MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: What Year did That Mold come out?

Boolit Buddy

What Year did That Mold come out?

I make and shoot gas check cast boolits in rifles. A few months ago I purchased a reprint of the No. 26 "The Ideal 1915 Hand Book". This is a really great little book and is evidently the first year of gas-check bullets. I was amazed to see the Lyman 311284, 311329, and 311299. Besides these there are several 7mm bullets listed;285346 and 285377(my favorite). There is lots of reloading data for a number of powders I had never heard of, but there are a few listings for Unique.

This old reprinted manual comes to you courtesy of Cornell Publications. I also have the No.34 handbook which covers years 1940-1947. These are a great buy and really good reading!.................

Boolit Grand Master
    I too like looking at old reloading manuals, but I think gas checks were developed in the first five years of the twentieth century.

Robert

Boolit Master
    The Ideal Handbook No. 17 published in 1906 contains the first mention of the "gas check cup", Mould #308284...later named 311284 was designed for the .30-40 Krag, & mould # 308291...later the 311291 was designed for the .30-06. By the time Handbook #19 came out in 1909, there were listed 15 different gas-check designs from the .25-20 up thru the .38-55. These early gas checks were designed to fall off bullet at muzzle..probably using same thought process as the earlier paper-patch was designed to do.

Boolit Buddy
    These old manuels are a BLAST! I thought I knew about everything there was to know about lead boolits, but the last two I bought sure made a fool out of me. The No.26(1915) has a good article in the back by Ed McGivern.................

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Here's a Cast Pic Link for the History of Molds, with bullet pictures. Bookmark it for your references!
    http://www.castpics.net/subsite/HistMolds/default.html
    Regards
    John