step and be galded at the base but i could run it in my rcbs die and it would fix them and after fighting stuck case's i lube all my brass

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "... tumbling live rounds can break down powder cornels and powder coatings and change the burning rate of you powder and if your using conventionaly lubed bullets your impregnating dirt and dust into your lead bullets..."

Wrong
    Wrong
    Wrong
    So much fail
    I'm no great expert but I know for a fact that a commercial ammunition sales company throws all the freshly loaded cartridges in a cement mixer for 45 min with fine corn media to remove any lubing and polish the cases. I also heard not to put loaded rounds into a vibratory tumbler for the reasons mentioned above, but never heard any mention to rotary dry media cleaners.

As to fired 9mm brass size, my 9mm Llama slugs out at 358+ and the brass is significantly larger than out of my other nines.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234