Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersPBcastco
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .30-30 Handi-Rifle Accuracy

Boolit Grand Master

.30-30 Handi-Rifle Accuracy

For those using a 311041 173 gr FP in a 30-30, what size do they drop at?? Mine barely makes .3095. Accuracy in a NEF Handi-Rifle is iffy.
    So far, 4" at 100 yards. I haven't slugged it, but am wondering if .310 or .311 would be better. I may borrow a 311091 RN and try it.
    An recommendations??

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

How many powders have you tried, and how many weights of each powder? You have to find the "sweet spot" in powders and charge wts. to get top accuracy. Have you really wrung that bullet out yet? Also, if you want .310 or larger, a harder alloy will often/usually cast a hair larger in diameter. That's a possibility, too.

All sorts of possibilities. We need more info.

Boolit Grand Master
    So far 17-18.5 by half grain. 4227. 15.5 4759

Best #'s from 17.5 35.61 Ex S 12.91 SD. 1640fps up to 1783fps. with above loads.
    Going to back to 4759 and work up. Gonna try 19 and 19.5 of 4227. I'd like to use a powder I can still get.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Well if it was me I would do a pound cast first to find out what I am dealing with as far as bore, lead.

I have several handi's, none in .30-30. But you need to know where to start.

From there I would say minimum is 2 thousandths larger. Might have to go to 3 or more.

I have 2 9mm's that keyhole terrible with .356 boolits, do fair with .358 better with .359 and tight groups with .360.

Powder and charge comes into it, as does lube, but start with fit. How can you fit if you don't know what your fitting?

Banned

that is true.^^

my 041 easily makes 311 but it ain't a new one.
    I size mine to 310 but only 2 of my rifles will shoot it worth beans.
    one really likes it [03A3] and the other [30-30] tolerates it, probably because of the load I'm using behind it.

Boolit Master
    My handi 30-30 mics at 302 and 309.

Had best accuracy with a lee 170 fp with the nose honed a bit fatter just a rub mark on it.

The loverin 150 shoots well in mine.

Also an old 308241 which casts 310 302ish

Mine is a bit butchered and has a loongg throat so I have a longer bearing surface than nose to reach the rifling and stay in the case.

Most problems will disappear after you slug the bore and see what you have.

Ohh mine shoots pretty well good enough.

Hope it helps

Banned

the loverign design shoots well in my bolt gun 30-30's too.

Boolit Grand Master
    Linotype alloy will give a larger cast diameter (run the mold hot) if you want a quick way to see if a larger bullet will help (assuming you have some alloy on hand). Another way to increase diameter is to powder coat.

The simplest would be to do as you suggested and buy/beg some larger diameter bullets to try out.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't done a lot of cast bullet shooting with my 30-30 Handi, just some .310" Beartooth 160 gr. RNFPs. I had concentrated on pointy full length gas check bullets (Hornady 155 A-Max gave me about 2" @ 100). IIRC I used 3031 and got fair accuracy (3"+). You might be able to find more info here http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-r...re-rifles.html
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I get pretty good results with between 15 and 16 grains of 4227 behind bullets of 170 to 190 grains. I am sizing either .310" or .311" depending on the rifle.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Those​ I loaded in my Handi-Rifle were either a 160 gr. Lee or a 168 gr. Ranch Dog gas checked and tumble lubed, or dipped per RD's instructions, and shot as cast. Both were very accurate.
    Last edited by Tom W.; 04-25-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master
    I have an original H&R (pre NEF days) Model 158 in .30-30; I did slug the bore, but it has been so long ago that I don't remember what it was. I do remember that I shot boolits sized to .311" through it though.

I don't remember trying anything at more than 25 yards, I was just getting into casting for rifles, for that matter, I think the only molds I had that were at all suitable were the Lee 312-185 and an Ideal SC 313445.

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    For those using a 311041 173 gr FP in a 30-30, what size do they drop at??
    My 2009 purchased 311041 first dropped around .3085"->.3090. I needed larger for a rifle with a bore of exactly .310". Silly me was expecting something named 311041 to drop somewhere around .311!

I returned it to Lyman, who lapped it out to, they said, .311". In fact , even with high-tin alloys, tried at different temps, it now dropped at about .3095". I found that this was enough to make my .310 bore pretty accurate, especially when gas checked in a .310" sizer.

All this is academic to you, however, since you don't have my bore or my mold. And until you buy the micrometer and slug your bore, you'll be wasting a lot of time, lead and powder, chasing the wrong variables.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Or you could beagle the mould and see how it works.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Well if it was me I would do a pound cast first to find out what I am dealing with as far as bore, lead.

I have several handi's, none in .30-30. But you need to know where to start.

From there I would say minimum is 2 thousandths larger. Might have to go to 3 or more.

I have 2 9mm's that keyhole terrible with .356 boolits, do fair with .358 better with .359 and tight groups with .360.

Powder and charge comes into it, as does lube, but start with fit. How can you fit if you don't know what your fitting?

I was told .308. I just pounded a .310 slug through it, measures .308.
    I neck sized the last brass and will try that. There are some .311 cast bullets on the net that weigh 160 gr. That may be a possibility as well.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Silly me was expecting something named 311041 to drop somewhere around .311!
    Imagine that!! Me too. My 311299 dropped at .310 on a good day. Nose was .298. Sold it. Replaced with a .314299. Drops at .312 with a nose of .302.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master

What alloy are you using?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    Water dropped wheel weights with this batch Larry.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master

That's why your bullets are under size. Lyman moulds, newer ones the last 10 +yesrs, are cut for #2 alloy. Try adding 2% tin to your WW alloy and you should get close to nominal diameter. Or use the WWs to make #2 alloy which should give you nominal+ diameter. Either way you'll get better bullets.

Larry Gibson

You'll get there, it ain't rocket science.

One way is to use some aluminum tape to make the mold throw a touch bigger. Probably want to push those through a .311 sizing die. From there it is going to depend on how big the die actually throws.

It is a journey, once you have made it from start to finish once you develop a pretty good road map. The next one is easier, having a few more tools helps.

Every step is a learning process.

Hang in there, you can do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast