RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingPBcastco
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .30-30 Handi-Rifle Accuracy

Boolit Master
    Size to .310 then try IMR-3031 or RL-15.

These combos have worked in many 30-30's for me and others.

Boolit Grand Master
    I run through a .310 to lube an seat the GC.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I was told .308. I just pounded a .310 slug through it, measures .308.
    I neck sized the last brass and will try that. There are some .311 cast bullets on the net that weigh 160 gr. That may be a possibility as well.

Shiloh
    Neck sizing with jacketed bullet oriented dies leaves the neck the same diameter as FL dies- too small. Jamming the gas check boolit in there may expand the neck but it will also generate a lot of neck eccentricity.

A table roll test will only show wobble in the worst cases.

I agree with the other posters as far as loads, start with a known good powder and load, such as IMR 3031.

Lyman told me on the phone the modern 311041 is made to cast at .309" with Lyman #2, so pursuing .311" with alloys is likely a waste of time.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman says they are intended to be sized .309 as they still suggest .001 over groove.

Shiloh, I've had a long standing offer on Lyman moulds. Ship to me, I test, if it doesn't cast to nominal diameter I buy for what you paid plus shipping. Then you can get an NOE cut for WWs. If it casts to nominal (.311) I return the mould, pay shipping and include test bullets. All at my risk. If you're interested PM for address.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Lyman says they are intended to be sized .309 as they still suggest .001 over groove.

Shiloh, I've had a long standing offer on Lyman moulds. Ship to me, I test, if it doesn't cast to nominal diameter I buy for what you paid plus shipping. Then you can get an NOE cut for WWs. If it casts to nominal (.311) I return the mould, pay shipping and include test bullets. All at my risk. If you're interested PM for address.

Larry Gibson
    PM Sent.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I had a heck of a time getting good accuracy from my H&R M158 30-30 until 35shooter suggested moving the front rest closer to the hinge on the forearm. Much better now with all boolits.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Neck sizing with jacketed bullet oriented dies leaves the neck the same diameter as FL dies- too small. Jamming the gas check boolit in there may expand the neck but it will also generate a lot of neck eccentricity.

A table roll test will only show wobble in the worst cases.

I agree with the other posters as far as loads, start with a known good powder and load, such as IMR 3031.

Lyman told me on the phone the modern 311041 is made to cast at .309" with Lyman #2, so pursuing .311" with alloys is likely a waste of time.

-HF
    They get run through a NOE case expander.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

In Remembrance

I use a way older 311041 that drops large enough for my sizing .311" and adding the GC. I am using my 50/50 + tin alloy with 3031 powder in my Savage 219 and get decent enough accuracy to make a beer can nervous at 100 yds!Robert

Boolit Man
    The Lee 312-185 sized to. 311 works best in my Handi just using range scrap. An o ring on the forend helped a little to,make sure your scope mount is tight.

Boolit Grand Master
    I want that to be me Quicksilver.
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm going to try a little tin in the alloy next time.
    Thanks Larry Gibson for the correspondence. I have a LEE .312 185 and a LEE .312 155 on the way.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master

If you do mix up some #2 alloy odds are it will spoil you. The difference in the quality of the bullets between straight WWs and #2 is remarkable. You should see a marked improvement in the quality just by adding the tin. Enjoyed the conversation BTW, if you change your mind or just want to see what that 311041 will do w/o you going to #2 let me know. Always glad to help where I can.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    If you do mix up some #2 alloy odds are it will spoil you. The difference in the quality of the bullets between straight WWs and #2 is remarkable. You should see a marked improvement in the quality just by adding the tin. Enjoyed the conversation BTW, if you change your mind or just want to see what that 311041 will do w/o you going to #2 let me know. Always glad to help where I can.

Larry Gibson
    I'll be in touch. I still have the PM messages saved. Thanks Larry.
    I'd like to get that mold running. Conversations with other cast boils shooters have said they could not get the newer version, the 311041 running.
    They have better reports with the LEE clone of that boolit.

A friend left me a 311291 mold to try. Says it drops a full .310.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12