RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 41 magnum

Boolit Master

41 magnum

I did something that I almost never do ; I took a sick day at work, running a small family business it just makes more work for everyone else and makes my work load double for the next 2 days. It's not even to do something fun or hunt or just because it's beautiful out which it is but I'm really sick,seems to be stomach head and chest started about 3am this morning and it feels like a cross between the worst hangover I've ever had and the body aches of hell week at Paris Island!
    Whats got me worried is the head part; I've been up all night reading about the misunderstood overlooked neglected gem 41 magnum! It sounds so good looks so good on paper, those whom have them are often fanatical about them. I have 357s and many 44 mags actually I have and have had more weapons in 44 than anything else except 7.62x54r. So am I missing the boat, is this 41 the great walking around woods loafing hunting lighter big game caliber? I'm trying to talk my myself into one but two long time friends and very accomplished pistoleros I know have booth had and than sold 41s, though neither can pin point why or share any great flaw so I've come here to ask y'all why do you love or hate it?

ADMIN

I love 41 mag.
    I own a 1894 Marlin Lever, a 3 inch magna ported 657, and a 6 inch 657.
    I like it because it has more power then 357 mag but isn't as bad of recoil as 44 mag.

My dad got me into this round. I have maybe 5K cases. Mostly new starline.
    I have cast up 4K boolits sitting on the shelf and currently have about 2K loaded rounds.
    Its funny that I haven't shot it in about 3 years. Life has me busy lately.

Lately 40 cal has been my thing. Its what I carry and I have been shooting it more to get better.
    I picked up a sweet conversion (rifle). Its basically a SEMI-UMP that shoots 40 cal. Has 30 rd mags. I love it A LOT.

Anyway, if you cast then 41 mag you will love.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    There is a good discussion of 41 vs. 44 magnum including history as well as performance issues in the reloading subfourum of the S&W forum as we speak.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Banned

It seems like a good compromise between the .357 and the .44
    No good reason not to get one
    If you reload as most do here, then you can download a .44 mag and just move on.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    It seems like a good compromise between the .357 and the .44
    No good reason not to get one
    If you reload as most do here, then you can download a .44 mag and just move on.
    See that's my problem; I have many things in 44 and have loads all over the map, from real light special to fast "Keith " specials to low end mags just above where you can take the special to full bore crazy 320 grain monsters and have settled on a 265 swc over h110 as my all day everyday walking/deer hunting load and couldn't be happier; do I need a 41,no can I do anything with it I can't already do,nope. I'd have to buy new molds and dies and gas checks, but I still want one

None of us 41 guys (that I know of anyway) bought a 41 because we were lacking in anything other than another caliber to load for and play with. It shoots relatively flat, has great knockdown, yet doesn't really smash your knuckles. I own 357s and 44s, yet I still grab a 41 most of the time. I own an 1894FG, an 8" Smith 657, several Ruger 41 blackhawks (NM and OM), one 41 Ruger Bisleys, and enough .41 molds to be embarrassed if anyone really finds out. I have leftover cans of just about any kind of powder you can shoot out of the 41, and liked them all! I will probably buy any other 41s that come my way with an attractive price. Is it a cult, probably. Is it addictive, definitely. Is it making a really big "comeback"? Nope, but it never really took off anyway because the 357 and 44 were already here. Every once in a while, I pick one up pretty reasonably because the owner doesn't reload and can't find or afford ammo. They never shot it enough to even know if they liked it.

If you're looking to gain something big over a 357 or a 44, don't buy it. If you are like the rest of us, and you want to try something different, jump on board. You will never know what it's like until you try it. What else in life can you buy to try, and if you don't like it, get back most if not all of your money back (if you buy used).

I really haven't ran into anyone who regretted buying one, but I have ran into several people who regretted selling theirs. I guess that last sentence really sums it up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by huntrick64 View Post
    None of us 41 guys (that I know of anyway) bought a 41 because we were lacking in anything other than another caliber to load for and play with. It shoots relatively flat, has great knockdown, yet doesn't really smash your knuckles. I own 357s and 44s, yet I still grab a 41 most of the time. I own an 1894FG, an 8" Smith 657, several Ruger 41 blackhawks (NM and OM), one 41 Ruger Bisleys, and enough .41 molds to be embarrassed if anyone really finds out. I have leftover cans of just about any kind of powder you can shoot out of the 41, and liked them all! I will probably buy any other 41s that come my way with an attractive price. Is it a cult, probably. Is it addictive, definitely. Is it making a really big "comeback"? Nope, but it never really took off anyway because the 357 and 44 were already here. Every once in a while, I pick one up pretty reasonably because the owner doesn't reload and can't find or afford ammo. They never shot it enough to even know if they liked it.

If you're looking to gain something big over a 357 or a 44, don't buy it. If you are like the rest of us, and you want to try something different, jump on board. You will never know what it's like until you try it. What else in life can you buy to try, and if you don't like it, get back most if not all of your money back (if you buy used).

I really haven't ran into anyone who regretted buying one, but I have ran into several people who regretted selling theirs. I guess that last sentence really sums it up.
    that sums it up
    Attachment 193966
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Bought my first one in 1967 (model 57 S&W) & I've had one every since then. Is it better than the 44, nope, is it as good, probably with correct bullets. Shoot a 250 gr. bullet in both & nothing can live on the difference. Took my very first elk with a 41 magnum & also my last elk with a different 41 magnum. Both were one shot kills with complete penetration. My favorite bullet for most of those years has been a 230 gr. Keith & a good charge of 2400 powder. Many deer & one black bear have also fell too my 41 magnums & accuracy has always been easy to find in several different guns including the current 5 1/2" Bisley, the same one I used on that last elk at a tick over 70 yds with iron sights. I stood next to a friend a few years ago when he dropped a very nice bull moose with one shot from his Ruger 41 magnum using a cast slug as it faced us head on & he placed the bullet perfectly at the base of the throat at 62 yds, what's not to like about the 41 magnum.

Dick

Boolit Master

Book marked with interest
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

I agree with most of the others here. Do you "need" it? Probably not. Will you like it? Maybe, maybe not. Are they fun? You bet!! I have an older Ruger Redhawk, a Blackhawk, and a Marlin FG. I need all 3 for some silly reason. JW

Boolit Master

See gents this is the enabling behavior I was afraid of, you get a wild thought like a 41 in your head and everyone says "get one they are so wonderful " and then a local guy whom you deal and trade with just happens to have a Blackhawk in that flavor for sale!

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I bought my first .41Magnum, Ruger BlackHawk probably 30 years or so ago from a co-worker.
    Hooked immediately...I have put thousands of handloads both cast and jacketed through that handgun over the years.
    A few years later, I added a S&W Model 57 that simply reaffirmed my belief that this cartridge is a perfect combination of power and controllability that provides excellent accuracy with 215gr LSWC and Hornady 215gr HP/XTP when handloaded with tested powders such as 2400, 296 and Unique.

Last fall, I came across a very slightly used Ruger BlackHawk in .41Magnum in a local gunshop. I didn't really need another .41Magnum but for $315US, I couldn't pass up the deal. FWIW, that is the most I have paid for any of my .41Magnum handguns. I haven't had it out to the range yet due to ongoing health issues but I have every confidence that it will be a worthwhile addition to my SA revolver collection.

I think everyone who shoots handguns should at least try the .41Magnum. It is one of three or four calibers that I shoot the most out of SA revolvers, the other three being .357Mag, .45Colt and .44Spl.
    Is it my favorite??? Hard to say...I tend to think what I am shooting at the moment to be my favorite, but I wouldn't want to be without it in my collection.

This really is a very good, underappreciated cartridge that deserves to be more popular.

Boolit Man
    The 41 mag is capable of one thing some 357 loads & the 44 cant do. That is not beat up an N frame Smith in short order with sane magnum loads. Ive had two 29's & know of others that havent done well shooting heavy loads with it. It's been my experience that 357 in the N frame can flame cut badly with some loads & not just hot loaded 125 grain. Ive put a few pawls in my 57, when the timing went bad. There is a bit of erosion however it still shoots as well as it did new.

The N frame & 41 mag go together like peanutbutter & jelly. Im a Ruger fanboy. But when it come to the 41 mag my thoughts are.... the model 57 Smith & Wesson with sane loads, is the best all around, most handy platform for this caliber....Jeff
    Last edited by Kawriverrat; 04-25-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

As a castbooliteer, the 41 holds advantages over the 44. Manufacturers make all the 41 guns to the same/similar specs, but the 44 has it's quirks with separate and different SAAMI specs for Rifle and pistol...add to that, some foreign manufacturers chose to make their pistols to Rifle specs, so they don't have to have twice the tooling. Just recently Ruger came out with a SP-100 in 44 spl, and guess what, a couple castboolit members report their gun's had cylinder throats measuring .434 making me believe Ruger's whole first batch was that way, maybe? And I suppose that could happen to any new product by any manufacturer, but it's a 44 and with the SAAMI rifle specs, it would probably be acceptable by some...Rossi for one, I had a older Rossi 720 revolver with .434 throats.

Now, if you are all setup to cast and load for all your 44 guns, there would be no need to add a 41, as I consider them equal enough, if you reload and cast your own...so again, no need to buy a 41, unless you want to.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 04-25-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    got rid of my 41's back in the mid 80's I had a mod 58 smith and a 3 screw 6 1/2 ruger Blackhawk. I was casting and loading for 357 mag. 41mag, 44mag and 45 colt. I got tired of changing dies. keeping brass separate etc. A year ago this month the local gun shop had a 4 5/8 3 screw Blackhawk mint condition. made in 1967 for $500 offered them $450 and to my surprise I owned it. I'm shooting the heck out of it and sorry I sold my other 2

Boolit Master

Enablers one and all!!! Thank you truly for the good input; it's on the list,my list anyhow ,just got the wife's list and it includes new windows.... which cost slot more than I have to spend on guns; but it's been a good easy year for getting fire wood with the most damaging wind storm in state history last month so maybe after selling some cordage I can do both; guns and windows!

My favorite revolver cartridge, period. .38 special is second. I don't own one at the moment but I'm looking for an older 4-5/8" Blackhawk at a decent price.

Boolit Master

Get a .41 Magnum, and then get some 41 Special cases from Starline brass. Put target/general purpose loads in the Special brass, magnum loads in Magnum brass. Life will be good.

Some folks claim that the Special cases produce better accuracy than the Magnum cases when used for sub-magnum loads. I don't know if that is necessarily true, but I can say that 220 cast Keith+7.0 Unique + Special brass gives me the best groups I've ever shot with my S&W 657.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 04-28-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Get a .41 Magnum, and then get some 41 Special cases from Starline brass. Put target/general purpose loads in the Special brass, magnum loads in Magnum brass. Life will be good.
    I bought Starline nickel plated brass for my full tilt hunting loads and my cast everyday loads were put up in regular brass.
    I have a 3 screw(factory converted to transfer bar).357 that I may have converted to .41 special some day.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know , I just like it....it suits me.
    My avatar is a model 58 S&W 41 magnum.
    She's my baby and likes to go dancing. Extremely accurate with cast boolits. It's a keeper.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast