RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 41 magnum

Boolit Master
    I've some cast commercial and my own cast also, just need to work within the limits of each for now. IIRC some of the RCBS and some gas checked from a Lyman #.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Might be worth a try but I wouldn't load too many initially as 8 gr Unique may be a bit much for a soft swaged bullet as leading my become an issue. Velocities with 210 - 220 gr harder cast ran 950 - 990 fps out of my 4" M57 and 58s. Runs 1050 - 1100 fps out of my 7 1/2" Ruger Bisley.

I was thinking the exact same thing.... Alberts were always very soft and would lead very quickly if pushed... The Hornady swaged will do the same...

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    See that's my problem; I have many things in 44 and have loads all over the map, from real light special to fast "Keith " specials to low end mags just above where you can take the special to full bore crazy 320 grain monsters and have settled on a 265 swc over h110 as my all day everyday walking/deer hunting load and couldn't be happier; do I need a 41,no can I do anything with it I can't already do,nope. I'd have to buy new molds and dies and gas checks, but I still want one

The nice thing about buying a .41 is that you can rid of all the .357s and .44s....

If you look over on the Favorite Caliber Board there is a sticky on .41s...

Bob

Banned

Never saw the big attraction to it. Ive owned quite a few of them and other then 357s the 41s seem to be the first thing that goes down the road when a trade comes up. Not a bad round, not a poor killer of deer sized game. Its just that it does absolutely nothing that the 44 mag or 45 colt don't do better. Some say less recoil but id bet you if I took an N frame 4 inch 41 and 44 to the range and loaded them both with factory ammo and blind folded you and had you shoot them two minutes apart you couldn't tell the difference. If there is a difference the 44 with the same weight bullet can be loaded down to the same exact recoil level and be shoot as fast of faster. I still own a couple 41s. A clements build old model 357 frame done in a 4 5/8s 41 and an old 58 smith. I keep those two because there kind of cool. But for a hunting gun give me a 44 any day over a 41. Especially when the game gets bigger then whitetail.

Boolit Master
    For what it is worth; a friend of mine had two 7.5" Redhawks -- one was a .41 and one was a 44.
    Loads .41 --22 gr H110 210 Hornady
    .44 24 H110 240 Hornady - I watched Him shoot and he watched me-- we were just having fun 25 years ago--never thought about a comparison He said "is it just me or does the .44 kick a lot more.. ?" It was the same for me-- muzzle climb was greater in the .44 well duh
    you can not say the 44 out performs the .41 and then say it kicks the same- for normal guys with out .475 or 500 yes there is a difference .
    after shooting my son's 500 GNR ( which quickly gets to be far more than I want an yes I know it is very much below .475 LineB or the 500 LineB-- or what ever) I have no interest in those at full power . A .500 370 gr @ 1100 is plenty-it will go much higher- personally I am content with my .41's both OEM platforms and wildcats-- in revolvers, TC and soon a lever action rifle. .. As a wise man once said "a man has got to know his limitations." C Eastwood

Boolit Master
    I've a 57 for years, never shot it much other than silhouettes. Liked it but had others...

Picked up an M58 and didn't want it to lie in a drawer. Been out with it twice and will again tomorrow, weather and time permitting.

Still like the 44's, 357's et al. They each can have a place or job that it does well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234