Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 41 magnum

Boolit Man
    Life is too short to worry about getting a new revolver. If you can afford it and you want it, get it and enjoy it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Let me throw a bucket of reality in here. Aficionados have made the 41 sound as if it were the better, second coming of chocoate ice cream. Tain't so.

A good 41 is about almost as good as a good 44. But there it stops. You can type till your fingers fall off, but you are not going to change the fact that nothing is going on with the 41. It lingers on as a specialty piece but mold availability, ammo availability, component availability and even gun availability all favor the 44. I dare say there are 10 44 magnums for every 41 magnum out there--maybe more.
    Any gun that is available as a 41 is also available as a 44. If you just want to be different, go for it. I'm partial to red heads myself, but don't claim magical benefits from co-habiting with one. Like wise, don't fall for the amazing claims of excellence. Buy one or three if you want to, but be honest and say "because I want to, and because I can." Not that there is some amazing property that only the 41 has.

Now the 327, there's something special.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I really like my .41mag. But I like having oddballs . Friends can't bum ammo when they run through what they bring over to shoot

Boolit Buddy
    When I was old enough to buy a gun I wanted a Model 29, but the gun store was sold out of them. Everybody wanted one. They *did* had a Model 57 in the display, a 6" nickel, and I couldn't pass on it. It's a great caliber. I have 29's now too, and even a Pre-29 made in 1957, but I'll never get rid of my 57's. I really like them.

Boolit Master
    Popularity and availability, or likability does not make the .44 or .41 better-- a deer or hog -- is not likely to know it was shot with a .429 or a .41 bullet-- - I live in West Ten and find .41 stuff is easy-- that is all i can speak to... no doubt the .44/429 is more popular
    I currently have a 500 GNR -- after shooting
    that the .41& 429 are two peas in a pod-
    i have the .41's mostly because I was given a lot of .41 stuff and happened to have a 6.5" Bhawk--I got laid off and sold my .44 -- and have stayed with the.41 since then-- it was fine by me-- and have used up to 296 grain cast or 275 gr hp-- in my DWA they were good
    I have had a .454 /.45 Colt but in the end the .41 was & is fine for me-- actually if the .475 had been around in the 70's I doubt I would have ever used a .41 or .44

Boolit Master
    I was a late starter on the 41 magnum. If I had started with the 41 magnum rather than the 44, I doubt I would have looked much farther. I listened to a lot of folks that at the time, I thought they knew what they were talking about. A bunch of parrots for the most part, repeating what they had heard.

Not to get off track, why is the 327 somthing special?
    I have a couple, but they don't come close to what I can do with my 32-20 of a modern platform. A nice cartridge, is what the 32 mag should have been, yet it wants to be what the 32-20 can do.
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    i have a few of them a round here all 3 screw rugers. they all shoot great. in fact if I was to be dropped in the middle of no where I could do quite well with one. but then I could say the same about the .357 the .44 or even a .45 colt. but it is nice to have another useful caliber to use shoot and load for.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Driver33 View Post
    I really like my .41mag. But I like having oddballs . Friends can't bum ammo when they run through what they bring over to shoot
    The .41 magnum is getting to be an "odd" round outside of our circle or like minded shooters. Even during its police use in the 70s and 80s, it has really only been a "niche" round for dyed in the wool aficionados.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

I like the .41 Magnum and have for many years. I don't try to make my .357 Magnum a .41 Magnum and I don't try to make my .41 Magnum a 44 Magnum. I appreciate and use each for their intended capabilities.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Some time around 1980 bought the first 41 Mag a Dan Wesson. Then later realized with the 45 Colts about the 44 (43 mag) was right in the middle of those two calibers. So out went the so called 44's. No regrets !
    Only 44's in our cabinet are the fine 44 Specials we like so much.
    Still have all the 41 mags we ever bought. Something about that caliber just seems to fit what we need to get done. And thanks to Henry Rifles we can each have a 41 mag carbine to make very personal.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Bucket List

My "Bucket list" was a Smith 25-2 in 45 ACP. Got a 657 6 in in 1986 . "Buy the best you can and cry only once"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 008.JPG  

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    When I was old enough to buy a gun I wanted a Model 29, but the gun store was sold out of them. Everybody wanted one. They *did* had a Model 57 in the display, a 6" nickel, and I couldn't pass on it. It's a great caliber. I have 29's now too, and even a Pre-29 made in 1957, but I'll never get rid of my 57's. I really like them.

Exactly as my father came to the 41. His was a 6" no dash. I have several
    Now.

Boolit Master

Another deal just fell through; I have a wish for one,the means to buy one it just everyone I look at someone else seems to need much worse than me! O well some times the hunt for the thing is as good or better than the thing.

Boolit Master
    The 41 Mag is a great round. It can, and will, perform outstandingly in every reasonable condition you might conceive.
    Arguements in favor, or against, any cartridge or firearm are easy to spew out.
    Anyone that doesn't recognize the 41 Mag as an excellent all-around choice in a medium-to-large bore pistol cartridge (including any medium game you might define) is simply someone that knows nothing about the round, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Boolit Master
    Shoot a 250 gr. bullet in both & tell me something could live on the difference. There is a difference but it's very, very small. I guess that's why they make chocolate & vanilla......so we have a choice!

Dick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    Just picked up a model 58, looking forward to shooting it later today.

What loads have you used in it in the past?

My other is an 8 3/8 model 57, used for silhouettes when it was popular. Don't need 200m loads for the 58.

8.0 grains of Unique with a good cast 210-220 grain bullet will duplicate the original factory POLICE load at 950+- fps... Very VERY accurate and easy on the hand.

Also shoot a Keith HP with 9.0 grains for 1100 fps for a round that will expand and 10.0 for 1180 with a PentaPoint for hunting with the Smiths...

Bob

Boolit Master

8.0 grains of Unique with a good cast 210-220 grain bullet will duplicate the original factory POLICE load at 950+- fps... Very VERY accurate and easy on the hand.
    That's good advice and it's also about all I shoot out of my Model 58.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I'll try the 8 Gr Unique load this weekend. I have some Albert swaged 210's that I loaded with 5.0 Gr Bullseye, easy on the recoil and were able to lob some in at 100 yds. Prolly 800 FPS??

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    That's good advice and it's also about all I shoot out of my Model 58.
    8 gr Unique.....same as I use with the Lee TL41-210-SWC and the RCBS 41-210-KT........great load.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    I'll try the 8 Gr Unique load this weekend. I have some Albert swaged 210's that I loaded with 5.0 Gr Bullseye, easy on the recoil and were able to lob some in at 100 yds. Prolly 800 FPS??
    Might be worth a try but I wouldn't load too many initially as 8 gr Unique may be a bit much for a soft swaged bullet as leading my become an issue. Velocities with 210 - 220 gr harder cast ran 950 - 990 fps out of my 4" M57 and 58s. Runs 1050 - 1100 fps out of my 7 1/2" Ruger Bisley.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast