MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 44 Mag Revolver Considerations

Banned

Fear is real. Going to KICK. It is why I teach backwards, heavy first until they see it does not hurt, then smaller guns. Give a guy a .357 with .38 loads and then go full .357. What will he do?

I carry a 6.5 inch barrel Blackhawk OM 44 in a shoulder holster with 240gr Lyman SWCs when hog hunting with a handgun here in the palmetto swamps of fL. There is no second shot with a 44 because of recoil and the hog is usually about 30 feet away when you first see it, it can reach about 30mph in two steps. You best have your one shot groove on.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Fear is real. Going to KICK. It is why I teach backwards, heavy first until they see it does not hurt, then smaller guns. Give a guy a .357 with .38 loads and then go full .357. What will he do?

My wife thought our SRH(7.5bbl) was more fun to shoot than her brand new LCR .357 snubbie. My DIL felt the same way & had more fun with the .44 mag than the other weapons she fired. (.22,.410ga small all the way up to 12ga/30-06.Pistols & longguns both). I do not know of any who fear the weapon as you say they do. Even my grandboys look forward to shooting..

I must run with more courageous ladies & children than you do... Can't imagine "men" being fearful. You must not be referring to "men". ( < you can consider that purple like sarcasm, but really, I was just picking on the ones who might be afraid to fire a .44, as I think it is silly. You can tell them I said so, too.
    LOL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Hard to fault this combo for an all-around array. I am looking to trade a 5.5" Redhawk for something else, and replace the RH with a Bisley Blackhawk x 7.5". The Redhawk has served well for 18 years, but having a S&W Mtn Gun x 4" kind of duplicates the shorter-tubed RH a bit. A friend lacking funds (but having guns) REALLY WANTS the RH, and he is a good guy. So, off it will go. I already have BisHawks x 7.5" in 357 Mag and 45 Colt--and love them--so the 44 seems like a good replacement that gives me more barrel length for hunting and recreation.

Just some random observations from a long-time 44 Magnum devotee........the 7.5" RH has less subjective recoil effect for me than does the 5.5" variant. You buy a RH/BH/SBH to use Thor's Hammer-type loads, so I would take every advantage that I could. Blue-steel vs. stainless? Ain't no thang where I live, which is desert-like. The year I spent living 4 blocks from the surf in San Diego County raised havoc with a lot of my steel tools, though. Pick your metal and finish based on your residence and recreational climate. Blue steel is beautiful, no 2 ways about it--but salt air to gun metal is like Father Time for athletes--utterly undefeated.

Load selections for the S&W rollerpistols.......Ol' Elmer Keith had a real good thought many years ago when discussing load strength for the 44 caliber revolvers using his Lyman #429421 bullet--"1200 FPS is all you need". Taking that thought a bit further, he stated that he limited his use of even those loads to about 500 rounds/year. Since most folks looking on here are handloaders, we have the ability to tailor our loadings to a more restrained level. I find about 90% of my 44 Magnum shooting gets done with #429421 run between 950 and 1100 FPS--8.5 grains and 10.5 grains of Unique, respectively. easily managed in the relatively light-framed M-29 x 4", and positively docile in the RH. EVERYBODY with a Ruger wants to try out the Mastodon Flattener load strengths, sooner or later--enjoy them/endure them, but "come home" to gentler recoil for all-day shooting pleasure.
    I failed to mention my blued 7 1/2" Redhawk has a Leupold 2x in factory Ruger rings . So that's more for deer/black bear/targets .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master
    I have yet to mount glassware on any handguns that I own. I do look at the Ruger BisHawk Hunter x 44 Magnum with wistful glances, though. And S/A rollers can come in to CA without much fuss & bother. We'll see--I am pretty well-set on on a 44 Mag BisHawk.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    Okay now you guys went and did it
    I just bought a 4"S&W Model 29 off GB
    my wife even likes it
    now I have to sell my flat top 44 special but oh well
    thats the way it goes round here can only shoot 1 at a time
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    I do like mine, sir.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Okay now you guys went and did it
    I just bought a 4"S&W Model 29 off GB
    my wife even likes it
    now I have to sell my flat top 44 special but oh well
    thats the way it goes round here can only shoot 1 at a time
    I had a 4" 629 before and really want to replace it . And most likely will before the end of the year !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

The pistol I own that I hate shooting the most is not one of the 44 I own but the meek little Ruger LCP in 380. The gun hurts me more then any other gun I have ever shot. Also, I am not some little wimpy looking nerdy type of guy. I am 6'2.5" and weigh in at over 350 lbs.

If you ever wonder if you are afraid of your gun, have someone else load it for you leaving a couple of empty cylinders. If you don't flinch on the empty cylinders you are not afraid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post

My wife thought our SRH(7.5bbl) was more fun to shoot than her brand new LCR .357 snubbie. My DIL felt the same way & had more fun with the .44 mag than the other weapons she fired. (.22,.410ga small all the way up to 12ga/30-06.Pistols & longguns both). I do not know of any who fear the weapon as you say they do. Even my grandboys look forward to shooting..

I must run with more courageous ladies & children than you do... Can't imagine "men" being fearful. You must not be referring to "men". ( < you can consider that purple like sarcasm, but really, I was just picking on the ones who might be afraid to fire a .44, as I think it is silly. You can tell them I said so, too.
    LOL
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    The pistol I own that I hate shooting the most is not one of the 44 I own but the meek little Ruger LCP in 380. The gun hurts me more then any other gun I have ever shot. Also, I am not some little wimpy looking nerdy type of guy. I am 6'2.5" and weigh in at over 350 lbs.

If you ever wonder if you are afraid of your gun, have someone else load it for you leaving a couple of empty cylinders. If you don't flinch on the empty cylinders you are not afraid of it.
    What made ya think "I" was afraid of shooting any firearm? I love shooting all kinds of them, never been afraid to shoot a working firearm in my life. I have refused to fire one that was in disrepair,(< bolt would not stay on locked position) but I would not call that "afraid", I would call that pretty doggone smart.

Could you maybe explain your words underlined above? Perhaps I am misunderstanding them.

That was meant, more or less, as a general statement for everyone. It just slipped in well under your post.

I am the type that will try any firearm once as long as it appears to be in good condition. Anybody have a .577 Nitro express I can try?

The under lined portion is just what it says. If you don't know where the empty is you cannot anticipate it and the flinch will show up. If you don't flinch on the empty you have absolutely no fear of the gun or recoil. I still anticipate recoil and fear it or my target groups would be much better.

Also, I should have said chambers not cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    What made ya think "I" was afraid of shooting any firearm? I love shooting all kinds of them, never been afraid to shoot a working firearm in my life. I have refused to fire one that was in disrepair,(< bolt would not stay on locked position) but I would not call that "afraid", I would call that pretty doggone smart.

Could you maybe explain your words underlined above? Perhaps I am misunderstanding them.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for your clarification.

Your post following mine, with mine quoted below your comments, was why i thought you were directing your post to me.

Boolit Bub
    For purposes of hunting, I would go with a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk. The cylinders on these are a touch longer than those on the Smith M-29, and I believe they are a touch longer than those on the Ruger single actions.

Perchance you want to load some of the heavier, longer cast boolits for 44 Magnum, the Redhawk and Super Redhawks will accommodate them, but the others will not. I loaded some SSK 320gr cast with Win 296 using the lower crimp groove. The end of the boolit protruded from the M-29 such that the cylinder could not be closed, but they fit just fine in the SRH. It's been a few years back, but I killed my last deer with that load with the 7.5" SRH (+4X Leupold) rested at 105 yards. One shot, one kill.

Prior to the hunt, I practiced grip, trigger release etc. with 240gr LSWC and 9gr Unique. Then I zeroed and practiced a little with the big loads. I didn't clean it until after the hunt. Seems like my SRH likes a few fouling shots down the barrel before it stabilizes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234