Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of Colt "Army Special" 32-20 SN 324XXX

Value of Colt "Army Special" 32-20 SN 324XXX

Have an opportunity to buy one of these fairly cheap along with a couple of other lever guns. I know condition is everything, but what are these things worth?

I think more details would help you....I've seen them from $300 to $2,000, depending on year, condition, etc. Most seem to be in the $300-$500 range, in fair 'shooter' condition, but I'm no expert on them.......
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Won't even guess without detailed pics. I own 2 of them; a "fine" one and a really nice shooter. Post pics......

Boolit Grand Master

Last one I got was from Cabela's gun library for $300 in about 60% blue with tight action and clean barrel. This would be 3 years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    Unfortunately, the Colt Army Special is one of those revolvers that do not grew in price. The only ones that gain in value are special order variations such as special order barrel lengths. I picked up one that was in 38 Special for $275 in 100% condition. Unfortunately, it does not have the box. The gun shop failed to measure the barrel length and it was a 3" barrel which is not a standard barrel length. That would make it a special order gun. I am guess-a-mating it worth about between $750 to $900. I can only imagine what the gunshop paid for the revolver when they bought it. Since it is a special order gun, one of these days I will have to check the Colt records to see who ordered the gun.

--fjruple

--

I thought the Army Special was in .38 LC- not .38 Special. You can tell by looking in the chambers- no case mouth stops in the LC.
    Best, Thomas.

Army Special was introduced in 1907/08. Replaced the New Army/Navy that had discontinued Long Colt in 1905; all were chambered in 38 Special from then on.
    On the 32-20, 3".......are you sure it is not a shortened barrel and not a special order?? The only way to tell is to letter it thru Colt historical records or by physically examining the barrel. If it is shortened the marking will be out of place/position and obvious to even the most casual observer....

Attachment 194003Attachment 194004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Apr 25, 3 43 10 PM.jpg 
Views:	2773 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	194005

I'm sure of nothing, but here are some photos. It locks up very tight and is in pretty good shape.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I think it is like many of the vintage guns - it all depends on your region as far as what they are going for. I purchased my Army Special - 6" - 38 Special - made in 1910 - about 95% with original grips for $350 and that was a few years back. At the time, that's pretty much what they were going for - $300 - $350 depending on condition, whether original grips, etc.

Mine is a great shooter - I bought mine as they came out in 1908 - same year my Dad was born and the name was switched to "Official Police" in 1927 - same year my Dad graduated from High School.

I have looked for a 32-20 but the ones I've run across have either been in less than desirable shape or over priced. I would imagine that value would still depend on your area and on condition - and unless you reload, I would think the 38 Special version would be more desirable due to the easy availability of ammo off the shelf. For someone who can reload the 32-20, I'm thinking one would be a lot of fun! If the price were reasonable, I'd snatch one up even if it had wear as long as it was in good mechanical shape - but then I'm wanting a 32-20!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    huntrick64 - I just checked Proof House and serial number of 324xxx puts it as a mfg. date of 1910 - same as the one I have pictured above. Mine has a serial number of 318XXX. Grips on the one you show in photos are original.

I agree, I buy and trade a lot of revolvers. The Colts in 38 Colt have to be collector grade to be
    worth much. $300 will by you a good shooter. The 32/20 is a different story. I think it is not a
    regonal thing. The 32/20 has become very popular in Colt and S&W revolvers. With Colts I have
    run into the same thing, bad condition or to high priced. The last 32/20 I bought was a S&W,
    very nice shape $350 and I was happy to get it. I want a high grade shooter with 6" barrel and
    adjustable sights, very hard to find at a reasonable price. I have several 32/20 rifles and revolvers. You can do a lot of shooting on the cheap if you cast your own bullets. Cheaper than
    some 22s. Low noise, no recoil, and accurate cartridge out of a good barrel.Attachment 194050

Your 3" 32-20 is actually a 4 or 4 1/2". Barrel length is measured from the front of the cylinder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    huntrick64 - I just checked Proof House and serial number of 324xxx puts it as a mfg. date of 1910 - same as the one I have pictured above. Mine has a serial number of 318XXX. Grips on the one you show in photos are original.
    Yes its hard to find one with grips that are not crack or broke. Wood grip came out some time in the 1920s because mine has them. I can remenber seeing one in 41 Colt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fjruple View Post
    Unfortunately, the Colt Army Special is one of those revolvers that do not grew in price. The only ones that gain in value are special order variations such as special order barrel lengths. I picked up one that was in 38 Special for $275 in 100% condition. Unfortunately, it does not have the box. The gun shop failed to measure the barrel length and it was a 3" barrel which is not a standard barrel length. That would make it a special order gun. I am guess-a-mating it worth about between $750 to $900. I can only imagine what the gunshop paid for the revolver when they bought it. Since it is a special order gun, one of these days I will have to check the Colt records to see who ordered the gun.

--fjruple

--
    The one I purchased was made in 1922 and is in 38 Special. The barrel was definitely not shorten to 3 inches. The gun has no wear on it and is about 100% and was not restored. One of these days I will have to get a Colt letter on the gun probably sooner then later as they are always seem to be in Bankruptcy.

--fjruple

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought a 1920 Colt Army Special x 5" in 32/20 WCF about 3 years ago for $700, condition is close to 100%. Seemed fair at the time, and still does. NOT FOR SALE.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Bedbugbilly - I sent you a PM

I believe the tables have turned on caliber desirability with respects to the army special. I have 3 army specials in 38 special (4.5", 5" nickel and 6"). I then added a 5" 32-20 for less than $300 shipped but it needed some minor adjustment and it was about 50% blue/50% brown. So, now I have been trying to add a 41 Colt and heck, at 1:00 today, a gun I put a $300 bid on went for over 700 and it had someone's SS number scratched into the sideplate. A nice 32-20 or 41 Colt army special will sell for more than the more common 38 special. I guess other collectors are taking notice of a moderate priced Colt. In my opinion, the 38 special has the most flexibility of them all. You can load a 200 grain bullet in the 38 special to simulate the 41 Colt. And of course you can load light fast bullets in 38 special to simulate 32-20.

Worn shooter army special in 38-$300, 80-90% bluing-$400 and 95%-$500. About 200,000 made from 1908-27.

Boolit Grand Master
    38 Special is just an awesome, flexible, uber-useful chambering. 32/20 can be a bit cranky, but I have gotten good service from my 3 revolvers and 1 rifle so chambered. I have some patience for boutique calibers, but a 41 Colt exceeds those limits by some distance. I have seen one example in this caliber for sale, a 1900+/- vintage Colt single action x 4-3/4". The asking price was tied to its birth year--$1900, 15 years ago. My remarks to the seller were that 'I may have been born at night--but not LAST NIGHT.'
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I guess I am getting ready to find out what this is really worth. I just put it on S&S.

It's all condition, condition, condition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast