WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Ruger OM Value

Ruger OM Value

A non-shooting friend has asked to give a value on a 3-screw 357 Magnum 6.5 inch barrel with an extra 9mm cylinder. Revolver looks new and has definitely not been shot much. I think it also has the original box. I'll go to the web auction sites to look for prices, but wanted to ask here as well.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    An OM like that requires a bit more of a description.
    First off, condition, condition, condition.
    Next,, does the cylinder 3 digit number, (scratched on the face,) match the last 3 numbers of the serial? (Factory vs, added on later.)
    Next, does the serial number have a prefix number or not? Difference in production numbers and values.
    Has the gun been returned for the safety transfer bar upgrade or not? If so, does it have the original parts with it?
    The box is a big plus,,, IF,,, IF,, it is the original 2 piece BKH-36 marked box. Does he have the brown outer cardboard shipping box,, as it's the one with the info about it being a convertible. If so, it adds to value.

Thanks for the info. I'll go by and pick it up tonight and post more details.

Boolit Master
    I bought a unmodified three screw .357 convertible. it is a post 68 model which it has the hyphen in the seral number. as in xx-xxxx. it has the box and papers. I paid $550 four years ago.

OK, I have the revolver now. The 357 cylinder is etched/engraved very lightly with the 3rd serial number. Can't see three numbers. First two digits of the serial are 30 then hyphen. I can't find a similar number on the 9mm cylinder but don't have a magnifying class here - everything is in transit to AL. No box and no conversion, but it looks unfired with only a very slight drag line on the 357 cylinder.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Ok, a prefix (30-xxxxx) version is more common than the non-prefix one. They were made between 1969 & into 1971. Gently wipe the 9mm cylinder face & use a good light to see what 3 numbers are on the face. An electric pencil was used to mark them. It is very important to find these numbers,,, as many times a spare cylinder has been "lost" or even "added to" a gun.
    The missing box(s) hurt it a bit,,,.
    A plus is it's not converted.
    But the value decreases a lot with the prefix serial number. Many thousands of each barrel length were built. They were also shipped with either black recessed eagles in the grip medallions, or the later silver eagle that was raised.
    From what you have described,,, I'd say the gun only w/o any box(s) or paperwork WITH the correct 9mm cylinder,,, would bring about $600 in mint condition.