Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: New to powder coating

Boolit Man

New to powder coating

I just picked up some sample packs of colors from smoke and got a toaster oven. I picked up enough of the ziplock s round containers to have one for each powder for storage and one for actually coating the boolits. I have a few questions about the process. I plan on coating at least a few thousand at a time, do I use BB's while shaking, then stand them up to bake? Or do I not use BB's and dump them into a wire mesh container and bake them? Or do I use BB's and still dump them on mesh and bake? I am focusing on 9mm right now as that is what I mostly shoot. I'm not looking for extreme accuracy, although I do shoot USPSA sometimes during the summer. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    All the ways you listed will work the shake dump and bake is the fastest way. Pick whichever one you like.

Boolit Master

start with small batches and give each one a try. I've modified my method several times and will continue to keep my eye on new ideas.
    Some were real dogs and some were worth the effort

and remember PC is as much an art as science
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned

I shake with BB's, pour into a metal pan to sift the bb's out, then stand all of mine up.
    one tray will hold about 500 boolits and the other about 400 boolits.
    that's about all the oven will handle too.
    I use nitrile gloves to stand them up with.

after a time or two you can eyeball the amount of boolits and powder for the cup size and amount of BB's you have so you don't have a bunch of powder left over each time.

Boolit Master

don't forget the parchment paper or non-stick foil

Boolit Master

When I do large batches of pistol boolits I empty the media from my UltraVibe tumble and use it to shake. I have some smaller containers that fit in the tumbler. I insert 4 containers at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. I pack rags in the spaces. I let the tumbler run for about 5 min and then stop and change containers. While the second set is shaking I set the boolits on a NSF lined cookie sheet.
    Using Smokes powder and BBs I get an excellent coating and can turn them out quickly.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Banned
    If you haven't used it yet, return the toaster oven and get a convection oven -- better heat distribution + better result and the ability to do larger batches. Whatever oven you get you will need to test it with an oven thermometer set in the middle of the shelf you will bake on, adjust the ovens temp until the thermometer reads 400.

Boolit Man
    I will scour this site a little more and find all the different ways to PC, except for with a spray gun, I don't have one. I'll give each different method a trial run with small batches and see what I like best. I bought a small black and decker convection oven from Wally World and will probably return it tomorrow, there was a larger one there for $20 more I wish I would have bought instead.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkonopka View Post
    I will scour this site a little more and find all the different ways to PC, except for with a spray gun, I don't have one. I'll give each different method a trial run with small batches and see what I like best. I bought a small black and decker convection oven from Wally World and will probably return it tomorrow, there was a larger one there for $20 more I wish I would have bought instead.
    Scour this...(2)...The Devil's in the Details>>>>>PC Coatings<<<<< all the info is there.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Man
    This is my very first try at powder coating. I cleaned the lube off some commercially cast boolits with laquer thinner and simple green, it worked great except I think I needed to rinse them off with water after. I tried ASBBDT with smokes traffic orange. No matter how long I shook the container I could not get full coverage on the first coat. I decided to bake it anyway to see how it looked, they came out decent but a little splotchy with the coverage. I stuck them back in the container and shook them again, I noticed a BIG difference this time. I only had to shake for about 20 seconds and they were fully covered in powder. I baked them for another 10 minutes and they turned out really good. Here's the final product. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3058.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	194223

Excellent!! Now size them, load them and shoot them and repeat.

No matter how I cleaned my pre lubed bullets, they took 2 coats to cover fully when powder coated.