RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosin-Nagant cases

Boolit Bub

Mosin-Nagant cases

What case can be used to form the 7.62x54r (53r).

Boolit Mold
    I would just buy privi brass or if you have a hole burning in your pocket, Lapua.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hello,

No case readily available forms to 7.62x54r.

When I need new brass, I buy Winchester, S&B, PPU, Wolf Gold, etc, and shoot it. I prefer my cases fireformed.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master

They can be made from 45 70, but unless it is an emergency, it is not worth the effort. You can usually find them for less than 45 70.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Right. I don't think I've ever seen .45-70 brass around here, either.

It might be more interesting to form .45-70 from 7.62x54r...

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned there is no readily available case to easily form 7.62x54R. I have the assortment of cases Josh mentions but most of mine are Norma cases. I've some Norma cases that have been in use since '69 and have gone through many reloadings. I also have 150 brass Bulgarian cases I've converted from Berdan primed to SR boxer primers.

7.62x54R chambers and bores vary greatly. Full length sizing and even partial sizing with a FL die will lead to very short case life. Neck sizing cases dedicated to one rifle will give long case life. I use bullets, cast and jacketed, from .310 to .316 in my several MNs. I mostly use a shortened Redding .284 Win bushing die to NS. Using bushings of different diameter I can size the necks giving .002 - .003 neck tension w/o over working the necks. With my MN M91/30 PU sniper I use a Lee .308W collet die with a 1/2" washer over the case. The die is adjusted to give .002 - .003 neck tension on the .311 diameter 174 gr MK bullets.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    you can buy PPU for around .75 per round fire formed and ready for neck sizing or buy ppu brass for .45 per case. Currently im not seeing PPU in stock at the moment. it comes in waves and you generally need to buy it when it shows up. I have not seen wolf gold 54r in a very long time.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    you can buy PPU for around .75 per round fire formed and ready for neck sizing or buy ppu brass for .45 per case. Currently im not seeing PPU in stock at the moment. it comes in waves and you generally need to buy it when it shows up. I have not seen wolf gold 54r in a very long time.
    Fire formed to what? The point is to fire form to your rifle.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's available locally here. I'll have to check again.

I'm also pretty sure Winchester Metric is S&B and Wolf Gold is PPU.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Buddy
    I just bought 200 PPU from Powder Valley about 2 weeks ago so check with them.

Boolit Master
    I suppose you could use 45-70 brass, but it would be alot of work, rims turned down a little, then theres that bevel on the base, regular rim is probably to thick for the extractor.

I bought loaded ammo and kept the brass, not the S&B they use a funky primer, rifle primers wont work. I never had issues just buying the brass online.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    Fire formed to what? The point is to fire form to your rifle.
    The price of $0.75 per (vs. $0.45 for new brass) leads me to believe he meant buying loaded ammo and shooting it in your rifle.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I suppose you could use 45-70 brass, but it would be alot of work, rims turned down a little, then theres that bevel on the base, regular rim is probably to thick for the extractor.

I bought loaded ammo and kept the brass, not the S&B they use a funky primer, rifle primers wont work. I never had issues just buying the brass online.
    On S&B/Winchester? What funky primer? I have lots of reloaded S&B with LRPs.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master
    Midway has PPU ammo in stock:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...oint-box-of-20

Yes I think Mack1911 meant buy ammo/shoot it in your rifle...

Powder Valley is out of stock on the brass but has the match ammo for less $$:

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/PRVIPAmmo.shtml

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
    On S&B/Winchester? What funky primer? I have lots of reloaded S&B with LRPs.

Regards,

Josh
    Might depend on when it was made. I bought 5 boxes of S&B at my LGS, none of them take a LRP, not deep enough primer pocket.

Boolit Master
    Get a Lyman Primer pocket reamer and the problem is solved

Boolit Buddy
    Technically you can make it from 8x56R cases except:
    -x56R cases are more expensive (at least where I am)
    -case diameter by the rim is a tad larger then it should be for x 54R.You can use them in large chambered MN like most Soviet ones but it wont work in Finnish MN

I resize my split neck,used x56R cases to x54R and shoot it in 1936 Soviet MN.They work but I still have to clean cases to bright polish or the won't chamber.

Check with some of the local indoor or outdoor gun ranges that sell once fired brass or find out who they sell to. Over the past two years I have bought about 500 pieces of once fired PPU an Win. 54r brass for 15 cent a pop which I usually get in 100 piece bags for a guy that sell reloading supplies at gun shows an in a back corner of my LGS. It was cleaned and bagged but not sized and deprimed. I get 7.62 x 39 from him as well for 12 cents once fired case,just finished processing about 200 pieces and got them tagged and bagged ready to load.

Boolit Master
    Keep your eyes open on the S&S forum and you'll be able to buy some there...

Boolit Grand Master

If you have any milsurp cases that are brass and have been correctly annealed when made they can be easily converted to use boxer LR or SR primers. I have some I have been testing. They have been fired 9 times now since conversion to SR primer with 28.5 gr 4895 + Dacron filler under a 314299 and are ready for another reloading.

I also converted 106 Bulgarian cases to LR boxer primers for my M91 MN. Have no idea how many times they've been reloaded.

Larry Gibson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast