RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: 45 colt 290 grain cowboy load

Boolit Man

45 colt 290 grain cowboy load

Hello everyone,

injust put out a Henry lever action carbine on layaway at buds. It's the one with the steel receiver. I believe it has the 1:16 twist. I would like to shoot the NOE 454290 plain base bullets out of it, but would like to load some of them in the 700 fps range. Do you think this could be done with reasonable accurac, or should I just go for 200 grain bullet weights for these loads? I don't have a mold yet and was trying to get one I could use for hunting and plinking.

Thanks in advance.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use Accurate 45-290H with good accuracy in .455 Rook Rifle with 3.5 grains of Bullseye in . 87" .455 Mk1 case, 5 grains of Bullseye in .45 Schofield case and 7 grains of Bullseye in .45 Colt case.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Most Cowboy Shooters use the 200 gr. RNFP bullet for the .45 Colt. These are thrown from a Magma mold, but I believe other makers offer it.

It's an excellent bullet for both the .45 Colt and the .45 acp. Here's a link to that bullet so you'll know the design:

http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...ry=17&keywords=

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Another plus is you get more bullets per pound of alloy, but still get to shoot the .45 Colt. I shoot these through my .45 Colt Blackhawks and Marlin 1894 Cowboy rifles.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

This is just from memory but I think that I read that Henry recommends that you not go over 265 gr on the 45 colt. I believe any bigger and it has problems cycling. Someone with a .45 Colt Henry can hopefully jump in here and correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Mold
    This is true. I tried to load 250gr Barnes and they wouldn't cycle unless I seated them below the canalure

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    I'll have to look at the specs on the bullets I choose to load. More specifically, the max length the billet can protrude from a case and still have the rifle function reliably. If any of you have that number I would greatly appreciate it. I would imagine a Barnes bullet, and some jacketed bullets may tend to be longer than their all lead counterparts. I would further venture to speculate Henry is implying jacketed bullets when recommending bullet weights 260 grains and under, however that's only a guess. Thanks for the responses and keep them comin!