Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 41 magnum

Boolit Master
    Hard to add much to the above posts. I'll try.

If you have to ask why,,, you just don't understand.

Boolit Mold

I've always been a .357 fan, but .41 is my go-to. Bought a DA 6.5" .44 years ago & hated it. Not fun at all & hard to shoot well. One of my dad's friends was a die hard .41 guy & let me shoot his .41 Blackhawk & I've been hooked ever since.

I realize my "collection" might seem pretty meager to most here, but of my 4 SA revolvers, 2 are .41s & I just got my mitts on a Henry .41 carbine. Very fun, very potent round & it's nothing for me to shoot 200-300 rounds per range session. I doubt it would "replace" anything in the OP's lineup, but will make a hell of a nice addition.
    Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben.

I bought a 58 when 1st out back in 60s and a Blackhawk when they came out. Later I bought a
    57. I shoot a lot of revolvers. I have always had a bucket of 44 mags and shot them all the time.
    I had a good many 357s also. Even today I have a couple 57s. I never saw much difference in the
    41 & 44 mags. If you didn't own either one and was in the market for a magnum pistol either one
    would be a good choice. Recoil is result of the weight of bullet and charge. Both can be loaded
    up or down to match the other. So that arguement don't fly. So it is more personal choice than
    a practical matter. Anymore I have been shooting 38sp 44sp & .45Colt more than any of the mags. I have seen where guys are having 41sp made up. Different strokes for different folks.Attachment 194181Attachment 194182

Boolit Master

I recently purchased my first 41 Mag, a non-converted 6.5" Blackhawk made in 1969. I haven't even fired it yet, using the past several weeks to gather the accoutrements needed to cast and load some rounds.
    Oddly enough, I have owned loading dies for the 41 Mag for probably 10 years. I don't remember how or exactly when I acquired the dies. This marks the first time I've purchased a firearm to keep my already-owned dies company. Perhaps I had a sub-conscious plan all along.

I was hoping to shoot it today, but the weather is not cooperating - hail and heavy rain not being conducive to using my small outdoor range out behind the barn.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    I recently purchased my first 41 Mag, a non-converted 6.5" Blackhawk made in 1969. I haven't even fired it yet, using the past several weeks to gather the accoutrements needed to cast and load some rounds.
    Oddly enough, I have owned loading dies for the 41 Mag for probably 10 years. I don't remember how or exactly when I acquired the dies. This marks the first time I've purchased a firearm to keep my already-owned dies company. Perhaps I had a sub-conscious plan all along.

I was hoping to shoot it today, but the weather is not cooperating - hail and heavy rain not being conducive to using my small outdoor range out behind the barn.
    Buying dies does tend to lead to buying firearms for them.
    I was given about 1000 once fired military 7.62 cases years ago, that lead to me buying dies , next I got a 30 cal. boolit mould (I have three other 30 cal. rifles) . I haven't found the rifle just yet , but I know the right deal will pop up...that's just the way things work out !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I had 2 sets of dies and over 600 pieces of brass, for many years, before ever finding a 41 to play with.
    What in the heck took me so long? There are now several, and their my favorites. Less punishment for equal performance. What's not to love?
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    I will be buried with my 6" Model 57 I bought back in the early 80's. My 4" and my Henry will go to my son.

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    I will be buried with my 6" Model 57 I bought back in the early 80's. My 4" and my Henry will go to my son.
    Uh....Exactly where are you going to be buried? Wanna pay my respects, of course, with a shovel!!! Just kidding, I understand the connection.

Boolit Master
    I was actually looking 44 Magnum this week and there were none to be had at the gun shops near me. The last place had a 5.5" Redhawk in .41 and I thought, "why not?"
    Sounds like I made a good choice, even though the Blackhawks and 57s appear to be more common.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been a fan since 1967. My Air Force room mate in Pinedale Wyoming scored a 4 5/8" three screw Ruger and we shot a bunch of rock chucks with it . He was killed in South East Asia in 1969 and that married me to the 41 Mag ever since. Had S&W 657's and even a Freedom Arms Model 83. Now have a no dash S&W 57. I have sold my 44's and just have the 41 and a S&W 686-3. Only keeping the 357 for a family member who loves it and it will be her's when I am done. The 41 Mag in my opinion is the the perfect revolver round to have. The need for any thing more powerfull is a rifle.

Full Disclosure, I DID NOT read all the posts above. Sort of skimmed them. I am a .41 Nut. As for enabling how's this.

Nagantguy, I know you are in Michigan, I forget where but we are sort of neighbors if I remember correctly. I am in Jackson County. I have several Ruger variations along with a Marlin Cowboy 1894 and a Henry. If we can make schedules etc match I would be willing to bring the guns and ammo, you can shoot what intrigues you.
    For completely NON-GUN Related reasons a couple are even available so maybe you better plan to bring your CPL Purchase Form and some cash
    by the way The Whitetail in my Avatar was killed with the 6.5" Blue Blackhawk .41 I am holding
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master
    As long as you're a reloader the .41 is a gem. If you aren't 100% into reloading, stick with the .44s.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    I was actually looking 44 Magnum this week and there were none to be had at the gun shops near me. The last place had a 5.5" Redhawk in .41 and I thought, "why not?"
    Sounds like I made a good choice, even though the Blackhawks and 57s appear to be more common.
    Hey congrats I thing you will like it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

A 220 gr Lee swc(discontinued) over 9 grs Unique was my everyday farm carry load in the 4-5/8" OM Blackhawk I had as a young whippersnapper.

Boolit Master

Count me in on the .41 band wagon. I've been loading and shooting for a Model 58 since my LEO days. It's just the perfect melding of power and shootability. My favorite load mimics the old police load of a 210 grain SWC (swaged) at about 1,000 fps. I use the 210 grain RCBS SWC bullet over 8 grains of Unique for about 900 fps out of my 4" barrel. It's 38 Special accurate; yet in the N Frame S&W, still very comfortable to shoot.

JSnover,

Regarding that Redhawk in 41, I'd have bought that in a minute. Lucky you!
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

41 mag is really neat

The only downside is less bullet choices than 357 or 44

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Banned

You guys need to stop. There's a nice long barreled Black Hawk in .41 nearby and I've been fighting the urge to trade something off for it. I need to load and cast for another cartridge like I need a hole in my head, but something about the .41 intrigues me.

If I own that revolver soon, I'm holding all of you responsible, LOL.

Get it, you won't regret it. There is something magical about .41's -mike

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I don't know , I just like it....it suits me.
    My avatar is a model 58 S&W 41 magnum.
    She's my baby and likes to go dancing. Extremely accurate with cast boolits. It's a keeper.
    Gary
    Just picked up a model 58, looking forward to shooting it later today.

What loads have you used in it in the past?

My other is an 8 3/8 model 57, used for silhouettes when it was popular. Don't need 200m loads for the 58.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast