Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: reforming 9.3 x 62 from 30/06

Boolit Buddy

reforming 9.3 x 62 from 30/06

Folks,
    what is the preferred way to reform 30/06 brass into 9.3 x 62?
    thanks

Boolit Master
    I ran the -06 brass thru my RCBS die which comes with a tapered expander. Then fire formed them with a starting load of Varget behind a Speer 270gr softpoint as they were relatively cheap. Never had a misfire using my Mauser actioned rifle and may have lost one case out of the hundred or so I formed.
    If I were doing it now I'd use a boolit instead. They end up shorter than factory brass but quite useable.

Boolit Master
    FYI; the 9,3x62 case is .003-.004 larger at the base than the 30-06. The case, upon firing, will expand and form a bulge on one side. The mediocre dimensional case thickness lets the case swell away from the thinnest/weakest part. A few FL resizings, and you will experience case head separations. I strongly recommend using 35 Whelen brass instead. I use the PRVI 9,3x62 brass myself. It is readily available, and reasonably priced.

Boolit Grand Master
    ID SS makes a good point about base diameter differences. My full-snort loadings get put up in full-diameter brass; my cast bullet loads go in reformed 35 Whelen brass. I haven't had any base faults crop up in my lot of Rem 35 Whelen-based 9.3 x 62 brass--these are about 15 years old, and have 10-12 firings on them. I will be watching for such occurrences, though. So far--so good.

I am about fully stocked on mould designs at my house. I do think an Accurate Molds plain base design for the 9.3mm is in the cards, though. I like that #370-285D a lot, which should be good for about 1250-1400 FPS with its bare bottom. I am a huge believer that bullet weight/length increase is a valid performance booster when velocity limits rear their head, as long as rifling pitch will support that length.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes sounds like using the Privi 9.3 brass is the best way with it being available . I do have 9.3 brass and dies I bought at the same auction I bought the rifle. I bought quite a bit 3006 brass at the same auction,a lot being US military. In a Pet Loads article from years ago heavier mil spec brass was used for the case conversion. Its probably better to use that for the m1 loads, instead of mucking around with conversion
    I had Leo at Boomers Moulds build me a plain base 368- 280 grain mould to get my feet wet with the rifle. Havent shot any yet.
    thanks guys

Banned
    james23,

Before investing in 9.3x62 or .35 Whelen brass for CB loads, carefully measure your chamber. = A considerable fraction of 9.3x62 chambers are essentially the same dimensions as the case size of .30-06 brass.= Most people that I know are using .30-06 cases for CB loads, successfully & some are getting 7-10 reloads before any symptoms of case-head "problems" happen.
    (My rebored Model 760 is VERY close to the .30-06 case size & I've acquired a LOT of LC government brass FREE.)

just my OPINION, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 05-01-2017 at 05:11 PM. Reason: typo

Perma-Banned
    ken waters in Pet Loads explains this. Worked fine for him. FL resizing is unnecessary for reasonable loads. As pointed out Privi brass is available and cheap, so why bother ?