Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Brown crusty residue in the bottom of pan lube

Boolit Buddy

Brown crusty residue in the bottom of pan lube

So I ised to pan lube. I used a pie tin to mix and lube. It consisted of paraffin beeswax and Vaseline all equal parts by weight. I never had an issue always worked. I didn't use a double boiler. Just set it on my stove and ran on the lowest flame I could keep going which took about 35 minutes to turn everything into a
    liquid from room temperature. Then I got a lube sizer and decided to add some alox to the mix. Just a teaspoon to a 2/3 full pie tin. Which I think was about 24oz of material. It took a lot of stirring and time to reduce the alox into the mix. I did it twice thinking I had it and when I lifted the cake out all the alox was in a ball in the bottom center of the pan. So third times good luck or charm or something like that right? Well it looks like it took more into the lube but I just lifted the cake out lastnight and noticed a brown coating that I or Finally thought could've been rust as this was sitting in my reloading room for a few months before I got back around to it. So I went to clean the pan out and it's wiping out like grease or possibly beeswax? I'm thinking its either the alox or beeswax. I don't know which and I don't know why. But the bottom of my cake has a light coating of it that's about 1/10th of the total thickness of the cake.
    Where did I go wrong? I wasn't having much luck getting everything to
    mix very evenly. I'm hoping I didn't ruin this pan of lube. Beeswax is expensive and I only have a pound left. I can get pictures later tonight if that's helpful.

Banned

you have saturated the waxes they can't hold no mo stuff.